Whatcha Eating Today (1 Viewer)

Traditional turkey with stuffing and lots of sides

4C23FD14-F06F-40A7-8173-E46EBB2A88E1.jpeg
8C02AAD4-8848-4319-BBC3-B2BBD6F3426F.jpeg
121D0D21-DAF1-4D89-811A-E191C350554B.jpeg

Late afternoon traditional meal at our niece's new home, with most of her (and Karen's) relatives present. Quite a spread for somebody also tending to a one-month old (plus a toddler):

Appetizers;
  • Shrimp cocktail
  • Fruit tray
  • Cheese tray
  • Fruit ambrosia
Main dishes:
  • Roasted turkey
  • Deep-fried turkey
  • Mashed potatoes
  • Homemade stuffing
  • Homemade turkey giblet gravy
  • Green bean casserole
  • Sweet potato casserole
  • Homemade rolls
Homemade pies:
  • Pumpkin (2)
  • Apple (2)
  • Blackberry cobbler
Needless to say, I'm stuffed -- everything was absolutely delicious.

Sorry, no pics -- the inlaws think I'm crazy enough already with this hobby; wasn't about to fuel that fire by taking Thanksgiving day food pictures to post on a poker chip forum. :wow:

Happy Thanksgiving PCF
5F4D3A68-213B-4F84-82C7-AFB7054D43E4.jpeg

I forgot to add (because the lack of pics)... cinnamon infused vanilla ice cream. The perfect sidekick for an apple pie.

turkey for breakfast, turkey for lunch, turkey for dinner...………………………..

I’ve never had deep fried turkey. Need some of that in my life.
I've had smoked, roasted and deep-fried. Deep fried gets a lot of kudos. Peanut oil and turkey play well together. However, Deep fried turkey
  • Dries out the wings and the ends of the legs
  • Is inefficient for getting a proper brine
  • Does not allow for gravy production
  • The oil is "expensive" if you are cooking a single bird, adding $30 - often more than the cost of the bird.
  • Oil disposal
  • Specialized cooker.

turkey for breakfast, turkey for lunch, turkey for dinner...………………………..
Turkey breakfast:
1543064294961.png

Turkey Stuffed French Toast
Turkey (leftovers) put into a food processor along with cold gravy (leftover), bacon (from the oyster course), and sausage spices. Blend until fine (it'll look like sausage).

Add cranberry sauce (leftovers) to a saucier (small pot) with a little sweet white wine (leftover, or just an early start on the day). Boil until thick (it may need a little whisking help).

Slice a pocket into a thick slice of Challah Bread and fill with turkey mixture. Dip into egg whites (leftover from making the ice cream). Fry one side on a buttered oven-safe skillet. Flip it over and put it into a 300°F (150°C) preheated oven.

Plate it up and top with cranberry gravy.

Sounds insane. Made it once about 5 years ago. Now @Mrs Poker Zombie makes sure to pick up Challah bread when shopping for thanksgiving - it's really that good.

One of my best dinners ever was by Michael Simon. This would be an easy choice if ever in Cleveland. You will have to let us know if it was worth it. I'm sure it's overpriced now, and well... who wants to go to Cleveland?

Its only a two hour drive for me. Plus its near where @Rhodeman77 lives. Colleen has family in Cleveland. I might just visit them with her one weekend :)

One of my best dinners ever was by Michael Simon. This would be an easy choice if ever in Cleveland. You will have to let us know if it was worth it. I'm sure it's overpriced now, and well... who wants to go to Cleveland?
Pricey, but not the priciest place. Steak is about 45, highest priced item was Dover sole at 65. Food was excellent!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom