Which Legs? (1 Viewer)

Ghoti

Flush
Reaction score
So I finally got my custom table. Unfortunately I'm on my own as far as the legs go, which wouldn't be so bad if I had any idea what I was doing. I would greatly appreciate some input from those in the know. My table (top) is 225cm x 125cm.

Here are 3 options. Please let me know what you think.

1. Would 2 of these guys even be enough? Base is 50cm x 50, top plate is 29 x 29

Screenshot_20190314-155341.png

2. Distance between the tips of any 2 legs is 57cm. The between the tips of the arms on the top is 55cm. This seems like a safe bet in regards to size/stability.

Screenshot_20190314-155747.png

3. 2 of these guys. Most expensive option but aesthetically would probably look the coolest. But would it support the table?

Screenshot_20190314-160422.png

I know from when I did my builds that there is a formula for base size to table size. Basically, it the footprint of the base is too small, the table can tip when weight is put on the edge.

Sadly, I don't remember the ratio anymore - but I'm sure someone might. Does @T_Chan use a similar formula or ratio?

General rule of thumb is that you want the base to be at least 50% as wide as the top. The first two don't look like they're wide enough. The 3rd option is wide enough if it's going 70cm across the width of the table.

General rule of thumb is that you want the base to be at least 50% as wide as the top. The first two don't look like they're wide enough. The 3rd option is wide enough if it's going 70cm across the width of the table.
Ok. Yeah with the third option that's what I had in mind. But is there any risk of it sagging in the middle over time, lenthwise? It's built well and is pretty thick, but those top plates are only 24x24 which leaves a ton of space in between them.

Hard to say since I don't know how the table was built.

I really like the triangular (second) option.
Would you please post the full url for those or message me with that info?

Thanks very much

Then there shouldn't be any sagging issues down the road. :tup:

I just wanted to put in my vote for option 3 as well. I like those legs the best. I think they would look really neat painted black and clear-coated.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom