When I was a Nit. (1 Viewer)

fish72s

Flush
Reaction score
I have been described as a bit of a nit. I might encourage that idea somewhat to help my image sometimes, but its basically true.
I'm going to fess up to 2 of my nit-iest plays that I can remember right now. Feel free to comment on these hands.

But I had in mind for this thread to be a place everyone could re-live the time they folded KK's pre-flop (or for some of you, the time you folded 56o to a min-raise in the SB.)

NIT Hand 1 : Had AA, made a boat on the river and check-folded.
This isn't as nitty as it sounds; or maybe it is.
The boat was 888/AA. I had limped UTG (hoping to re-raise of course) but instead got 6 or 7 callers. Flop was 88x. I led out and got 2 or so callers. I checked called the turn and then check folded on the river 8.

NIT Hand 2 : Flopped a full house and folded to a single bet and 1 or 2 callers.
(If people want to comment on strategy, I'd be more interested in comments on this hand.)
Again, this isn't quite as nitty as it sounds. This was at K9dr's Melee Meetup last fall. The game was 25c/50c 5-card Omaha. I have played Omaha a few times but had never heard of 5 card Big O.
I was OTB with 99xxx (where xxx was mildly suited/connected) In retrospect this was a terrible hand that I should have folded PF. I had about $100 behind. 6 or 7 players and I limped and flop was 10-10-9. EP led out. I think 2 players (maybe just 1) called in front of me and I totally tanked. One guy I didn't know said I wonder what that guy is thinking about so hard. I folded and then showed my cards. He said he was undercover poker police and arrested me on the spot.

Comment? Stories?

I have been described as a bit of a nit. I might encourage that idea somewhat to help my image sometimes, but its basically true.
I'm going to fess up to 2 of my nit-iest plays that I can remember right now. Feel free to comment on these hands.

But I had in mind for this thread to be a place everyone could re-live the time they folded KK's pre-flop (or for some of you, the time you folded 56o to a min-raise in the SB.)

NIT Hand 1 : Had AA, made a boat on the river and check-folded.
This isn't as nitty as it sounds; or maybe it is.
The boat was 888/AA. I had limped UTG (hoping to re-raise of course) but instead got 6 or 7 callers. Flop was 88x. I led out and got 2 or so callers. I checked called the turn and then check folded on the river 8.

NIT Hand 2 : Flopped a full house and folded to a single bet and 1 or 2 callers.
(If people want to comment on strategy, I'd be more interested in comments on this hand.)
Again, this isn't quite as nitty as it sounds. This was at K9dr's Melee Meetup last fall. The game was 25c/50c 5-card Omaha. I have played Omaha a few times but had never heard of 5 card Big O.
I was OTB with 99xxx (where xxx was mildly suited/connected) In retrospect this was a terrible hand that I should have folded PF. I had about $100 behind. 6 or 7 players and I limped and flop was 10-10-9. EP led out. I think 2 players (maybe just 1) called in front of me and I totally tanked. One guy I didn't know said I wonder what that guy is thinking about so hard. I folded and then showed my cards. He said he was undercover poker police and arrested me on the spot.

Comment? Stories?

Comments? Come to Aspen Park! Just kidding.

Folding an under boat in PLO is not super nitty at all. And 5 card PLO is even worse!

I probably would have called the flop bet in position to see what the action is on the turn first though. You could easily be drawing dead against 10 9, or having to fade a shit ton of outs if 2 people have a 10. Even if you are ahead at the moment, you could be looking at 24 out twice between the 2 players that have a 10.

So not as nitty a fold as you think, maybe just done a little too soon.

Folding an under boat in PLO is not super nitty at all. And 5 card PLO is even worse!

I probably would have called the flop bet in position to see what the action is on the turn first though. You could easily be drawing dead against 10 9, or having to fade a shit ton of outs if 2 people have a 10. Even if you are ahead at the moment, you could be looking at 24 out twice between the 2 players that have a 10.

So not as nitty a fold as you think, maybe just done a little too soon.
That's true, but is there anyway to justify the NLHE AA/888 fold? What's there to be afraid of here, that somebody's got the 4th 8? Or I guess if there was an overcard on the board and somebody had THAT pocket pair? I'm winning big or losing big on that hand for sure.

I can't think of any true nits on my part. I remember folding Queens preflop once, in a tournament. There was a big re-raise and a huge 4-bet, and I assumed I was looking at KK and AA, (which it turned out I was) so I folded. I still believe it was the right thing to do, even though the turn card was a Q.

Coming from another nit, I think Hand #2 is fine given the game. Hand #1 depends on the details of the hand, particularly player reads, the "x" card and turn card, and how deep you are. Seems like you pot-controlled fairly well and have a very good, possibly 2nd nuts, disguised hand that can beat a few hands that other players might bet for value. Hard to decide for sure without more info, but it may be a spot where I would have had decent enough odds to pay quads off.

Why anyone would celebrate being a nit is beyond me. The word nit is not usually spoken with kindness.

So no one else has any nit stories to share?

Ok, I guess I'll just post the reasons I folded these hands and then let this thread just fade away.......

at least until my grandchildren find it 30 years from now and come up to me and ask,
"Grandpa, you played poker? Is that how you lost all your money?" To which I will reply,
"No, you stupid little f**kers. Poker chips. that's how I lost all my money"

So no one else has any nit stories to share?

Ok, I guess I'll just post the reasons I folded these hands and then let this thread just fade away.......

at least until my grandchildren find it 30 years from now and come up to me and ask,
"Grandpa, you played poker? Is that how you lost all your money?" To which I will reply,
"No, you stupid little f**kers. Poker chips. that's how I lost all my money"

You certainly won't lose your money playing poker as a nit. You won't make any either.

You certainly won't lose your money playing poker as a nit. You won't make any either.

Actually, I do make money, consistently.
But I don't always lay down full houses. Sometimes its a crying call:)

I folded Hand #1 for a number of reasons. The fact that 7 players saw the flop is important. What do they say "never go broke in a limped pot".
Still @MrBo makes a good point about the other 'x' cards on the board. I do know that one was a low 2,3 or 4 and the other was not a face card.
If it were, then I would not have folded.
Also, this is a Saturday night crowd. No meta-leveling going on from villain or anyone else at the table. And, while I don't go off of reads very often, he did look very comfortable after his bet.
So what else could he have? He limped the button and flat called 2 (maybe 3) players on 88x flop.
I showed my AA and he showed J8o.

Hand #2 was more interesting I think.
I had 50c invested and there was only about $10-$12 in the pot on the flop.
My guess is that this is a slightly +EV situation, maybe like +$5.
But that I am going to basically be flipping for my $100 stack.
With a bet and call on a TT9 flop; one player 100% has a T and its likely that both do. I'm a slight favorite against 1 ten, I have better +EV against 2 but more variance. And a small but importance chance that I am drawing dead.
At the time I really didn't want to accept the variance for a small EV advantage so I folded.

FWIW, the hand went to the river and a 4 on the end made one player a boat. (I can't remember if the 2nd player even had a ten; I don't think so.)

lol nice one

giphy (1).gif

Actually, I do make money, consistently.

I folded Hand #1 for a number of reasons. The fact that 7 players saw the flop is important. What do they say "never go broke in a limped pot".
Still @MrBo makes a good point about the other 'x' cards on the board. I do know that one was a low 2,3 or 4 and the other was not a face card.
If it were, then I would not have folded.
Also, this is a Saturday night crowd. No meta-leveling going on from villain or anyone else at the table. And, while I don't go off of reads very often, he did look very comfortable after his bet.
So what else could he have? He limped the button and flat called 2 (maybe 3) players on 88x flop.
I showed my AA and he showed J8o.

Hand #2 was more interesting I think.
I had 50c invested and there was only about $10-$12 in the pot on the flop.
My guess is that this is a slightly +EV situation, maybe like +$5.
But that I am going to basically be flipping for my $100 stack.
With a bet and call on a TT9 flop; one player 100% has a T and its likely that both do. I'm a slight favorite against 1 ten, I have better +EV against 2 but more variance. And a small but importance chance that I am drawing dead.
At the time I really didn't want to accept the variance for a small EV advantage so I folded.

FWIW, the hand went to the river and a 4 on the end made one player a boat. (I can't remember if the 2nd player even had a ten; I don't think so.)

Your nit brag thread has inspired me. I will now create my own "ridiculous hands you won with LOL holdings" thread.

I will now create my own "ridiculous hands you won with LOL holdings" thread.

You should start that thread. I'm sure you win many hands with LOL holdings.
And I will be sure to chime in with as many helpful comments as you have to mine.

I am proud to be a nit when it's called for. I was in a game that ran for six years where everyone super loose/aggressive. I played like a total nit and made plenty of money. I also found that there are tons of great steal spots when everyone sees you as a nit.

I am proud to be a nit when it's called for. I was in a game that ran for six years where everyone super loose/aggressive. I played like a total nit and made plenty of money. I also found that there are tons of great steal spots when everyone sees you as a nit.

NIT.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom