why so few full art ceramic sets? (2 Viewers)

Amish Rabbi

Straight
Reaction score
As I was playing with my California regency set, it made me wonder why we don't see many full art ceramic custom sets? most just mimic clay/plastic chips (this makes sense for ceramic hybrids) I can't be the only person who thinks these full art chips are awesome

I think very few ceramic designs take full advantage of what can be done with essentially 100% face and edge artwork customization. If you have to "align" your faces and edges, I think you're doing it wrong. IMO.
I've been screaming. Those 43mm sunfly hybrids are like a blank canvas, but everybody just designs chips that look like bud jones or matsui or something. I'm no artist, but there's got to be somebody out there who could do something very cool with those chips. Think outside the box?

jbceramic.JPG

I've been screaming. Those 43mm sunfly hybrids are like a blank canvas, but everybody just designs chips that look like bud jones or matsui or something. I'm no artist, but there's got to be somebody out there who could do something very cool with those chips. Think outside the box?
I am going to use them specifically BECAUSE I can make a BJ inspired set. With that said, I think @p5woody's latest venture for SunFly's stock design takes advantage of the unique chip offering by introducing something new to the community.

Also, suffice it to say, at the end of the day the chips need to look like chips. They values should be clearly visible from the end of the table and the design should disallow for dirty stacks.

The best way to convey that information is with edge markings. If you disregard stripes then you're left with dots, which in turn make the chip look like a solid. IMO a chip that becomes too solid is also not doing any justice to the ceramic.

People have tried to go in the deep end, but it rarely works. Take that abomination of the James Bond set or whatever it was called. Did it work in artwork? Sure. Did it work as a full chip set that could be easily be used for poker? F. No.

Love that design. What’s the story of the 6.25er
I explain it more here, but basically it's an amount that is 1x25c, 1x$1, and 1x$5. I used to have a set where that was 1 each of the red, white and blue chips, so my friends started saying "America!" to announce that bet amount. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
They still do it, so I thought it would be fun to actually turn that bet into a chip!

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/cards-at-coyote-gulch.52597/post-1081607

BTW- Woody did this design and absolutely nailed it!

I am going to use them specifically BECAUSE I can make a BJ inspired set. With that said, I think @p5woody's latest venture for SunFly's stock design takes advantage of the unique chip offering by introducing something new to the community.
I'm glad somebody noticed! that was my goal with the prestige design, create something a little different but not to the point nobody wanted them :)

I think very few ceramic designs take full advantage of what can be done with essentially 100% face and edge artwork customization. If you have to "align" your faces and edges, I think you're doing it wrong. IMO.
Also, suffice it to say, at the end of the day the chips need to look like chips. They values should be clearly visible from the end of the table and the design should disallow for dirty stacks.

The best way to convey that information is with edge markings. If you disregard stripes then you're left with dots, which in turn make the chip look like a solid. IMO a chip that becomes too solid is also not doing any justice to the ceramic.

People have tried to go in the deep end, but it rarely works. Take that abomination of the James Bond set or whatever it was called. Did it work in artwork? Sure. Did it work as a full chip set that could be easily be used for poker? F. No.
Is this more in line with what you guys are talking about?

Is this more in line with what you guys are talking about?
I like those. I never said you couldn't put stripes on the edges. You could print the denomination and some artwork on the edge and accomplish the same thing.
1589942701808.png

I think these Card Wars chips do a better than average job with ceramic possibilities, and they require zero alignment.

Huh? None of this has to do with using full art work or not.

You know that's one of the few exceptions. The off-center stripe aligned with the non-rotationally symmetric edge is unique. Somebody GB those again.
Talk to @p5woody. Dunno the status of the design rights, though. He designed it as part of a GOCC contest, but those guys are awol these days....

Might make for a good stock offering by Sun-Fly or ABC.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom