Which rollout table topper? (1 Viewer)

Beakertwang

Royal Flush
Tourney Director
Reaction score
I'm going to grab a 72" table topper mat for my home game. Most of them look pretty much the same.

Which ones are recommended? Which ones are to be avoided?

Links would be appreciated!

Most of the ones I've seen on eBay and Amazon are 2-3 mm thick. I'd look for one that is 100% dye-sub printed vs having any screen printing on it. Screen printing is not as durable as dye-sub. Some have nicer designs that others.

Bought this one in 2014. Used quite a bit. Still going strong.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007N3RU82/

I have one of these as well form about the same time maybe 2015 and if they haven't cheapened it up any then it is a really decent one for the money. Not as thick as the sweet ass PCF toppers but better than some round ones a I bought a couple of months ago

I just bought a pill shape table topper in blue from discount poker. Cards slides very well and is soft for some give. I wish it was thicker, and there are some ripples on the surface when first unrolled, but becomes smoother over use. There is a rubber smell, but that goes away with time. I think it’s a good topper for the price, but wish I would have discovered this forum at the time I was looking for a top, as the PCF group buy table topper looks very nice. I think it has a good thickness and I like the recatangle shape so it fills up my whole dining room table.

I just bought a pill shape table topper in blue from discount poker. Cards slides very well and is soft for some give. I wish it was thicker, and there are some ripples on the surface when first unrolled, but becomes smoother over use. There is a rubber smell, but that goes away with time. I think it’s a good topper for the price, but wish I would have discovered this forum at the time I was looking for a top, as the PCF group buy table topper looks very nice. I think it has a good thickness and I like the recatangle shape so it fills up my whole dining room table.

Yeah, I missed the PCF topper as well. Are there any toppers on the market that are similar?

Consider making your own... It’s easy and cheap if you take time to source the materials, and you get a better result IMHO.

1. FABRIC: I source this from my local chain fabric store, Joann’s. They frequently have sales and coupons, and you should be able to get something really nice for under $50 at your size. I like to use outdoor-grade fabric so we don’t have to worry about spills and I can wipe it down after each session.

2. FOAM: I found a place near me that sells closed-cell table-grade foam by the yard. It’s really cheap—again, you shouldn’t have to pay more than $20-$30.

3. ADHESIVE: Look for high quality spray adhesive from a fabric store, or big hardware store. 3M is a good bet.

4. UNDERPAD: I browsed the remnants at Joann’s, and bought a piece of faux leather for about $10 to put on the underside so the foam does not get tacky with the table surface, but also doesn’t slide.

5. ASSEMBLY:

(A) Lay the piece of foam down on your table and use a ruler and a felt pen to mark the edges. Cut it to exactly the size of your top with a utility knife or fabric scissors.

(B) Spray the foam liberally with the adhesive. Let it dry for a few minutes. Then, with a friend, carefully center the fabric over the foam. You probably should do this outside, or open all your windows.

Assuming your table is a normal width, and your fabric is a standard 54" wide, you can either let the excess hang down over the edge like a tablecloth, or trim it later if you want a shorter “drop.” Alternatively, you could fold the cloth under and adhere it to the underside, but I find that looks worse and makes things complicated.

(C) Make sure to really smooth out the adhered fabric while it is still tacky to avoid wrinkles/bubbles. A rolling pin or similar object is useful here. Then I like to lay down books covering the entire surface for a few hours.

(D) Repeat with the underside, except you trim the excess rather than letting it drape.

This project should only take an hour or so at most, not including drying time. I find this has allowed me to really choose the surface I want and to get just the right size.

The topper can be removed when out of use (though I wind up leaving it on a lot of the time, as it looks sharp and is waterproof. It is important not to leave sharp objects on it overnight, as it can leave dings.

When removing, it should be rolled loosely, not tightly, so that the foam does not crease. I actually prefer to hang it up in my basement, or over the edge of my other (built) poker table.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom