Why are some inlays on CPC chips textured and some not? (1 Viewer)

JMC9389

Royal Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
This is something weird I discovered by accident when I took out a barrel of my Key West CPC chips to examine. Some of the inlays are textured (have a rough texture on the inlay) but most are smooth and glossy. On some chips the inlay on one side is textured and the other side is smooth.

This isn't just isolated to the Key West chips. I noted that the same is true on an A-molded sample set I received recently.

What gives here?

@David Spragg I'll tag you in this, but if anyone else knows the answer, feel free to chime in. Also, this question is for you David now that I do have your attention. Is there a way to make custom chips all have the textured inlays? I would prefer this for a future order if it's an option :D

When they press the inlay into the chip, the pressure affects the texture differently depending on the mold. Some it is one side only. Just part of the uniqueness of getting a compression clay chip.

When they press the inlay into the chip, the pressure affects the texture differently depending on the mold. Some it is one side only. Just part of the uniqueness of getting a compression clay chip.
Thanks! Figured it had something to do with the compression process, but I wonder why this happens only on occasion?

CPC makes a number of chips with each pressing, and some of the mold cavities may be slightly more worn than others. So after using them a good amount of time, there can be slight differences in the chips that come out.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom