What would you have done? Villian dropped cards on floor (1 Viewer)

pnwpoker8

High Hand
Reaction score
Copy-paste of my thread from reddit

---

1/3 NL cash game at local cardroom. Hand history doesn't matter but here it is:

Hero (~$150) in MP with 3c3s raises to $15 over 1 limp from EP.

Villain (~$110) in button 3B to $45.

Folds to Hero and Hero flat calls. Table has been splashy and 3B light with hands such as Q3o). Hero has a TAG image capable of running bluffs.

Flop: 9sTcJc (Pot: $94).

Hero checks - villain bets $45, hero jams, villain snap calls.

I immediately table my 33 thinking I'm probably beat. Villain seems pretty confident and attempts to table his hand as he is standing up for a seat change and DROPS HIS CARDS ON THE FLOOR (off the table). As the dealer is dealing the runout (brick turn and brick river), the floor (supervisor) is called for a ruling - and declares the villain's hand dead.

The villain looks absolutely floored, and tables his dropped AA. As the dealer was pushing the pot to me, I immediately asked if we can void the hand. The dealer allowed us to chop the pot after drop was taken. The villain was relieved and was thankful he was able to get a rebate for the ruling.

Am curious as to what folks on this subreddit would do in this situation. The below is my reasoning for allowing to void the hand:
  1. I am frequenting this card room more regularly and players at this room are beginning to recognize who I am.
  2. Poker is a hobby for the long run. I play cash games to improve and win off skill and outplaying my opponents - not by angle shooting and attempting for rulings in my favor.
  3. It's only ~$100 (33 BB), I'd rather not have a grudge held against me for such an insignificant amount of money.
---

Looking for opinions here from this forum in comparison to reddit :)

While I get the point of ruling his hand dead, as the floor I would have had the dealer deal the board, then collect all the cards, sort the deck and verify the two aces were missing from the deck and then award the pot to the winning hand. Now if there were other people in the hand or action was pending then his hand is dead.

I think I would have gone with the ruling from the dealer. Since the ruling was from a third party, you aren’t responsible for it.

it might be different if you were holding KQ on that board but seeing as how you got in 1/3 of your stack with 33 i'd do exactly as you did. In general though, i'd do what you did unless he's clearly shooting an angle (not sure what that would be) but i'd hate to profit off an honest mistake.

I think what you did is admirable and your reasoning makes sense.

I also agree with @moose about how it could have been handled differently by the floor, but I understand the floor's decision to have a zero-tolerance policy toward dropped cards as it offers a quick resolution to the issue.

I think chopping the pot was nice and if you’re a regular, maybe even a +ev move.

But please don’t count me amount the people who have sympathies for this villain. There is no excuse for dropping your cards on the floor. It should never be possible.

I think chopping with villain is a fine move. You get some nice guy EV from other regs, and you're really the one getting a rebate in a pot you should have lost.

Now if this were a home game, I'm shoving the entire pot to AA and ribbing him mercilessly for the rest of the night.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom