Why was there a $10 chip in the Noir set? (1 Viewer)

upNdown

Royal Flush
Reaction score
These chips were designed by chippers for chippers, right? So for those of you who were around then, why was a $10 included?

I can think of two possible reasons, neither of which make a ton of sense to me.
1) it’s a great chip for a big fixed limit game. But how many people are playing big fixed limit games? If this set had been designed before the rise of no-limit, maybe? But when were these made, like 2010? 2008? How many guys had $20/40 home games at that point?

2) maybe as a nod to the non-Americans? It seems like the 10 cash chip is more popular in other parts of the world - was this chip included for them? I almost hate to say “them” but it seems to me that a large majority of chippers (at least those in the PCF/blue wall community) are Americans, so I think it’s fair.

Anyway, anybody remember? I’d love to hear some insights. Thanks.

Picture credit to @realcdn

And now that I look at them and notice no currency symbol, I guess I should edit my question. It’s not a $10 chip, it’s a 10 chip. But the question stands.

93427762-8BBA-4B75-AA7E-B4CB0BA0A12B.jpeg

Point is well taken...

I do use a dime chip... but with a 50c chip too... which the Noir doesn't have.
20230127_171904.jpg

Some of the decisions were made by conducting polls on HPT, but others were made by Stephan (Sidepot) directly.

The frac vs $10 debate definitely happened, though I don't recall the specifics of that decision. I do know that at the time ('07) Stephan felt that US market was dwindling while the European market was 'booming' and he wanted to grow his business there. In fact, right up until the final artwork submission, the inlay had alternating "$" and "€" symbols on it:

5a_c2a2.png

I do know that at the time ('07) Stephan felt that US market was dwindling while the European market was 'booming' and he wanted to grow his business there.
That’s interesting. Anecdotally, when I started reading here and the Blue wall around 2016, I got the sense that while there was some interest here in Paulson fantasy sets, it seemed like Europeans loved Paulson fantasy sets.

And now that I look at them and notice no currency symbol, I guess I should edit my question. It’s not a $10 chip, it’s a 10 chip. But the question stands.
Ok, so I'm not the only one who never noticed the up-to-four(!) $ symbols on each inlay :wtf:

Look closer, my child...
Yeah, I noticed that after @Johnny5 posted the prototype inlay with both euro and dollar sign.
Anyway, there are a bunch of things about this set that don’t suit my tastes and I guess I’ll add the obscure dollar sign to it. But that’s fine. As the euros might say, viva la differance

Anyway, there are a bunch of things about this set that don’t suit my tastes and I guess I’ll add the obscure dollar sign to it. But that’s fine. As the euros might say, viva la differance
For an off-the-shelf stock spots/colors home set, it's one of the better ones imo. Best mold design of the GPI-generation era sets, solid inlay design, and reasonable spot/color options (given the available choices).

Only thing I'd change would be to make the blue chip a no-denom that could be used either as a cash frac or tourney 25k. Relatively easy fix.

Every piece of crap dice chip home set at the time had blue chips in it. They probably added the $10 so people upgrading could find their precious blue 10 chips?

Such a weird set, not a fan of these at all. The doubling up of spots on the 1 & 10, 25 & 100, and 500 & 1000 is just not for me. Then the 5000 is just depressing. Black tri-moon spots, yeah, no thanks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom