Where do you get your fonts? (1 Viewer)

tigon

Straight
Reaction score
Other than the ones normally included in your OS installs. I just usually google "*-themed font" or "font like Jokerman" and usually I find something close to what I'm looking for for free.

I'm looking to have a small library of fonts on hand ready to go whenever I want though. In probable order of legality, are there any good membership sites where you can download as many fonts as you want DRM-free, CDs with 1001 fonts that you can get for like $.99 at Staples, "free font" websites, FTP servers or other bookmarks that would be a good start point?

There are a few free font sites out there. I got the font for the PCF logo from one of them.

Google Webfonts is a good place to start. You can download them for free, and also embed them on web pages.

If you find a typeface you like there that’s not quite perfect, if you do a search on Google for “fonts similar to [thatfontname]” it will lead you to a million other places.

That said, it’s generally a good idea to get your type from reputable places. There’s a lot of corrupted font files out there.

Google Webfonts is a good place to start. You can download them for free, and also embed them on web pages.

I second the recommendation of Google fonts. I used a program called SkyFonts (no affiliation), which made trying out new fonts pretty easy.

Almost all of the fonts in my labelling project were from Google: https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/monroe-st-card-room-first-design.46711/

EDIT: My quick & dirty blinds timer (demo site at: http://poker.x10.bz/ ) also leverages google fonts.

Last edited:
If you want really interesting and creative fonts and don’t mind paying a few bucks go to CreativeMarket.com. I use design elements from there for my business as well as now for chip designs. Great stuff.

Last edited:
Dafont.com

I have found some things at Dafont I could use. There are some great faces there; but overall the quality control is lower than some other sites, certainly than many commercial ones. Lots of display type (meant only for headlines or signs), lots of single-weight fonts or ones lacking true italics, small caps, etc. Gotta be choosy there.

@Taghkanic you are totally right. There is plenty of great stuff there. You just sometimes need to dig a little bit harder.

For some projects where I really want a design driven by the creativity of the font I like using CreativeMarket because it’s a great connection to some great freelance designers. Today I just finished the design for my new tournament set and I found two fonts and a design element that all worked well together and just combined them for what I think is a pretty cool design. But yeah... I will admit I had been searching and trying Dafont fonts as well!

BA090F1A-C0C9-4340-8EA0-C3027972FBCB.jpeg

Be careful with free fonts. Yes, they work in a pinch. But seldom are done correctly. On top of which, believe it or not, require quite a bit of work. If you shop around it’s possible to buy the font at a fair price. I get free but someone worked and spent time making them. Reward them by purchasing a proper version.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom