Where should I learn to play poker this summer? (1 Viewer)

If you do decide to play online as well (a valuable resource for getting a pile of hands in) don't forget that a 10x rule kind of applies. 1/2NL is roughly equivalent to .10/.25 online. Even then, most 25NL games online these days are tough and more reg-heavy than you'd see at the average 1/2 game on a Saturday night.

Dip into the micros to test on some concepts you've learned, polish up your intuition and apply those in your regular game.

Thought I'd post a quick update on my progress. So far I have played ten sessions (roughly about an hour each) on .10/.20 6-max tables on Global Poker. I made an initial deposit of $50, fully expecting to lose a couple deposits like that, but instead am up to $122.

I feel fairly confident at this level, but now I am wondering when I should move up to .25/.50

Tentatively I'm thinking when I reach $250, that way I will have developed a good amount of table time on the lower blinds and will have buffed up my bankroll nicely.

Good rule of thumb would be 20 buy ins for a level before taking a shot. $250 would be on the low side. If you are happy to re-deposit and can afford it, go for it if you are comfortable.

Some suggestions for beginner/intermediate players.

Sites
Upswing Poker
Red Chip Poker (Core)

Books
Poker’s 1% by Ed Miller
The Grinder’s manual by Peter Clarke
Matthew Janda’s Books

Practice
Home games are always good, nice to have a group of like minded Friends that love the game. It’ll help keep your motivation up. Poker is a hard game to master.

Online has lots of places to play. If you want to get huge volumes in fast, see more spots and situations in a short volume of time etc. (Gaining experience) you can try zoom to get a bit of a boost.

Heads up is another way to do it but your Preflop ranges and percentages are way looser than in a normal 6 or 10 max game.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom