Where did you play online before BF? (1 Viewer)

luckroy

High Hand
Reaction score
It seems reasonable that most here played online during the boom. If so, what site did you play primarily?

I played on Bugsy's Club, which had a small user base and was pretty soft. It eventually folded and PS bought them out.

Mostly PokerStars. Went to FT once for about 6 months cause of some ridiculous bonuses they had at the time. Ran it up, withdrew and right back to PS.

Poker Stars/Full Tilt/888/Red Kings. Such good memories...I was single living in a condo with no responsibilities making 80k/year. I would come home from work log on and play for 5-6 hours then go to sleep. I didn't even stop for dinner I would usually just eat granola. I probably did that for about 1 year straight.

I was already broke before Black Friday happened with all my accounts at zero but hey had a blast losing 11k.

Originally PartyPoker until they closed shop in the US, then PokerStars and Full Tilt (used mostly the latter) until the Feds shut 'em down.

Started playing at Party Poker for a really short time before they shut the US down then moved to PokerStars. Never played at FT and at least I was able to cash out after BF.

It was something to do but I never really enjoyed playing poker at a keyboard, no social aspect. Besides, online poker is/was rigged. ;)

FTP since all the pros played there.
I couldn't stand P* for some reason whether it was the action, interface, or players.

Mostly Full Tilt as I vastly preferred the interface, but also played some P*.

Any good stories from that?

Oh man I had some sick runs. I would deposit 500 run it up to 2 or 3k and then lose it all. I would play .10/.25 and then if I was winning I would go on winners tilt and if I was losing I would go on loser tilt :). Regardless I would often end up playing 1/2, 2/4, or 3/6. I had no business in those big games which I had no roll for. I actually ran well in the higher stakes games and I am pretty sure I am a winner (over a small sample) in 2/4 and 3/6.

I had a renter living with me at the time who paid me 500/mo as well as a healthy salary from my job. I had almost no social life since I was new to the working world and I had just returned to North American from living abroad. Looking back it wasn't very healthy but it was damn fun. I probably had some form of a gambling addiction going on but it didn't ruin me or anything. I kept a spreadsheet of all my wins/losses and all the money I lost was just extra money I didn't need for "real" life.

I would often start with one table and tell myself to take it easy. By the end of the night I would have 6-10 tables open going hard. If I could go back in time I wouldn't change it. The only thing I would change is I would get a coach and study more...

I was never a long term winner because I didn't really understand bankroll management or managing tilt. I was just logging a crazy amount of hours. I did learn a lot about poker though and had strength in specific spots. Also just simply knowing when you are probably good and when you are likely beat. I guess it would be called the "feel" game. I also learned about bluffing and how to time bluffs etc. I am not an amazing poker player but I am still way better than most of my friends simply because I have played many thousands of hands more than them.

Just about everywhere. I used to chase the bonuses from site to site. Very profitable.

I player Pokerroom.com. My specialty was $10 sit and goes in limit. I played about 5 to 10 games a week and won a few grand before BF.

The limit game was easier to beat, especially against players used to no limit. At least one or two players each game would give up because they didn't have patience for limit.

It got to where I could see familiar handles and know me and them would be in the final 3.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom