Will you help out by being a poll worker? (1 Viewer)

DrStrange

4 of a Kind
Reaction score
Most jurisdictions are going to need new poll workers this election cycle. These are typically paid positions but the pay is low. The days can be long if you work from opening to closing, 12+ hours. Some places it is just election day, but other locals have early voting with dozens of opportunities to work.

These jobs were often filled by retired people. They got ~$100/day doing a job where you sit and handle the process of qualifying the voters, checking them in and occasionally helping them understand how to vote. This was a perfect fit for someone who could use a bit of extra cash but wasn't able to work or interested in longer term employment. Lots of people found it fun to work a hand full of days each election cycle and get a nice bit of cash.

But in the days of Coronavirus it is not so safe to be an elderly poll worker getting exposed to hundreds or thousands of strangers. Lots of the regular poll workers are sitting this election out. We can't hold in-person voting without poll workers. The job is low paying, but it is essential.

As it so happens, the same Covid19 concerns that are causing the elderly poll workers to take a pass this year are also creating a new group of potential poll workers. Perhaps you are out of work or on limited hours. Perhaps you work from home now and can schedule your time as you wish. Whatever your situation, if you are not as at risk as your grandmother, perhaps you can step up?

Please consider helping the nation conduct its elections. You will be doing a service for your community and make some extra money.

Think of it this way - They are just passing out racks of vintage Paulson chips to anyone who will help out at the polls. Interested? -=- DrStrange

I'm working today as a poll clerk in the Florida general primary, and I've worked every election since 2014. I don't do it for the money - my check gets donated to my Kiwanis club. I do it because it's important work that not enough are willing to do, especially this year.

The work isn't hard, but it is a long day. I'm here at 5:30am to set up, the polls are open from 7am to 7pm, and then we close out, tear down, and drop everything off before going home. Primaries tend to be slow and I'll probably be home before 9 tonight. The general election in November will be much busier.

Also as an FYI, the pay for each Orange County election ranges from $180-290 depending on your position. That requires a full day on election day plus a training class (3-8 hours depending on your position and experience).

YMMV from county to county across the country, but I'd guess most are in the same ballpark.

My wife, who's only 65, is working the polls in northern Manatee County all day today, as well. 5:30 until at least 8:30, for no pay -- not even food or drinks.
Her office:
Polling.jpg

My job is to sit outside the polling zone in case I have to "correct" anyone who gives her a hard time...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom