Whatever happened to 'Faux Clay Nation'? (1 Viewer)

I have Jason's email address if interested. I haven't corresponded with him in several years, so unknown if it is still valid.

That'd be great, thanks! I sent him an email a few months ago but it may have been a different address.

IMG_0030.JPG
IMG_0035.JPG
IMG_0034.JPG

I'm still a member of the FCN. Josh's chips didn't die, they just joined the collective. Resistance is futile.

Lasered a nice cash and tourney set. Jason was so nice! I drove the chips out to him (he wasn't too far from where I live).

I tried getting in touch when I picked up the yellows but he didn't answer either.

As a hobbyist maker, I would be really interested in the strength of the laser that was used by h4tfan and the setup.

I inquired a while back about getting some faux engraved but hadn't heard back and thought he must have closed up shop.

Really cool info in this thread, I'd never heard of these. Amazing how well they appear to stack 100-high.

^ I experimented with laser engraving some chips about six years ago with a colleague and the 75W CO2 laser we were using was more than capable for the task. Memory is vague, but I seem to recall nice results in the 30-40W range. I put a pic in my intro thread. These were Nexgen chips but I'd hazard a wild guess that a similar power would be a good starting point on these faux clays.

The guy I was working with has since opened his own fabrication shop with bigger lasers, CNC routers, etc. If anyone was really interested, shoot me a message - I could get in touch and see if he would tackle chip engraving. He does great work but is always booked full so there might be some waiting involved. And would likely need to sacrifice a few chips to dial in the ideal results.

Great Great memories in this thread. I still use my original gray faux clays as my .25c chips in our cash game. They have held up great over the years. Faux Clay Nation!!!

Do folks remember when Target stores sold Michael Graves branded poker chip sets? Nice chips but terrible storage carousels. I have a bunch of those thrifted over the years. Are those technically faux clay or something else? Thanks!

Michael Graves chips are different from the faux clay chips. I have never seen a sample or set, but remember there were discussions about them on the blue board in the context of cheap chip options.

Anyone looking to part with a large tourney set of faux clays? One of the young guys in my regular game is looking to upgrade his metal insert chips, ..... ummm ok, I am looking to upgrade his chips, I can't stand the sound or the metal clanking when we play at his place.

These are cool - it sure seems the chip-bug bit me past it's heyday. Thanks for sharing the history!

The guy I was working with has since opened his own fabrication shop with bigger lasers, CNC routers, etc. If anyone was really interested, shoot me a message - I could get in touch and see if he would tackle chip engraving. He does great work but is always booked full so there might be some waiting involved. And would likely need to sacrifice a few chips to dial in the ideal results.

I'd be interested in getting some chips lasered, and I can send some sacrifice chips to dial the settings in.

As the first to sell out, yellow faux achieved cult status within the nation and people with large quantities of them were greatly revered. At some point, I stopped keeping track. People with merchant accounts on 5stardeals were able to check the remaining quantities available and would post them from time to time.

I wonder if someday people will be talking about cryptocurrency the same way Faux Clays are discussed here... Amazing thread, in any case.

Did anyone ever attempt to nail down what the material was, or who produced these?

The are dyed

I have a rack of these that I’d love to do a Cubs theme heads up set with. What is a ball park per chip cost on lasering?! And how do i find a person? I only have an exact 100 so no spares for them to practice on

I have a rack of these that I’d love to do a Cubs theme heads up set with. What is a ball park per chip cost on lasering?! And how do i find a person? I only have an exact 100 so no spares for them to practice on
I had those done about 9 years ago. he was over on CT, not sure if he is still around or not.

Just sent a message to the laser guy I used to work with. Will see if I can stop in with some chips and see what kind of results we can get. I don't have any faux clays though. If I hear back and anyone wants to send a couple samples to experiment on, would be happy to give it a go.

I'd be interested in getting some chips lasered, and I can send some sacrifice chips to dial the settings in.
I'm really sorry, must have missed this. If I get anywhere with this, I'll get in touch.

As an aside... as @bentax1978 once pointed out to me, lasering might also be a nice option for creating "shaped inlay replacement" recesses without restrictions on corners and cusps due to milling tooling diameters. @Gear .... you may need a new toy!!

Just sent a message to the laser guy I used to work with. Will see if I can stop in with some chips and see what kind of results we can get. I don't have any faux clays though. If I hear back and anyone wants to send a couple samples to experiment on, would be happy to give it a go.

I'm really sorry, must have missed this. If I get anywhere with this, I'll get in touch.

As an aside... as @bentax1978 once pointed out to me, lasering might also be a nice option for creating "shaped inlay replacement" recesses without restrictions on corners and cusps due to milling tooling diameters. @Gear .... you may need a new toy!!

Pm me your address I will send some faux.

People tried hot-stamping them, which didn't work well for some reason, then cold-stamping them with rubber stamps and permanent white Staz On ink. Eventually, some enterprising member developed a way to dye the white chips different colors by submerging them in some sort of laundry dye. The whites then sold out and members made some sweet semi-custom sets in this manner. So it was down to red.

Nice walk down memory lane. I like to think that I was that enterprising member who started the dying craze.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom