Why do I love NCVs so much? (1 Viewer)

Tsarbomba

Pair
Reaction score
So I haven’t been collecting long, but it seems im starting to find what i like most. I dont know why, but i find myself loving the ncv chips. Anyone else have same attraction to them over non ncv’s?

-Private cardroom
-starburts

:sneaky:

I like the Starbursts, but haven't bought any for a collection yet. They're clean lines make the OCD mind happy :). Go grab that set listed on eBay already and tell us how awesome it is!

I used to like NCVs, I valued them for their versatility. But then I fielded the "What's this worth?" question a zillion time every night we used them. I am now in the process of eliminating all NCVs from my sets, for my own sanity.

They are the ultimate frac. Change their value depending on the stakes you want to play that night. Could be a nickel, dime, quarter, half-dollar, or whatever you need.
From a visual perspective I like them, and would have no problems keeping them for display. I just can’t bring myself to put an expensive set of chips into play and use a chip that doesn’t have a specific value on it.

It feels like It’s cutting corners to me and tilts me no end.

My view is that ND chps (a more correct term than NCV, IMO) at the bottom and on the top of the line-up of a set offer enormous flexibility.
Unless you are among the happy few who have a permanent, dedicated, specific crew of players willing to play the very specific stakes till they die, when, apparently, their kids will take over, always at the same stakes.:)

I'm in the "No, thanks" boat as well. Got through two sets of (cheap, slugged) non-denom chips before I got really tired of the never-ending questions about which color is worth what.

I agree that one or two colors of ND can add a dash of versatility to a good set, though. As long as there's only one ND on the table at a time, it's easy for people to remember it's a quarter or nickel or whatever.

Never been a fan of them and the "what's this worth" inevitable question(s) of the night.

I wouldn't say I "prefer" non-denoms, but they definitely have their place, and I do have a few non-denominated sets. There are a few cases where they provide a great benefit. The best of those are limit sets - you can purchase one big limit set and play pretty much any stakes with that one set. The "what's this worth" PITA really shouldn't be an issue because there are only 2 maybe 3 colors in play, so it's usually really obvious after one rotation. I personally have also found non-denoms are OK in NL cash games, as long as you don't have more than 3 denoms out there, and even more so if they're close to "traditional" colors. My Tolkien set uses blues for dollars and red for fivers, which go with the standard colors, so I rarely get those "what's this worth" questions beyond startup. I don't like NCVs for tourney sets where you typically start with 3 or 4 denoms and then add color-ups, then it gets confusing.

The other beneficial scenario is for helping to cut down on the cost of a custom hot stamped set, it reduces the amount of dies you need to get made as well as the number of times the die needs to be switched out.

And I'll add some NCV / ND pron:

2017_01_29_IMG_3307.JPG

2017_01_29_IMG_3325.JPG

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom