When to move from 1 table to 2 tables (2 Viewers)

I run a weekly 1-2 NL game and keep it at 1 table regardless. I always say to myself that I am not trying to sell tickets. Instead it’s an exclusive game that people need to fight for a seat. It’s like a small restaurant that has a huge line waiting outside.

Up to 10 players --> 1 table
From 11 to 20 --> 2 tables

For tournament,
if you have exactly 12 players, you have 2 tables of 6 players and have a final table with last 6.
This would make a nice 6-max 2 tables tourney.

If were doing a HOPE rotation. Then we play 10 handed. Split at 11 players. I doubt I will ever play 11 handed again. I'd rather go home and let someone have the seat.

If were playing Dealers choice. Were splitting into two table at 10. Two tables of 5 rules dealers choice night!

Appropriate thread for this month's game @Irish. One table or two for NLHE cash tomorrow night? Looks like attendance is currently at 10.

Appropriate thread for this month's game @Irish. One table or two for NLHE cash tomorrow night? Looks like attendance is currently at 10.

I personally am in the "more the merrier" camp; I don't think I've ever turned away a player, even those who reply 15 minutes before the game (or not at all and just show up :wtf: - though they will get some shit from me). The lone exception is the Christmas game where I'm capped at 10 because of the train setup, but we're typically lucky to get enough for a game during the holidays anyways. Deciding on the 2nd table used to be my bane of hosting, as 2 to 3 of my regulars are typically last minute RSVPers. But now that I have the room finished, what I do is just set up the extra table once I hit 10 players (like I'm going to do tonight....). If we don't use it, whatever, I got a little extra weight training time. Much less stressful than trying to get a second table set up last minute while finishing up prep work for everything else.

Our group hates to play short handed (at least for tourneys) so we typically will play up to 11 at a single table, unless we happen to get a handful of really big guys and it's just physically impossible. For cash, unless the group really wants to do likewise, I'd split beyond 10 players - so 10 players - 1 table, 11+ players - 2 tables.

For tournaments, anything over 10 players I'd split it into two tables. Have 12? Two tables of 6 and have a "final table" of 6-8 players. Spare table is used to open up a cash game.

I like shorter handed (5-7 player) cash games, actually. I feel like with a large cash game (8-10 players), play tends to get super tight. I know with any high handed game, I play tighter whether it's a cash or tournament.

I like shorter handed (5-7 player) cash games, actually. I feel like with a large cash game (8-10 players), play tends to get super tight. I know with any high handed game, I play tighter whether it's a cash or tournament.

Agreed. Would never turn people away, but in a cash setting, I’d split sooner rather than later, just based on personal preference as far as the way a 5-7 handed cash game plays. For tournaments, I’m more inclined to try to sit as many people at a single table as physically possible (within reason).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom