What's up with the Hourglass mold? (1 Viewer)

Shmee515

Reaction score
Pretty new here but getting serious about designing a small cash set for my .25/.50 game.

So what's the deal with the CPC Hourglass mold? From what I can gather, it's one of the less popular options, but it matches a theme I'm knocking around in my head.

I plan to get samples either way but I'd be curious to hear people's personal experiences with it — positive, negative and everything in-between. Also, any favorite chips that have it? Thank you!

Last edited:
I like it just fine. My favorite custom CPC sample set I own is on the hourglass mold. Don't know why it's not popular, it's all personal taste.

20200901_145816.jpg

It just ran a couple months ago I think?
Yeah that's why I was thinking it might be a long time until it runs again. I don't think it's a very popular mold and I don't see it mentioned often in the list of upcoming molds.

I love my Hourglass set. I actually find them the easiest shufflers of any of my ASM/CPC sets with my dia-sqaure just behind.

The mold did run in the last few months. It doesn't have a lot of love, which is a shame and will likely result in a bit of a wait until enough orders build up for David to run it again. Patience here, as with most CPC custom orders, will be necessary.

That’s one I’ve never handled, but I think it looks pretty cool. I like a mold that’s purely geometric - no letters or pictures or suits or any meaning at all.

I like a mold that’s purely geometric - no letters or pictures or suits or any meaning at all.
I do as well. Hourglass doesn't really ring my bells, though, and I'm not even sure I can articulate why. Maybe like @mipevi said, it looks too busy. But maybe at the same time it's a little too plain? I like Roman, Web, and Triangle a whole lot but somehow Hourglass has a different visual feel to me.

The Hourglass mold was one of the first ASM molds to introduce a 1" inlay, so that was a big selling factor when I had The Beach set started in 2008. The pattern also was poignant to sand through an hourglass, or perhaps a continuous ripple of waves that grace the shores of a calm and relaxing beach.

The geometry also plays well in many sets, including an awesome feel in the Arizona Club that plays perfectly with an Escher related inlay, as done by @AlbinoDragon : https://www.pokerchipforum.com/thre...r0n-of-over-200-sets.13031/page-2#post-213105

If you use it for your set ultimately is just another mold design - how does it feel, do they "butter up" well over time, is the inlay size big enough for what you want in your artwork? For The Beach, I'd say it's the exact perfect choice. What's best for your set is up to the overall design.

beach_q25_single.jpg

beach_1_single.jpg

beach_5_single.jpg

beach_20_single.jpg

beach_100_single.jpg

beach_500_single.jpg

beach_splash.jpg

The CPC hourglass mold looks okay to me, although maybe a tad on the busy side. In general, I prefer their molds that have an outer concentric circle design (jockey, diasqr, cirsqr, HHR, A-mold, and B-mold). CPC molds that ĺack that feature are hourglass, FDL, H-mold, E&C, scrown, and lcrown.

But my biggest complaint is how the hourglass mold actually feels to me -- it just seems very light, unsubstantial, cheap, and by far the worst mold in the entire line-up imo for those reasons.

YMMV, but there are a lot of folks who share the sentiment.

I prefer their molds that have an outer concentric circle design [..]. CPC molds that ĺack that feature are hourglass, FDL, H-mold, E&C, scrown, and lcrown.

I share that preference, but I don't think lcrown fits that description of lacking an outer circle:

1663358050952.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom