Where to buy china clay/faux clay now? (2 Viewers)

Does Apache generally restock within what they say? I.e if a set is out of stock until November will it usually restock in November or does it usually take longer?

Well it appears that they are getting their stock back in soon: Blank Majestic Chips are back at full selection, and there is a bright red announcement stating: "PLEASE NOTE THIS IS A PRESALE. ORDER NOW AND YOUR ORDER WILL SHIP NO LATER THEN NOVEMBER 1." I got a number of different samples and these are the ones I'm going with, hope you find yours!

Well it appears that they are getting their stock back in soon: Blank Majestic Chips are back at full selection, and there is a bright red announcement stating: "PLEASE NOTE THIS IS A PRESALE. ORDER NOW AND YOUR ORDER WILL SHIP NO LATER THEN NOVEMBER 1." I got a number of different samples and these are the ones I'm going with, hope you find yours!
I did! I was missing .25s and 5s Dunes for a low stakes cash set and grabbed them yesterday!

The injection point is underneath the label on one side, sanded smooth. Visibly noticeable on unlabeled chips.
How do they do the edge spots with injection molding? I imagine you would need different color materials right? I don’t remember if you break open a CC it is solid color all the way through for the edge spot or not.

This is a limited understanding of injection molding on my part.

How do they do the edge spots with injection molding? I imagine you would need different color materials right? I don’t remember if you break open a CC it is solid color all the way through for the edge spot or not.

Injection-molded plastic chips (including mass market chips like dice chips or better chips like China clays) have their edge spots incorporated into the molds that make them. They're made with a multi-part mold, and are made in stages, with each stage building on top of the previous stage using a different color of plastic. Each colored spot is made by a different section of the mold; the spot is solid color all the way through rather than merely being painted or printed onto the surface of the chip.

Here's an example of a multi-part injection mold used to make USB flash drives with multiple colors in the plastic body. First, the metal and electronic part is placed into the mold. The first mold section molds the white part of the body around the metal, then the green part of the body is molded around the white part, then the blue part is molded around the green part and the piece is finished.

Notice that the printed logo on the side of the finished piece isn't actually printed; what you're seeing is the white portion of the molded body showing through the blue portion. The white portion has the logo raised above its surface, and the blue portion has a "hole" that the raised white portion fits into.

Plastic poker chips are made in a very similar manner. The spots are molded first (sometimes around a metal slug), then the body is molded around the spots. You can cut into one of these chips with a hobby knife and see the different layers arranged like a sandwich.

Last edited:
Really hard to find a good poker store here in EU :( I was also looking for chips on pokershop.de but nothing really interesting there. Showdown chips looks pretty cool and if you are used to heavier chips, you might want to order some samples. I bet you can find some good sets here, on forum, for similar price. Atm I am leaning towards buying CPC set, still waiting for their samples. :cautious:

Injection-molded plastic chips (including mass market chips like dice chips or better chips like China clays) have their edge spots incorporated into the molds that make them. They're made with a multi-part mold, and are made in stages, with each stage building on top of the previous stage using a different color of plastic. Each colored spot is made by a different section of the mold; the spot is solid color all the way through rather than merely being painted or printed onto the surface of the chip.

Here's an example of a multi-part injection mold....

Plastic poker chips are made in a very similar manner. The spots are molded first (sometimes around a metal slug), then the body is molded around the spots. You can cut into one of these chips with a hobby knife and see the different layers arranged like a sandwich.

Some china clays have totally solid spots through and through; others have spots that are layered on top of the chip's base material which are added after the base material is injected (the same is true of non-cc injection-molded plastic chips). It all depends on the mold design and equipment.

Some cc mold designs are modular, allowing for easier (and cheaper) customization. An outer ring component containing a specific surface 'texture' and/or other debossed markings can be paired with a common base mold component, allowing multiple use of various interchangeable parts.

Additionally, several unique spot 'patterns' can be accomplished with a single mold by altering which molten plastic colors are sent to which areas during a specific production run. For example, a single mold ring design can be created to produce 1-, 2-, 3-, or 4-spot versions of 438, 4d316, 4t318, or 4ds318 pattern chips, or even just solid no-spot chips (all spot cavities filled with base material).

That's well over 20+ unique chip patterns from a single mold design, simply requiring different contolling software and plumbing. The Pharaoh's Club china clay chips are a great example of interchangeable ring design and using just a few mold designs to create a variety of different spot patterns.

I ordered way back on the first GB. Must have been sometime last year. Instead of ordering directly through @SeanGecko I sent the vendor a message and asked if I could get the GB pricing and using some of the GB artwork (except some minor changes), but have the chips shipped individually since I'm in Norway. They agreed and that's how it went.

I also asked them to hold on to my order after completion (many months), and hoping that shipping cost would go down, but that didn't happen and at a certain point I just asked to have them shipped through DHL.
How did you contact the vendor? And how do you like the chips?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom