What part of a turkey do you prefer? (3 Viewers)

Chippy McChiperson

4 of a Kind
Reaction score
We started to talk about this in the strat thread, but I figured it belonged over here. Very important question - do you like the white meat or dark meat? Personally, I prefer the dark meat. It's yummalicious.

First meal - dark meat. My favorite though is leftover white meat for sandwiches.

leftover turkey sandwiches are the best.

I like the white meat, dark meat, leg, breast, doesn't matter to me.

Lately I've been cooking just the Turkey breast on the charcoal grill over indirect heat with a touch of smoke. Outstanding!!!

dark for sure. never understood the love for white meat over dark in either chicken or turkey. not nearly as much flavor.

meal/leftovers: dark
sandwiches: white (dark ok too, though)

Best use of leftover dark meat: braise, covered, in low and slow oven, in milk with lots of thinly sliced onions and lots of freshly ground pepper, until the meat is the consistency of pulled pork and much of the milk has evaporated. Serve on toasted potato rolls or other quality bread.

Heaven.

I have to go with white meat for turkey salad sandwiches (add some Miracle Whip, chopped celery, garlic, cumin, and minced onions).... but for hot meals, I prefer the dark meat. It usually grosses out a lot of people, but the neck meat is good too

Dark meat all the way, for any poultry.

There are so many new fast food places popping up that serve only white meat -- like PDQ, whose food sucks. Where's all the delicious dark meat going?

I think K9dr nailed it perfectly.

Dark meat when it comes out of the oven, white meat for turkey salad leftovers.

White meat if it's not dry with lots of gravy. Also white meat for leftover sandwiches with lettuce, mayo and sliced red beet eggs
Twist my arm ever so gently and I'll eat dark meat too :)

However.... there is a little secret dark meat place under the turkey when you're carving the breast that is just out of this world...SOOO GOOD

Dark meat and skin all the way.

I pressure cook the carcass with onion, celery, and carrot. Maybe a bayleaf.
Strain

Then make a bomb turkey soup with leftover breast, potatoes, and another round of mirepoix.

First time I went to Thanksgiving with my wife's family I was a little confused as to why her sweet little 80-pound grandmother had the remaining turkey carcass and little else on her plate. I remember asking her afterwards "so do you guys always make grandma eat the carcass?" Apparently grandma specifically requests the carcass and loves to pick at all the meat scraps. Gotta love the Depression-era grandparent mentality.

Grandma was also very controlling of grandpa's diet, and this hilarious conversation between them was overheard at another Thanksgiving:

GM: "Harry, I'm mad at you... you had gravy on your turkey!"
GP: "It was too dry!"
GM: "And you had pie too!"
GP: "I only ate the shell!"
GM: "We'll see what the scale says in the morning."

il_340x270.672689922_c3ja.jpg

Of course, I have been taking to Infra Red frying of my turkey's the past couple of years. Brine them for 48 hours, and throw them in an IR Fryer. Amazing, and none of the danger of oil fryers. So juicy, impossible to dry them out.

However.... there is a little secret dark meat place under the turkey when you're carving the breast that is just out of this world...SOOO GOOD

Yeah! Chickens, too. I used to know the name for them and google was no help. Anybody?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom