Which state has the best barbeque? (1 Viewer)

What state has the best BBQ?

• Total voters

Chippy McChiperson

4 of a Kind
Reaction score
I saw someone mention barbeque in a different post, and it got me thinking...which state has the best barbeque, and why?

Ok I'll go first. North Carolina. Nothing beats the vinegar based pulled pork BBQ, with the great sides. Hush puppies, corn sticks, Brunswick Stew, Potatoes, in the vinegar sauce, greens, etc.

Last edited:
This is a tricky question because you have such different products in different states. In Tx BbQ is beef and largely brisket based. In the Deep South pulled pork is king. Then you have Memphis dry rub ribs vs KC styled sauced ribs.

This is a moving target

The only way to get a correct answer is for the OP to arrange and pay for a "pig tour" where a dozen of us fly all over the USA, eat fine meats and play poker.

Count me in! Let me know where to go pick up my tickets.

DrStrange

I'm IN

Agree with others, this is an impossible question due to many different takes on "BBQ"
Love dry rub ribs and tend to favor the NC pulled pork with the mustard/vinegar based sauce

Personally while I enjoy ribs Id rather do either brisket or pulled pork. Unfortunately I'm pretty much split on my love for the two.

Tx wins for brisket and give me a NC vin based sauce on pulled pork all day long

See? We need side by side tests. I traveled all over the south for work and ate some mighty fine BBQ lots of places - sometimes really different, but tasty. Which one is best ever???? Too tough to call.

Scientific research is needed -=- DrStrange

You don't have to disown the Pats to be my friend. I'm friends with many unhinged Patriots fans already. I'm even friends with some idiot Steelers fans.
Just kidding, I would never disown my team.

You hear that MUSIC?

But we can be friends though ;)

In reference to which state has the best BBQ, only way to do it would be like that BBQ Show where they do blind taste tests and average the scores

You would need like 5 different BBQ options from all the different states, each taster would sample each option from each state and grade them. Then you can answer your question :)

I do like a good brisket, but Texans really need to talk up smoked sausage more often IMO. One of the things I'll miss most if I ever move, and it's generally taken for granted here.

I do like a good brisket, but Texans really need to talk up smoked sausage more often IMO. One of the things I'll miss most if I ever move, and it's generally taken for granted here.
Ack, this is a good point. Smoked sausage can be absolutely killer

Here's another one.

Ribs - baby back pork or beef ribs?

I think most people prefer the baby backs, but for me give me a those big gorgeous beef ribs all day

Texas and it isn't close. I'm not a rib guy at all, and pulled pork is "eh" at the best of times (but I agree NC is the best for that.) Brisket and sausage FTW.

And the guy who can go eat at The Salt Lick any day of the week says it's "too tough to call." Must be spoiled on it. :p

Here's another one.

I think most people prefer the baby backs, but for me give me a those big gorgeous beef ribs all day

I like beef ribs as well as long as you get them from a butcher who will leave some meat on them.

I saw someone mention barbeque in a different post, and it got me thinking...which state has the best barbeque, and why?

Ok I'll go first. North Carolina. Nothing beats the vinegar based pulled pork BBQ, with the great sides. Hush puppies, corn sticks, Brunswick Stew, Potatoes, in the vinegar sauce, greens, etc.

+1 But here in NC the real spelling is "Barbecue" . Eastern style (vinegar based) baby!

Texas and it isn't close. I'm not a rib guy at all, and pulled pork is "eh" at the best of times (but I agree NC is the best for that.) Brisket and sausage FTW.

And the guy who can go eat at The Salt Lick any day of the week says it's "too tough to call." Must be spoiled on it. :p

+1 on The Salt Lick. I really wanted to stop by the Round Rock location while I was there yesterday. Doc is just being modest I think.

Hey! I can go eat at the Salt Lick any day I want to - drive past it a couple of times a month but rarely stop. You know what? It isn't even the best in BBQ in the county (though I grade their sausage as best and same with their BBQ sauce.) Best BBQ in Hays County is 'Hays County BBQ' in San Marcos Texas. Just my opinion . . . .

But I have eaten a lot of BBQ -=- DrStrange

Reactions: Ben
Here's another one.

Beef short ribs. 3rd best BBQ food.
Brisket - 2nd best BBQ food
Pork Belly - Best BBQ food.

Best BBQ I ever had was Portland, ME. I've had BBQ in a lot of places. Worst was CA. Did a tour from Monterey to SF, and didn't find one good BBQ joint.

There is no best region for BBQ, and all great BBQ is probably the best in some way compared to the others. BBQ is the best food when done well. Let's all just agree on that.

And meats that don't need sauces are the best bbq foods, which is why pulled pork doesn't crack the top 3.

Isnt Memphis Tennesee well known for having a ton of BBQ places downtown?

I would think that would be more notable than NC, no?

My dad (who spent his childhood in the rural Rio Grande Valley and adolescence in Houston) always says the best BBQ comes from the roadside dive that looks like it's JUST about to burn down. This is true, but you don't know the name of that place (if it has one,) and it probably isn't going to be there when you return. ;)

Isnt Memphis Tennesee well known for having a ton of BBQ places downtown?

I would think that would be more notable than NC, no?

No.

It is and it does and it isn't very good - basically a crappy mix of cheap knockoffs of NC and KC styles. Snub from the list is well-deserved.

Beef short ribs. 3rd best BBQ food.
Brisket - 2nd best BBQ food
Pork Belly - Best BBQ food.

Best BBQ I ever had was Portland, ME. I've had BBQ in a lot of places. Worst was CA. Did a tour from Monterey to SF, and didn't find one good BBQ joint.

There is no best region for BBQ, and all great BBQ is probably the best in some way compared to the others. BBQ is the best food when done well. Let's all just agree on that.

And meats that don't need sauces are the best bbq foods, which is why pulled pork doesn't crack the top 3.

Rob you need to travel to Eastern North Carolina, you'll be a convert, I promise.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom