What low-budget details can bring a game to the next level? (1 Viewer)

Cowthulhu

High Hand
Reaction score
Hey all - what are some small things I can do to bring a home game to the next level? For instance, having plaques for high demoninations, a bit of LED lighting here and there...

Not sure what you had now, but having Good Plastic Playing Card and A Poker Mat are 2 cheap budget things to upgrade if you had nothing

Bomb Pot Button, Mixed Game Cards etc are good budget choices too

$100 plaques rock

Attachments

• ben12.jpg
    ben12.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 121
We have no idea what your starting point is.
For the thousands and thousands of dollars a lot of people here spend on chips, only to play on some mat on the kitchen table, I’d say an $800 poker table is an inexpensive upgrade.

Make sure you have good lighting. If the over head lighting is lacking get some tall lamps to put near the table.

Plastic cards are a must. Some kind of playing surface that is not just a dining room table. The table is fine as long as it has a mat of some kind. Use cut cards.

Hot dogs weekly every game can get old, provide some chips, some sweets, and vary a menu a little. Grab a bag of frozen crock pot meal from the store, super easy.

Beyond the 'Poker Accessories' I try to have 2 or 3 candles burning, no strong scents and some appropriate volume level music in the background.
A chess board
I'm wanting to make a custom style game 'Finishline' a horse race game.
TV typically on sports

Lots of good suggestions made already; I’ll echo the decent lighting, good plastic cards, and quality mat (if needed) suggestions as “cheap” options. Also a big fan of plaques.

This would only be a benefit at @OfficerLovejoy ’s games, based on home game pics I’ve seen across the forum.
He seems to have regular Hotties ;)
and its a great contrast to his table felt and bright chips!

Thanks all for the feedback! Here's what I've got, or am planning to add thanks to this thread:

Poker table
Nice button
Racks
Plaques
Candy/Chips ready to go (maybe we could doordash some sushi?)
A drink or two per person ready to go
Cut card
Plastic cards
Plenty of light
Music
A candle or two
Some rules authority and exception handling authority (either written by me, or ideally an existing website)

What do you mean by custom cut cards? Like - custom designed by me? Or just dedicated, blank plastic cut cards?

Any cut cards will do to start....but maybe down the road you would want to do some cool artsy ones. Just hang around here and you will see them pop up from time to time.

Do not allow players to wear tank tops, especially in the summer

well u can get a dealer for 20/hr plus tips but i can't say whether that is an inexpensive upgrade for you. in my low limit games i deal and play because it helps make the game go faster and smoother, and i'm teaching ppl a lot of poker basics, but it's a lot of work.

well u can get a dealer for 20/hr plus tips but i can't say whether that is an inexpensive upgrade for you. in my low limit games i deal and play because it helps make the game go faster and smoother, and i'm teaching ppl a lot of poker basics, but it's a lot of work.
I was considering that, but at my stakes (.5/.5) the tips wouldn't come out very good. Additionally, I believe that having a dealer make a profit without playing would make my game illegal in my state (CO), and going to jail is -EV :p

I recently bought these cards from the poker store and they'll send you cut cards appropriate sized. Not custom but they are fun

20220310_142448.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom