Where do you put the cent symbol? (1 Viewer)

kaimat

Full House
Supporter
Reaction score
I'm finally going through with a relabel plan but don't know where to put the cent symbol. I like the look of a small currency symbol with a big number. It looks good for dollars, but for cents I'm not sure if it should be on the bottom, in the middle, or up top...

EZPvDdu_edit_1_dollars.pngEZPvDdu_edit_5_cents.pngEZPvDdu_edit_5_cents02.pngEZPvDdu_edit_5_cents03.pngEZPvDdu_edit_10_cents.pngEZPvDdu_edit_10_cents02.pngEZPvDdu_edit_10_cents03.pngEZPvDdu_edit_25_cents.pngEZPvDdu_edit_25_cents02.pngEZPvDdu_edit_25_cents03.png

Thoughts?

Maybe make it a bit bigger, and put it in the top third? The design guys will be much better help than I, though.

Also I think middle or top is fine and a solid design choice. Just not bottom.

Yes, up top. And it doesn't have to be same "size" as the "$". Make it a bit bigger so it stands out a bit more. Notice how the shaped inlay in the pic for the horseshoe chip the proportion of number to symbol. That's what matters, and that's why the "$" looks better to your eye than the "c".

Symbol should be half the height of the number and either slightly less than flush with the top or middle aligned, definetly not bottom. Generally, center the number without the symbol then add it. The number is dominant to the eye for balance (left to right). It will look out of balance if you center number(s) and symbol together. Every example above in the OP is out of balance.

Symbol should be half the height of the number and either slightly less than flush with the top or middle aligned, definetly not bottom. Generally, center the number without the symbol then add it. The number is dominant to the eye for balance (left to right). It will look out of balance if you center number(s) and symbol together. Every example above in the OP is out of balance.
was just about to say the exact same thing. (y) :thumbsup:

It could be multiple locations.
If it were my set, I would do the symbol for the nickel centered with the apex of the curve of the 5 (basically 1/2 way between your 5 cent options 1 and 2)
The 10 cent symbol would be your 10 cent option 2.
25 cent symbol would be slightly lower than your 25 cent option #3

Last edited:
Just like the Cuban coins (CUC) - except the 10 cent would be your 10 cent option 2

for reference
1541266125822.png

Vertically centered or top-aligned looks best imo.
Bottom aligned just kinda looks to me like someone was either lazy, or unable to properly handle his layouting/artwork software.

But it absolutely has to have the same alignment as the $ symbol - for consistency reasons.

Edit:
_DSC0124c.jpg_DSC0125c.jpg_DSC0126c.jpg
positioning-paradise.png

Last edited:
I'd align it with how your dollar sign is located, so based on your first post, up top. Not a fan of bottom, but middle works too if the dollar signs are also centered in the middle, as in @Nex 's chips.

I went up high. I think it should to be big enough to see, so it's roughly 1/2 the size of the denom. Some designs in the thread show cent symbols so small that look like a label imperfection to 50 year old eyes.
Text Only.jpg

Great thread. I'm planning on making a set without the dollar/currency symbol from 1 onwards, how should the cent symbol behave?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom