what makes a plastic chip not slick? (1 Viewer)

jeff123

Pair
Reaction score
there are different types of plastic/materials that seem to be less slippery than others.
I tried using sandpaper on some of the plastics I have and that didn’t really do anything. For some, the effect was suctioning which wore off after a while.

seems like greater chip to label size ratio helps. in other words the greater the label size the worse the stacking and slickness. Also seems like textured plastic face like the nexgen 8000 series make a chip less slick/slippery.

some versions of the nicer plastic lines b&g and bud jones have a suction effect but not sure that qualifies as not slick.

wondering if there are any other factors.

Thanks

On a serious note I remember hearing something like calcium carbonate was added to give the chips a softer feel. I’m sure the higher end chips have secret ingredients and I know some Nexgen chips have a hockey puck feel to them. Maybe rubber or synthetic rubber is added?

On a serious note I remember hearing something like calcium carbonate was added to give the chips a softer feel. I’m sure the higher end chips have secret ingredients and I know some Nexgen chips have a hockey puck feel to them. Maybe rubber or synthetic rubber is added?
So you're saying we should use hockey pucks for poker chips?

Puck-4.jpg

1. The plastic the chip’s made from
2. Texturing to create friction

The 9.5g “Faux Clays” from years ago excelled in these two aspects, hence their legendary status. 11.5g dice chips suck at both. Chips like modern 13.5 Claysmiths are somewhere in the middle.

s2 are very good looking chips. I would put stacking and slickness in two different categories though.

some common things i’ve noticed are exploding barrels, trying to move stacks in and out of pots, accidentally touching your chip stack and it slides all over the place. these are more of the slickness i’m referring to. I have some plastics that you can stack very high but handling them feels very slippery. and if you took a stack at the base and started swirling it in a slow circle there’s a pretty immediate collapse.
for what it’s worth I’ve noticed this with rhc as well. thinking of trying to do some flattening to mitigate this problem with rhc.

but that same slickness makes the chips slide in a really cool manner when you are putting out a bet.

s2 are very good looking chips. I would put stacking and slickness in two different categories though.

some common things i’ve noticed are exploding barrels, trying to move stacks in and out of pots, accidentally touching your chip stack and it slides all over the place. these are more of the slickness i’m referring to. I have some plastics that you can stack very high but handling them feels very slippery. and if you took a stack at the base and started swirling it in a slow circle there’s a pretty immediate collapse.
for what it’s worth I’ve noticed this with rhc as well. thinking of trying to do some flattening to mitigate this problem with rhc.

but that same slickness makes the chips slide in a really cool manner when you are putting out a bet.

I took a stack of these very same S2s and swirled it in a circle so that the contact surfaces are uneven. No collapse, no slip. I feel a fair amount of friction. Now, bear in mind that these are barely handled, unplayed chips.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom