Whatcha Eating Today (1 Viewer)

detroitdad

Royal Flush
Reaction score
What are your Thanksgiving Day meal plans!!! Were going non traditional today.

Today it is just Colleen, Jake and I. Ali and the boys "might" come by later. Not sure if they will be here for dinner.

Colleen works this morning. I asked her what she wanted. She requested "Open Faced Chicken Pot Pie". Easy peasy. I have some Rosemary Herb Onion bread. Were going to toast it. Then pour the chicken pot pie mix over it.

I'm currently cooking the chicken and veggies in a chicken stock. Then I'll use that chicken stock to make the gravy!!!

Colleen loves cranberry sauce. I decided to try my hand at making it home made. I'll let you know how it goes. It looks pretty easy to make.

She should be home by three. I plan on having her stuffed mushrooms for an appetizer (another favorite of hers).

What are you eating? The more food pics the better.

Right now I’m nom nom noming a big bowl of lucky charms. No milk.
image.jpg

Here's the plan...

First course: Multi-squash soup using Turks Turban, Acorn, and Butternut squashes. Topped with a drizzle of pumpkin oil, because pumpkins are people squashes too.

Second course: Oysters on the halfshell. I'm recreating the recipe from Twain's Steakhouse in Tunica. Oysters, bacon, white wine, mushrooms and onion with breadcrumbs.

Main:
  • Applewood smoked turkey. Will start smoking it as soon as it's not too early to fire up the chainsaw, because the applewood is still on the tree.
  • Mashed golden potatoes with white truffle-oil. Using the ricer again. Will never use a masher for potatoes again. It's one of the few multi-taskers that I approve of.
  • Green bean casserole from scratch. No cheap-ass canned soup here. Will use a combination of oyster and chanterelle mushrooms.
  • Cranberry sauce. I've done it from scratch, and it tasted exactly the same. I'm going back to the can this year to cut out the mess. Good luck, Bill
  • Bread and cranberry stuffing. Just because the sauce is from a can, doesn't mean the real deal isn't making an appearance.
  • Two types of gravy. I make one from the turkey drippings and giblets, but it's very smokey. The other is from a jar, doctored up with fresh sage, and black pepper.
  • Rainbow carrots, finished with a honey-mint glaze.
  • Fresh rolls from scratch... shit I better better quit typing and start mixing the dough for that and the...
  • Apple pie. 3 types of apples this year. I'm from Michigan. I worked in a cider mill. I'm a bit of an apple connoisseur. I use less sugar than most in my pie, because rum is used to make up the difference.
I'll log back on when I recover from the food coma with pics - probably in the Dinner Plans thread.

Colleen works this morning.

I don't shop on any holiday. I hope shop keepers who make their employees work on a holiday lose money.

What are your Thanksgiving Day meal plans!!!

Vegetables. :(

My mother-in-law makes a killer sausage stuffing... Won't be having any of that this year...

Also, my wife makes homemade cranberry sauce every year. So much better than the canned jello...

Inspired by your Halloween offering, I made devilled eggs with fresh dill and horseradish. I considered eating it all last night and making more this morning. We have the eggs and all the other ingredients...

Last edited:
I'm about to make homemade cranberry sauce for colleen. If it isn't to difficult, want to PM me her recipe? or the ingredients that she uses (yes I know, cranberries asshole lol)

the ingredients that she uses

Put three bags of cranberries in a pot with a cup and a half of water and and a teaspoon of powdered ginger.

Bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil them until they "pop" which takes 5 to 10 minutes.

Add a cup and a half of sugar and a tablespoon of orange zest. You can also add one teaspoon of Brandy. Keep them on a low boil, simmering, until it's thickens up slightly. Remove it from the heat, and it will thicken up more as it cools.

Last edited:
I was going to do something similar. Thanks. I think I'll try lemon zest.

I don't have any brandy. @Poker Zombie what about adding some grand marnier?

Waiting for other to get up. Probably do some bacon and pancakes for a little breakfast. Currently I am getting things ready like chopping stuff up. Going to deep fry our turkey this year so most of the work will be 2 hours before dinner. Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Happy Thanksgiving all!

Mod Edit: deleted picture

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the plan...

First course: Multi-squash soup using Turks Turban, Acorn, and Butternut squashes. Topped with a drizzle of pumpkin oil, because pumpkins are people squashes too.

Second course: Oysters on the halfshell. I'm recreating the recipe from Twain's Steakhouse in Tunica. Oysters, bacon, white wine, mushrooms and onion with breadcrumbs.

Main:
  • Applewood smoked turkey. Will start smoking it as soon as it's not too early to fire up the chainsaw, because the applewood is still on the tree.
  • Mashed golden potatoes with white truffle-oil. Using the ricer again. Will never use a masher for potatoes again. It's one of the few multi-taskers that I approve of.
  • Green bean casserole from scratch. No cheap-ass canned soup here. Will use a combination of oyster and chanterelle mushrooms.
  • Cranberry sauce. I've done it from scratch, and it tasted exactly the same. I'm going back to the can this year to cut out the mess. Good luck, Bill
  • Bread and cranberry stuffing. Just because the sauce is from a can, doesn't mean the real deal isn't making an appearance.
  • Two types of gravy. I make one from the turkey drippings and giblets, but it's very smokey. The other is from a jar, doctored up with fresh sage, and black pepper.
  • Rainbow carrots, finished with a honey-mint glaze.
  • Fresh rolls from scratch... shit I better better quit typing and start mixing the dough for that and the...
  • Apple pie. 3 types of apples this year. I'm from Michigan. I worked in a cider mill. I'm a bit of an apple connoisseur. I use less sugar than most in my pie, because rum is used to make up the difference.
I'll log back on when I recover from the food coma with pics - probably in the Dinner Plans thread.

Your views intrigue me good sir. How may I subscribe to your newsletter?

We are going to my cousins who live about a block from John M. I got a 23 lb turkey from work that was killed yesterday. They are cooking it along with two types of kielbasa and pierogie. Yes we are Polish. Good spread and I am thankful that my formerly fractured family has been reunited for the last few years! Playing poker tomorrow evening at Tarlo’s. Currently watching boring Lions game contemplating beer vs coffee.

Edit @SixSpeedFury that is just wrong. Also not safe for family/work.

Should have taken pix earlier.

Breakfast: Hash brown crust quiche, home made cinnamon rolls, unlimited mimosas.

Dinner (in a couple hours): still on the smoker, beef brisket and turkey. Traditional sides. Pumpkin pie with home made vanilla ice cream. Unlimited wine.

What are your Thanksgiving Day meal plans!!! Were going non traditional today.

Today it is just Colleen, Jake and I. Ali and the boys "might" come by later. Not sure if they will be here for dinner.

Colleen works this morning. I asked her what she wanted. She requested "Open Faced Chicken Pot Pie". Easy peasy. I have some Rosemary Herb Onion bread. Were going to toast it. Then pour the chicken pot pie mix over it.

I'm currently cooking the chicken and veggies in a chicken stock. Then I'll use that chicken stock to make the gravy!!!

Colleen loves cranberry sauce. I decided to try my hand at making it home made. I'll let you know how it goes. It looks pretty easy to make.

She should be home by three. I plan on having her stuffed mushrooms for an appetizer (another favorite of hers).

What are you eating? The more food pics the better.

Homemade cranberry sauce is the best! Made ours last night with orange juice, orange zest, cointreau, nutmeg, and cinnamon sticks.

We are having turkey, scalloped sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce, rolls, mashed potatoes, roasted brussel sprouts.

Plus pumpkin pie and pecan pie. I'm also making a spiked cider with anise, cloves, cinnamon and bourbon.

Too much, suffice to say.

I've got the split between my parents and inlaws. Lunch at 12, drive for an hour, dinner at 5. It's a little much! :sick:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom