where do you european guys buy mineral oil? (1 Viewer)

Waarwaar

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

Like the title, maybe a stupid question but i don't want to buy the wrong oil. Because I don't live in the USA, I don't have Walmart nearby. On Amazon or eBay I see white mineral oil, magnesium mineral oil, wood mineral oil, motor oil etc. Does anybody have a link to order the right oil? Thank you in advance.

Best regards, Rob

Hello everybody,

Like the title, maybe a stupid question but i don't want to buy the wrong oil. Because I don't live in the USA, I don't have Walmart nearby. On Amazon or eBay I see white mineral oil, magnesium mineral oil, wood mineral oil, motor oil etc. Does anybody have a link to order the right oil? Thank you in advance.

Best regards, Rob

In the UK it's called 'Mr Tree has penises for eyes'.

I get it from pharmacy shops. In Glasgow. I got funny looks the last time. Apparently junkies use it in some capacity.

The pharmacist quizzed me the last time I bought it and gave me his best "Yeah, right" look when I told him it was for oiling the edges of clay poker chips.

#misunderstood #notajunkie

Last edited:
In Canada it is sold at pharmacies as a laxative. Just go to your local pharmacy and ask for pure mineral oil and they will likely have some.

When I checked around town both pharmacies carried it.

You want something which is unscented

PS. you don't need very much. Just buy a small bottle.

IMG_0537.JPG

Does this qualify as a small bottle?

Last edited:
I used baby oil. It's in such a small quantity that the smell has never been an issue.

In Germany, I just hit up 3rd party sellers on Amazon for cheap product and without stupid questions. Got a 1 liter bottle for like 10-11 bucks. Same price I'd have paid at the pharmacy for a ridiculously tiny bottle.

Try alternate search terms, in Europe the term "mineral oil" isn't (or barely) used. Try "paraffinum perliquidum". That's how I found mine.

From Wikipedia:

"Mineral oil", sold widely and cheaply in the USA, is not sold as such in Britain. Instead British pharmacologists use the terms "Paraffinum perliquidum" for light mineral oil and "Paraffinum liquidum" or "Paraffinum subliquidum" for somewhat thicker (more viscous) varieties. The term "Paraffinum Liquidum" is often seen on the ingredient lists of baby oil and cosmetics. British aromatherapists commonly use the term "white mineral oil".

So the "white mineral oil" is also the stuff you want.

I had a bottle on hand already because I use it to oil my bamboo cutting boards. So the next time the pharmacist asks, tell them about your cutting boards and maybe you won't get a funny look. :LOL: :laugh:

From Wikipedia:

"Mineral oil", sold widely and cheaply in the USA, is not sold as such in Britain. Instead British pharmacologists use the terms "Paraffinum perliquidum" for light mineral oil and "Paraffinum liquidum" or "Paraffinum subliquidum" for somewhat thicker (more viscous) varieties. The term "Paraffinum Liquidum" is often seen on the ingredient lists of baby oil and cosmetics. British aromatherapists commonly use the term "white mineral oil".

So the "white mineral oil" is also the stuff you want.
I bet some people in Europe are using that thicker variety and that's causing slippery chips... there is a thread around here about chips from France being slippery and I had to use a magic eraser to make them chalky again.

I used baby oil. It's in such a small quantity that the smell has never been an issue.

Yup, very much this. If you hold the chip to your nose you might be able to smell it, but even if you can it's not an unpleasant smell. Granted, those with small children may have some issues with smell-association memories...

Having the smell of baby oil on my CC's would be considered a plus. Even after oiling they still have a bit of a bad smell.

Also I ended up using the "heavy" version of mineral oil as that was all I could find...see how it goes.

Wow, lot of info in my chips use this and no problem buy in Pharmacy is used for medical uses and is cheap 1 liter is 10 euros;)
Archivo 14-9-17 21 54 09.jpeg

Thank you all for your reaction, it still amazes me that everybody on this forum wants to help and takes the time to write a response!

Baby oil is the easiest route, every supermarket has it. I'm not afraid of the smell, i think the bear, chips and sausage smell will overrule very quickly :). But in a famous thread about oiling chips right, i saw something about not using baby oil. Tomorrow I'm gonna try to buy paraffin oil and baby oil and test on a couple of chips.

In the UK it's called 'paraffin oil'.

I get it from pharmacy shops. In Glasgow. I got funny looks the last time. Apparently junkies use it in some capacity.

The pharmacist quizzed me the last time I bought it and gave me his best "Yeah, right" look when I told him it was for oiling the edges of clay poker chips.

Just tell the Pharmacist you're constipated that's what it's usually sold for at least in the states. The kind for use as an internal laxative doesn't usually have any additives for color/scent like baby oil does.

Im always amazed at how easily i find answers here. Awesome thread, just came on for exactly this question.

In the UK it's called 'kuquid paraffin'.

In all fairness he had the junky side down pat. Just not the substance.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom