Which rolling edge type should I use? (1 Viewer)

nostan

Pair
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm , or my designer to be honest, is working on a heavly inspired set "All-Star Tournament" set. I have 7 different rolling edge spot alternatives, but can't say I'm sure of which one to choose.

Which one do you think is preferable depending of the posibility visually estimate your opponent's stack? Any other suggestions? Would one or another cause any problem counting your own stack?

Please share your thought about this :)

(The picture below is not my designer's work , it's my own masterpiece using MS-paint)

rollingedges.jpg

I think it doesn't matter what graphic or text you use on the rolling edge. Think of these elements as a spot. It is the colour, size/width, and pattern that matters on how easily you can differentiate one chip denom from another.

For example, one could probably easily tell betwen 1 star, and 3 stars, and 5 stars from a distance. 2 and 4 might be problematic if mixed in there. Personally, I see no need to put the denomination on the rolling edge, but if you use it then use it with a combination of stars (or other elements) and not by itself.

Which denominations will you be using? Maybe some sort of "star progression" can be used?

I don't think having denominations on the rolling edges contributes to making the stacks easier to estimate, if you add them you should do it because you think it looks cool. If you use them, make sure there is enough contrast, i.e. I prefer G over F and E over A.

Another thing to think about is which face of the chip is up? If you have several of a chip, some may have face "A" up while the others have face "B" up. So if the rolling edge on those with face "A" up looks right side up, those with face "B" up will look upside down. I can think of two ways to alleviate that. One is to use edge markings that look the same regardless of which face is up. The other is to alternate the markings so that every other set is "up" while the intervening sets are "down."

Another thing to think about is which face of the chip is up? If you have several of a chip, some may have face "A" up while the others have face "B" up. So if the rolling edge on those with face "A" up looks right side up, those with face "B" up will look upside down. I can think of two ways to alleviate that. One is to use edge markings that look the same regardless of which face is up. The other is to alternate the markings so that every other set is "up" while the intervening sets are "down."

But if the two faces are the same, then it doesn't matter.

But if the two faces are the same, then it doesn't matter.
What's on the faces does not determine how the rolling edge appears. For example his line A could appear right side up or up side down depending on which face is up even if both faces have the same image.

If he made another rolling edge similar to A with a right side up star and 25 then a up side down star and 25 then a right side up star and 25 then a up side down star. The rolling edge would look the same regardless of which face was up.

What's on the faces does not determine how the rolling edge appears. For example his line A could appear right side up or up side down depending on which face is up even if both faces have the same image.

If he made another rolling edge similar to A with a right side up star and 25 then a up side down star and 25 then a right side up star and 25 then a up side down star. The rolling edge would look the same regardless of which face was up.

Ah, I understand what you're saying. But perhaps I also think it doesn't matter. We're talking about being able to estimate an opponent's stack size from the edge spot pattern, whether closer or farther away from you at the table. Orientation would not matter because it would be illegible anyway. Again, it comes down to width, colour, and pattern.

I totally agree that from across the table most wouldn't be able to read numerals right side up or up side down.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom