What Poker Chips don't Stink? (1 Viewer)

Martin066s

Reaction score
As a kid I played Poker and could only afford dice and ultimate poker chips. I recently got interested in Poker again, but both of these chips have an awful smell, that I can't bear anymore.
pokerset-ultimate-300-mix-it~5.jpg
pokerchip-dice-blau.jpg

I would like to make this thread a place for general discussion, because I didn't find any other thread discussing this topic.

My personal questions:
Are there any ABS poker chips that don't stink?
Do ceramic chips don't stink in general?
What are your expierences with these Monte Carlo and "WSOP Ace High" (ceramics) poker chips?
monte-carlo-5000-poker-chip.jpg
Screenshot 2023-01-08 010125.png

Can you recommend me a poker set with 300 chips that doesn't stink and costs under 200€/$ ?

I appreciate every reply :)

I’ve never encountered any odor from ceramics. Oddly old school Paulsons had a very distinct and strong aroma (rubbery petrol?), though it’s one I quite liked.

I don’t have over much experience with ABS. The Matsui samples I have are neutral

my old china clays definitely have a smell... my wife says they smell like BO.... I think they smell like crayons

My Monte Carlos had a slight odor to them when unboxed, but it went away quickly.

I never sniffed 'em before, but the Milano china clay samples I have actually do smell a little bit, a full set might actually have a noticeable odor.

None of my ceramics/plastics smell much at all.

None of my clay chips smell much at all.

Not sure about EU vendors vs US, but at $200 for 300 chips you're looking at no more than 66c a chip. Slugged plastic like the Monte Carlos are by far the cheapest decent denominated chips (20c a chip give or take). There are a number of different designs for that style of chip, but they are substantially heavier than other chips (13.5g vs 9~10g). Over on the Group Buy forum you can find Monthly Cards Mold Chip orders with a number of different designs for about 35c to 40c a chip + shipping. Those are ceramics and don't smell at all. There are a few kind of 'China Clay' chips which are not true clay, but have a different texture to plastic chips. They tend to run 40~50c a chip, but seem to get the most smell complaints. Beyond that things probably start to leave your price range, with ceramic chips from places like BRProPoker running ~80c a chip.

Personally I would recommend you not buy a pre-designed 'set' but rather pick the denominations you need and order 300 of those. If you're not sure about what denominations to get and how many of each, maybe start a thread including the details on your game (# of players, stakes, how much rebuy, etc.) and people would be happy to offer some advice. 300 chips is a bit light for a cash game, but if you only play with 6 people and people don't bust out and rebuy very often it can work fine.

Also there's a great resource thread here:
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/new-members-start-here.85303/

Hello sorry if this is an old thread, but just wanted to say that my Milanos didn't stink at all when they came in.

I've seen many people complain about it but that wasn't the case for me.

Thank you

As a kid I played Poker and could only afford dice and ultimate poker chips. I recently got interested in Poker again, but both of these chips have an awful smell, that I can't bear anymore.
pokerset-ultimate-300-mix-it~5.jpg
pokerchip-dice-blau.jpg

I would like to make this thread a place for general discussion, because I didn't find any other thread discussing this topic.

My personal questions:
Are there any ABS poker chips that don't stink?
Do ceramic chips don't stink in general?
What are your expierences with these Monte Carlo and "WSOP Ace High" (ceramics) poker chips?
monte-carlo-5000-poker-chip.jpg
View attachment 1054526
Can you recommend me a poker set with 300 chips that doesn't stink and costs under 200€/$ ?

I appreciate every reply :)
I've got a couple thousand of those cheap "smooth" Monte Carlo chips from ThePokerStore website. I never noticed a bad smell. Maybe I'm hard of smelling...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom