What's a fair price for Paulson CDI's? (1 Viewer)

@Ben8257 I have also noticed that eBay rarely has desirable breakdowns of these sets (even when listed for astronomical prices, like $10,000 for 400 chips). The ones that are up for sale are usually by the rack. One of the reasons I bought so many of these was because no one (other than perhaps @Polochris) had put together a complete set and listed it for sale. It took me countless hours over the course of months to pull together complete sets. Chippers don't pay for each others time, but outsiders don't want to invest that kind of time into chipping together a set either. So, part of the premium on eBay may be justifiable (not only because of the fees built into cost but also the time/hassle element, assuming you had a complete set listed). Let's face it, eBay buyers are not as discriminating. But outside of this community, people also tend not recognize or want to pay for BTP, ES, AS, or SB chips. What they want is CDIs, Pharaoh or WTHC. It's just a different market altogether. So until the rest of the world learns any different, these chips will continue to have a higher perceived value outside of PCF.

@Ben8257 I have also noticed that eBay rarely has desirable breakdowns of these sets (even when listed for astronomical prices, like $10,000 for 400 chips). The ones that are up for sale are usually by the rack. One of the reasons I bought so many of these was because no one (other than perhaps @Polochris) had put together a complete set and listed it for sale. It took me countless hours over the course of months to pull together complete sets. Chippers don't pay for each others time, but outsiders don't want to invest that kind of time into chipping together a set either. So, part of the premium on eBay may be justifiable (not only because of the fees built into cost but also the time/hassle element, assuming you had a complete set listed). Let's face it, eBay buyers are not as discriminating. But outside of this community, people also tend not recognize or want to pay for BTP, ES, AS, or SB chips. What they want is CDIs, Pharaoh or WTHC. It's just a different market altogether. So until the rest of the world learns any different, these chips will continue to have a higher perceived value outside of PCF.

Couldn't agree more! Silly story of mine. One of my first Paulson sets was a 98 CDI set I purchased on eBay. Has no Idea what I was getting into, but I had a love for poker and a love for James Bond. Simply doing James Bond eBay searches, I came across the 98 CDI chips. I placed a bid and WON. I played with them for a little bit, AND THEN I came across this PCF community. Shorly after, I fell in love with PNY chips ( Another chip BG hates lol) I traded my entire 98 CDI set of around 700 chips, to Josh at Apache Poker Chips. I traded them in for around 400-500 PNY chips. Did I make a horrible mistake, yes I did, but now I know lol.

Simple answer is they are worth whatever someone will pay you for them. During times when there are not many options, they may be worth more. Currently there are many options which have deflated the price of more common chips. I have a sample and will not buy more since I have jb98 set, and I have paid anywhere from $1 to $3 a chip for them, depending on when I bought them and the seller's need to dispose of them.
You can argue anything is rare. How rare is a purified gallon of water? How rare is it in the desert? What would you pay after you have not had any for 2 days? What would someone pay on eBay does not equal what they would pay in a pawn shop or this site.

Sorry, but I would not pay $1 per chip. Nothing against your chips, I just dont want any and I have many MANY chips. If you think you could sell them for $4 each on eBay, do it. Make that money.

Spinettis is selling a jessie beck $100 for $90. I will sell 70 of them to you for $75 each. You could make $1000+ profit. Just send me $5250 and we got a deal. I'd even ship them for free.

Commodity pricing changes, know your market

wow, we have threadjacked the $€%# out of this, haven’t we?

@Coyotesetter I think you probably have, er... plenty of ... information? on pricing for these.

If you do pick them up, please let us know what you were able to talk the seller down to!

If you’d like to explore other chip options the kind folks on here can help.

Especially @BGinGA : Even the rare times when I disagree with him, he always helps me clarify my thinking on a topic. I’ve seen him do that for a lot of people. And then sometimes I come back later and realize he was right after all. :rolleyes:

@Steppenwolf I should have mentioned I think there is a world of difference between heading straight to eBay to turn a profit vs. going there as a last resort to avoid a loss. And I’m glad to hear that in your case if you do go to the evil empire it will be the latter. :tup:

I'm making my own faux CDI98 fracs because I want quarters. Don't know when I'll get started, but when I do there will be a thread on it. Stay tuned!

Gear milled and labeled
CDI Frac.jpg

Simple answer is they are worth whatever someone will pay you for them. During times when there are not many options, they may be worth more. Currently there are many options which have deflated the price of more common chips. I have a sample and will not buy more since I have jb98 set, and I have paid anywhere from $1 to $3 a chip for them, depending on when I bought them and the seller's need to dispose of them.
You can argue anything is rare. How rare is a purified gallon of water? How rare is it in the desert? What would you pay after you have not had any for 2 days? What would someone pay on eBay does not equal what they would pay in a pawn shop or this site.

Sorry, but I would not pay $1 per chip. Nothing against your chips, I just dont want any and I have many MANY chips. If you think you could sell them for $4 each on eBay, do it. Make that money.

Spinettis is selling a jessie beck $100 for $90. I will sell 70 of them to you for $75 each. You could make $1000+ profit. Just send me $5250 and we got a deal. I'd even ship them for free.

Commodity pricing changes, know your market
Great post, Tim. Only caveat I'd add is to amend your opening sentence:

"(chips) are worth whatever someone will pay you for them."

Because that price/value only reflects what the chips are worth TO THAT BUYER AT THAT SPECIFIC MOMENT IN TIME, and does not necessarily reflect what they are "worth" to anybody else, or at another time under different circumstances (whether it be differing market conditions, financial status, or whatever).

What many casual obsevers fail to realize, is that that price-in-time does NOT set a benchmark value or a hard setting for those chips for the entire market (for all identical chips, all sellers, or all buyers).

Your "value of water" examples are a crystal clear example of this often-overlooked descrepancy.

As this is the best offer I have received, I will be considering it...
$8.01 :whistle: :whistling:

Anyway, regarding the subject at hand, anything between $2 for lower denominations and $3 for higher denominations is a really nice deal, IMO. Any minty Paulsons that can be had for under $2/chip should be a snap buy.

Great post, Tim. Only caveat I'd add is to amend your opening sentence:

"(chips) are worth whatever someone will pay you for them."

Because that price/value only reflects what the chips are worth TO THAT BUYER AT THAT SPECIFIC MOMENT IN TIME, and does not necessarily reflect what they are "worth" to anybody else, or at another time under different circumstances (whether it be differing market conditions, financial status, or whatever).

What many casual obsevers fail to realize, is that that price-in-time does NOT set a benchmark value or a hard setting for those chips for the entire market (for all identical chips, all sellers, or all buyers).

Your "value of water" examples are a crystal clear example of this often-overlooked descrepancy.

Yep. For example a couple weeks ago I offered $500 for a rack that sold not long ago for around $300 and had been sitting unsold for almost a year in the classifieds in multiple listings. Seller turned the offer down.

If seller was to change his mind on the 500 now I probably would have to pass since I've moved on and have found replacements for those chips in this set.

Something about the Pharaoh's for sure...

I recently bought...and sold...1300 of these in 2 months...

Only the Pharaoh's made any kind of profit. It's not like I got rich. I took small losses on all my chips when adding in international PayPal charges and shipping. I sold Classics, CDIs and many Pharaoh's.

The Pharaoh's look Considerably different. I can't say they feel or sound any different though. They are the same...but then they aren't.

Paulson chips mould encompasses Classics 05 CDIs and Pharaoh's...

I had all 3 in my possession at once in a mixed set...there is no difference in the mould.

Well take a closer look then. There are two paulson molds
I am newb...so I'd take your word Lash. For sure...I did sell out though. They are all gone. But I would spend hours trying to see if there is a difference. Why not just type it out and educate us...

I am newb...so I'd take your word Lash. For sure...I did sell out though. They are all gone. But I would spend hours trying to see if there is a difference. Why not just type it out and educate us...
the nps and pharaoh have a completely flat mold with bigger lettering. Where as these have smaller letters and a ring that almost makes it look like it was meant for a bigger inlay
B9EC9B87-8B94-4CF8-B0D0-3DF732691D15.jpeg

Cdi has a slightly raised ring much like a rhc chip. I belive the mold is the same as the paulson promo chips seen from time to time. The other very similar chips like pharaos and classics don't have that raised ring

Yes @Lash

You are sooooo correct. As I say...dumb newb here.

I do remember this difference. Forgot all about it because it didn't make a difference to me.

But you are absolutely right

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom