Wood DIY Tournament set in the making (2 Viewers)

M1893

Sitting Out
Reaction score
hi all,

wanted to create this thread to talk about my current idea... but first start with me: 35 y old guy from germany, playing sometimes small rounds with my people and interested in wood stuff and diy.....this is why i thought, why not replace my crap china set with a WOOD poker chip set.

Wood is "my" material so the idea came up to build a small tournament set for my homegames (usually about 4-8 players, 1 table). The chips will be much lighter than clay for sure, but i like the look of stained wood and the showing grain lines.

The chips are available as pre-cut discs in pretty nice format (43mm x 3,2mm) so this fits exactly my need for a oversize set :). The numbers will be burned in.

Now I have to figure out which colors to use - my cloth is green, so i want something matching and vibrant. Still in choosing process but tips are welcome for sure :)

I already read a ton about blinds and game structures here, we want to stick to T10.000 structure with 12-12-5-6 (25, 100, 500, 1000) or 12-17-6-5. Is this structure good for my purpose (loving the idea to keep it simple with just 4 colors) and 1-2 games per evening ?

Pics will follow within the build phase for sure , im about to order the discs atm.

Looking forward to hear from you guys :)

Miro

I have some veneered MDF i have made promotional chips out of on my laser. Has more weight than real wood so they turn out nice.

Only reason I don’t make a full set is lack of edge spots.

This could be potentially cool. Initial thought is to go for woods with as much contrast as possible, something like maple, walnut, ebony, Purple Heart, cocobolo for the different denominations, otherwise you're going to have a lot of potential confusion in stacks and pots.

This could be potentially cool. Initial thought is to go for woods with as much contrast as possible, something like maple, walnut, ebony, Purple Heart, cocobolo for the different denominations, otherwise you're going to have a lot of potential confusion in stacks and pots.
Honestly the way I would do it is to use all the same wood and then just use wood dye to get the colours. It is available it lots of very vibrant colours

I remember a thread about wooden chips a few months ago. Doing it and customizing for yourself = go for it. Manufacture in bulk hoping to sell it to the masses = not such a good idea.

Your main problem will be finding enough varieties of wood that will keep their colour and will be enough of a difference. For example padauk is a great wood for a nice vibrant red but you'll have to put a pretty decent layer of UV protection to stop it turning brown over time.

Padauk, purple heart, maple for a whiteish chip and walnut for dark brown. Maybe cherry for a medium brown. 5 colours so 5 denominations - should be doable. Throw in yellow heart for a 6th...

Hi all, thank you for the replies !
I will go the amish Rabbi way, stain em all in different colors , all same birch wood...see the blanks:
67EAB909-30F6-4C0B-AC5F-AD5F38CFD772.jpeg

The numbers will be burned like in this previous project from last summer:

093A17B4-34A3-4DF5-B8AF-500F09668027.jpeg

Any color suggestions ?

Burn them a dark brown. ;)

On a more serious note - you can make a traditional AC color set using colors natural to wood. Consider a whitewash for the 1, a very red cherry stain for the 5, find a good "raw wood" green for the 25, an ebony black for the 100 (you'll need to fill the engraved denom with something for contrast color), and go for simulated purpleheart on the 500. Since you made your 1 white, you can find a very yellow version of, say beech or pine, to use as the top-value chip. (Not recommended if the 1 is "natural" colored, because of chip confusion... unless you make your top-value an oversize chip!)

(Reminder: it's your set. You do not have to start all tourney sets at 25.)

Good replies, will think about it for sure.
Atm im liking this combo most
400E6C56-0ADE-4D89-B871-5DED08757BB4.jpeg

Maybe with a white for the few 5000s (unsure if i need them)

Chips are ordered, hope they will be here end of the month.

In the meantime i will try out the burning and colors (and post some of it too)

Chips are here and im satisfied with the quality, stack well and very smooth right out of the box...but - they sent me 38mm standard instead of 44mm size, not sure if i keep them or return

I have a ton of 3.5" wood pucks leftover from cup holders getting cut out, I wonder if anyone would want a novelty extra large wood chip set... I have some in solid wood as well from drink carts.

Cool progress, watching with interest.

I have a ton of 3.5" wood pucks leftover from cup holders getting cut out, I wonder if anyone would want a novelty extra large wood chip set... I have some in solid wood as well from drink carts.

Cool progress, watching with interest.
Would make good coasters. That’s how big I make them in my laser

I think you two are missing an opportunity to work together. Use the wood pucks and the laser to create awesome dealer buttons.

It would be cool for the hardwoods. The plywood and ones I would say throw the Chanman logo design on to use as promotional materials

I already read a ton about blinds and game structures here, we want to stick to T10.000 structure with 12-12-5-6 (25, 100, 500, 1000) or 12-17-6-5. Is this structure good for my purpose (loving the idea to keep it simple with just 4 colors) and 1-2 games per evening ?
Not really, The 2:1 jump from 500 to 1000 really only resets the deck for the upper denominations (5000, 25000), so stopping at 1000 is pretty inefficient. Using a 2000 chip instead of 1000 would certainly be better if sticking to T10K stacks (no need for a 5000 that way), but the best layout for your 4-chip game (using standard denominations) is 5, 25, 100, 500, with T2000 starting stacks. If not to late to go with a T5 instead of T1000, I'd strongly recommend it.

Sorry, wish I'd seen this sooner, before you purchased your wood-burning dies.

Love the lasered chips ! :)

Thanks for your input BGinGA !
At the certain point as you mentioned its impossible to change to 5 or 2k...:(

What about doubling the amount of 1000 chips for each player ?

What about doubling the amount of 1000 chips for each player ?
I think fewer T500s and more T1000s is the key. I'd go with 12/12/5/6 or 8/8/4/7 starting stacks, and use T1000 chips to color-up the T25 and T100 chips.

sounds like a plan
so we are most if the time less than 8 players and i plan to stick to 300 chips.

stacks are:

12x 25 (96)
12x 100. (96)
5x 500. (40)
6x 1000. (480)

so we have 280 chips and 20 left...do you recommend making the 20 leftovers as 1000 ?

sorry for my noob questions ;-)

Do a set of:
100x 25
100x 100
40x 500
60x 1000

Starting stacks of:
12x 25
12x 100
3x 500
7x 1000

You have just enough 500's and 1000's to color-up all the lower denoms.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom