Where to get rail foam for 58" round? (1 Viewer)

Jake14mw

Flush
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Where can I get a single piece rail foam for a 58" round table? I do have some leftover Joann's foam from a prior table that I will probably use for the project, but that would require 3 seams. I want to avoid seams if I can, but I have spent a good deal of money on poker stuff lately, and I don't even NEED this table, I've just been itching to do a round. If I can find a source for a single piece of foam for a reasonable price, I will go that route. I looked at YAT, and it looks like the widest foam they have is 54". Even if I could somehow make that work, it's $48 before shipping. Thanks for any guidance you guys can provide.

Best bet would be the 54" foam and make expansion cuts in the middle then won't be hard at all the get the 2" stretch in each direction that you'll need

Gonna need more than 2" stretch in each direction, though -- foam rail typically rolls down over the outside edge to the bottom of the exterior dimension. Depending on plywood thickness and total rail height, that could be another 1/2" to 1-1/2" (or even greater) in each direction. Dunno if it will stretch that much.

Places that sell larger custom-size pieces of foam will make that $48 YAT price look like a bargain (I think YAT offers free shipping, plus use code scottkeen for 15% off).

Yes, thanks, I am planning just a 3/4" raised rail rail, so the total edge of the rail should be 2 1/4 inches, so I'm thinking that the foam needs to cover 62" total. Could the 54" wide foam work for that?

Does the rail sit flush on top of the table with no overhang? If so, a 3/4" tall rail will make your total foam diameter requirement at 58+1.5=59.5". Not sure you can stretch 54" that far.... that's over 2.5" in each direction. If your total rail height is 2-1/4" (making foam = 62.5"), then I'd say almost definitely not.

Diameter of the table including the rail is 58" The rail would consist of 3 layers of 3/4" plywood, so yes, your total of 62.5 is correct. Also, to be clear, I'm talking about the foam that is 54 x 108, so it would only have to stretch in one direction, but I think you're right, it seems that might be too much stretching.

Could always add a dealer cut-out -- plenty easy to stretch the foam to fit, and no seams.

I wouldn't worry about seams unless you vinyl is especially thin - when I built my table, I used Joanne's foam and had to hack it to fit. There are 6 seams total and you can't tell once the vinyl is on top. I did use spray adhesive to glue the ends together so that the foam became essentially one continuous piece. You can see the seams in the picture below with purple marker (4 seams at the near end, 2 at the far). Since this is not a need to have and you already have the foam, I'd just hack it to fit.

1569511377930.png

If piecing foam together for a rail, I'd suggest:
  • make the foam cuts horizontal rather than perpendicular
  • cover the seams with dryer sheets (helps hide seam irregularities)
  • glue the foam to the rail, but don't glue the foam ends together (glue hardens and can be felt underneath)
  • use a heavier-than-normal vinyl

If piecing foam together for a rail, I'd suggest:
  • make the foam cuts horizontal rather than perpendicular
  • cover the seams with dryer sheets (helps hide seam irregularities)
  • glue the foam to the rail, but don't glue the foam ends together (glue hardens and can be felt underneath)
  • use a heavier-than-normal vinyl
To cover the rail foam seams, I have found cotton batting from Joann’s similar to this to works very well.

I bought foam from foambymail.com and they had what I needed for a large round. I think it might be the same as foam factory linked above.

See info this thread https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/54-inch-round-table-build-question.35874/

Thanks, I have read that thread. Here is on big question I have. Both people in that other thread first stapled the sides that they had more than enough material for, and THEN stapled the 54" side that they needed to stretch. Why? That seems counterintuitive to me. I would think if you cut out the middle and first stretch the sides that need stretching, you would have more give?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom