What to do with vinyl scraps? (1 Viewer)

T_Chan

Full House
Site Vendor
Reaction score
I build a lot of tables. I try not to put seams in the rails whenever possible, which means my rails are mostly made from 1 piece of vinyl. I cut out the middle of the rail leaving me with a piece that's roughly 20"x60", though it varies depending on the size of the rail. I have hundreds of these scrap pieces left in little mini ovals. I've never had the heart to throw them away, but they're starting to become a problem as I too many of them taking up space.

I'm not so interested in stitching them together to and start offering rails with seams. 1st reason is because I hate seams. 2nd reason is that the labor it would cost to stitch them together costs more than just using new material.

Any suggestions? :confused

Covered side tables. Or go to your local JoAnn Fabric store and put a WTS ad on their board. I bet you'd get a taker!

I've tried my local craigslist but didn't think to try the fabric/vinyl stores in the area. Great idea, I will check them out to see if they have a board posted up.

I build a lot of tables. I try not to put seams in the rails whenever possible, which means my rails are mostly made from 1 piece of vinyl. I cut out the middle of the rail leaving me with a piece that's roughly 20"x60", though it varies depending on the size of the rail. I have hundreds of these scrap pieces left in little mini ovals. I've never had the heart to throw them away, but they're starting to become a problem as I too many of them taking up space.

I'm not so interested in stitching them together to and start offering rails with seams. 1st reason is because I hate seams. 2nd reason is that the labor it would cost to stitch them together costs more than just using new material.

For 60” round tables, I take the vinyl to an automotive upholstery shop since the vinyl isn’t wide enough. You can see the seam in the pic. I don’t think the seams are objectionable.

I haven’t done this on ovals so YMMV.

What about some small ovals for drink and snack tables? The rail will help stop and/or contain spills.
I think that would be a cool accessory for your tables. And I would be willing to test one of them out for you. ;)

If you have 8 of them that match, you can send them to me free with the custom playing surface I need to buy from you this summer?

Ok, serious new business - make a mouse pad with rail and ssc. The rail padding can be called ergonomic and will prevent RSI :)

For 60” round tables, I take the vinyl to an automotive upholstery shop since the vinyl isn’t wide enough. You can see the seam in the pic. I don’t think the seams are objectionable.

I haven’t done this on ovals so YMMV.

View attachment 246844

The seam looks great. I upholster my 60" rounds using the vinyl stretch method. When I work with real leather, then I do the same type of stitch. My leftovers are only 20" wide though so they aren't wide enough to use 2 pieces for any poker table, I'd need 4-8 pieces. Way too many seams.

Should you have replaced your own face on the king? (but keep the mustache)
There's a person on facebook that sells tiny poker tables. Maybe this is a new potential market and use for your scraps?

View attachment 246889

What is this, a poker table for ANTS?!

$115? Definitely should be making those. I think I could make a dozen of them with each tables' leftovers.

The seam looks great. I upholster my 60" rounds using the vinyl stretch method. When I work with real leather, then I do the same type of stitch. My leftovers are only 20" wide though so they aren't wide enough to use 2 pieces for any poker table, I'd need 4-8 pieces. Way too many seams.

$115? Definitely should be making those. I think I could make a dozen of them with each tables' leftovers.

With a lighted rail would be really cool.

Save them for the day you get a huge order for heads up tables!

Indeed I've used the scraps for 1 heads up table and another for a demo table.

You can see the two smaller tables, 1 has leftover grey suede and the other is regular black vinyl.

The scraps are big enough for the miniature tables.

Typically I'll use the scrap pieces to cover the bottom layer outer edge. Sometimes with or without decorative push pins.

Attachments

• 20190206_214912.jpg
    20190206_214912.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 99
  • 20190206_214952.jpg
    20190206_214952.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 116

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom