Windy Crest Tables Build Thread (1 Viewer)

Got the first rail finished. This was a major pain in the ass. I managed to get it wrinkle free but it's a bit lumpy. Not perfect but not flawed enough to make me want to pull staples out. The vinyl tore a couple times, but thankfully not to where it can be seen. Here's to hoping the second one goes smoother.

20170705_152104.jpg
20170705_152054.jpg

Rails are a major PITA. Another local table builder wanted to subcontract out building his rails to me, but I told him no-thanks.

Rails are a major PITA. Another local table builder wanted to subcontract out building his rails to me, but I told him no-thanks.
If I do anymore tables I might look into seeing what it would cost to have it upholstered professionally. I don't know if whisper vinyl is easier to work with, but the stuff I picked, while it looks amazing, was very hard to pull and was tearing left and right. I might try a heat gun on the second table and see if it makes it easier to work with.

I don't know if whisper vinyl is easier to work with,

Rails have to be without a doubt the worst part of the whole project IMHO.

I have only used Whisper Vinyl and have been impressed with how easy it is to work with. It is almost rubbery, it stretches so well in every direction. I've been too scared to try anything else because it works so well.

At any rate those tables look great.

Looking really nice. Upholstery's certainly one of those skills of the trade that needs practice. Years ago I attempted to have it contracted out so I hired a professional upholsterer to do a rail for me and it turned out bad. though there were no wrinkles, it was loose and lumpy.Since then I just do it myself with some good old fashioned elbow grease. I think I've nearly got it down to a science.

The vinyl you pick can play a huge role in how easy/hard it is to upholstery. Whisper vinyl is my preferred choice. I think I've tried about 6 different types of vinyl and whisper's the best for rails and for how it looks, plus durability. Heidi vinyl is easier to work with but doesn't look as nice IMO.

Your rails look great. I'm sure you and your players will have lots of great nights on them.

Definitely looking great and the felt is beautiful. But please no more posts on how much a pain the rail is though. I will be attempting my table this summer and don't want to be dissuaded. :D

Got the first rail finished. This was a major pain in the ass. I managed to get it wrinkle free but it's a bit lumpy. Not perfect but not flawed enough to make me want to pull staples out. The vinyl tore a couple times, but thankfully not to where it can be seen. Here's to hoping the second one goes smoother.

View attachment 107207 View attachment 107208

Great job! Very hard to cover a rail that wide without wrinkles.

Got the second table finished. Whew. Next time I just PayPal @T_Chan and have him do it. Rail was easier the second time around, used a heat gun for the inside rail, much easier. Love how they turned out. Thanks a bunch to @p5woody for doing the designs!
20170706_195126.jpg
20170706_195159.jpg
14993890186501777449579.jpg

I will, and will probably bother everybody else here too. My first ever build is merging two other tables' parts into one. It's just getting started.
I just saw your thread. My first two tables were Octagon finds on Craig's List. Served me well for over a year!

Definitely looking great and the felt is beautiful. But please no more posts on how much a pain the rail is though. I will be attempting my table this summer and don't want to be dissuaded. :D
Get a heat gun (y) :thumbsup:

Very classy design. I like the lack of built in cup holders. I prefer the steel, slide under the rail cup holders.
Thanks! I went with the plastic holders with a cut out as I wanted to be able to hold coffee cups as well. I was also worried the steel would cause more wear and tear on the felt.

Awesome thread. :)But it was lacking some cigar pics. :cautious:
Too hot and humid for a cigar these days. Even my poker games go non-smoking in the summer. It's no bueno.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom