Windows 11 mini pc keeps losing time (1 Viewer)

Grimace

Full House
Reaction score
I’ve got a windows 11 mini pc. Got it free from work as they upgrade computers. I can’t for the life of me figure out why it loses time. It’s on all the time so it shouldn’t be a weak cmos battery causing the issue. I’ve changed the time server twice. Stopped the time service, set it to automatic and started it again and it still loses time. I’m thinking it losing time was part of my tournament director issue in my tournament Saturday night. It would randomly add a hour to blind levels even though they were set to 20 or 30 mins.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

I don’t believe it is. It usually wipes them and you start with a fresh copy of the os. The time servers are the windows one and a .gov one I believe. There’s only two to choose from by default. I haven’t looked into being to ad one of my choosing. Not sure if that’s possible.

It syncs and the time is correct after doing that. It’s later in the evening let’s say after watching a movie and I’ll notice it’s lots a hour or two. When I check it hasn’t synced since the last time I manually did it. So it’s on the whole time.

I'm not sure about windows 11, but on my windows 10 the default sync interval is about 9 hours. A quick google has shown two ways to sync more frequently. I've done neither of these personally so I can't comment on their efficacy.

The first is to open registry editor and change a polling interval. You can open regedit by just typing regedit into the windows search bar.

Open regedit and navigate to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\TimeProviders\NtpClient. Right click SpecialPollInterval and change the value to your desired length in seconds. To update every hour would be 60*60=3600 seconds. I'm not sure what happens if you set a super small value here.

The other is to add triggers in task scheduler.

Open task scheduler by searching task scheduler in the windows search bar. Navigate through to Task Scheduler Library -> Windows -> Time synchronization. Right click the SychronizeTime task and open properties. Click on the triggers tab in the properties menu, then click new. Set the task to repeat Daily, and specify the time of day you want it to run. I believe under advanced settings you can check repeat task every 1 hour for a duration of 1 day and it'll cause it to synchronize every hour after the start time. If that's too frequent, I think you'll need to create a new daily trigger for each time you want it to sync in a day (so 6 triggers if you want to sync every 4 hours).

Even without automatic time syncs, I always thought keeping time was a function of the bios chip. When work wiped it, it would not surprise me if they relocated the jumper to wipe the CMOS as well. If they didn't put that jumper back to it's proper position it will cause problems with some bios functions. Double check that jumper.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom