What is your opinion about four-color decks? (2 Viewers)

I would actually want to test 4-color cards live but they seem to be a rarity in Europe (or then I just don't know how to use Google). Not really a fan of Copag's 4 jumbo index cards which seem to be the only option in every European online store I can find. At first thought they would seem to be so much better, especially in bus poker games, to spot flushes easier. Online 4 colors work perfectly.

I always use 4-color online, but I wonder if that’s because I’m usually multi-tabling? Probably.
I’d never consider them for live holdem, but I’ll give them a shot for live Omaha games, sometime. I have a desjgn setup and I feel like they’re the only bridge jumbo 4-color deck on the market. Or at least there weren’t any bridge jumbo options available a couple of years ago, after all the modianos sold not. Not sure what the index situation is with the faded spades, but I’ve seen enough bad/stiff reviews on the 2.0s, that I’ll definitely be waiting on 3.0s, before I ever pony up for that brand.

I was thinking of doing some customs with the "best of both worlds" (so to speak).

Standard two colour on the index (jumbo).
Four colour on the graphics (all cards are face cards).

I would actually want to test 4-color cards live but they seem to be a rarity in Europe (or then I just don't know how to use Google). Not really a fan of Copag's 4 jumbo index cards which seem to be the only option in every European online store I can find. At first thought they would seem to be so much better, especially in bus poker games, to spot flushes easier. Online 4 colors work perfectly.
The best ones I have found so far... Copag also makes a two-index variant, and you can get them via eBay and their global shipping program. Not cheap for us euros, but doable, particularly if you order multiple setups:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/253545215977 (jumbo index)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/253679579824 (regular index)

They smell a little bit like burnt plastic, but the texture and flex are good enough for easy proper shuffling and handling. Artwork I've seen better, but at least the pip colors all were carefully chosen - still pretty easy to distinguish under not-so-stellar lighting.

The best ones I have found so far... Copag also makes a two-index variant, and you can get them via eBay and their global shipping program. Not cheap for us euros, but doable, particularly if you order multiple setups:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/253545215977 (jumbo index)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/253679579824 (regular index)

They smell a little bit like burnt plastic, but the texture and flex are good enough for easy proper shuffling and handling. Artwork I've seen better, but at least the pip colors all were carefully chosen - still pretty easy to distinguish under not-so-stellar lighting.

I have seen the same option before and actually would prefer those, colors seem to be very easy to distinguish, at least based on product pictures. Desjgn 4-color bridge jumbos look to be about the same. Faded Spade design somehow fascinates me but the green and blue seem to be quite a bit on the darker side.

I'm not just very keen on paying a ton for imports so I might have to wait until something else than 4-index Copags could be found from EU. Even eBay global shipping program combined with import duties seemed to almost double the sales price with 1-4 sets of cards.

I don’t care for them at all. It seems like it was invented because players were too lazy to pay attention to their cards. Quick peekers, take an extra second to see and memorize what suits you actually have! :cautious:

I don’t care for them at all. It seems like it was invented because players were too lazy to pay attention to their cards. Quick peekers, take an extra second to see and memorize what suits you actually have! :cautious:
I'm guessing you are under 45 years old.

Once those cards get fuzzy, that spade/club start to look identical. Sure, you can take a few seconds, or put on your readers to tell the difference, but that would almost certainly be a tell that your cards are both black.

I'm guessing you are under 45 years old.

Once those cards get fuzzy, that spade/club start to look identical. Sure, you can take a few seconds, or put on your readers to tell the difference, but that would almost certainly be a tell that your cards are both black.
Nope! I’m just as old! I guess it’s good for older people with bad eyesight. I wear glasses, but with a 2-second peek I know the numbers and suits of my cards. It may be easier for the elderly to just remember a single color instead of a number and a suit,too.
To each his (their) own, I guess.

Many people here like the 4C decks. The introduction of a new color palette would break the monotony of the traditional black ‘n red - a newer aesthetic for the younger (and also “experienced”) players.

4 color decks are great for those making the transition from good eyesight to poor eyesight. Of course, by the time you get to that age, you are set in your ways and don't want to change. That is why I advocate for a 4 color deck that uses red and black, but puts a 4-color background behind the index.

Not sure how it would be accepted, but I'd be willing to have 100 decks made, if I knew of a decent card maker. In my experience, MakePlayingCards.com is not decent.

Last edited:
That is why I advocate for a 4 color deck that uses red and black, but puts a 4-color background behind the index.
That would be more favorable instead of changing the suit color. Obviously the design of the face cards would have to have a harmonious color scheme with the new background colors. I’ve seen some eye-jarring color combos that would even make a blind person dizzy, and nobody wants a headache in a long stretch at the table! o_O:LOL: :laugh:

I havent found a deck that I have liked so far, but I'm willing to keep an open mind for when I finally find one i enjoy.

On most decks, the blue and greens look way too similar in my opinion. and so many of my friends hate using 4 color that it is impossible to try out something new it feels like.

If i found a deck that the entire background was the color like uno cards, maybe I could get some people to like them. On that note however, the ones that I have found so far fall short, as the broadway cards do not continue the theme and look different than the numbered cards.

Not sure how it would be accepted, but I'd be willing to have 100 decks made, if I knew of a decent card maker. In my experience, MakePlayingCards.com is not decent.
Their plastic cards definitely are complete garbage, I can confirm this.

Maybe linen-textured paper is halfway usable for a test run? It'd be just to gauge interest and collect player feedback after all, so it wouldn't be forever, making the usual argument that paper cards don't last very long moot.

With that sort of data, perhaps a proper playing card maker would be willing to do them on plastic.

If i found a deck that the entire background was the color like uno cards, maybe I could get some people to like them. On that note however, the ones that I have found so far fall short, as the broadway cards do not continue the theme and look different than the numbered cards.
I once tried to replicate one of the standard 4-color deck from PokerStars online, where the cards are colored edge to edge, on physical cards. No bueno. The color quickly scratches off around the edges and the cards then look terrible. But with a white border which would prevent it, that particular design would look terrible in the first place.

Now if you really went for the UNO design... super bright colors AND the white border AND the super bold indices... design-wise it could work (consistency), but I'm not sure if I would want to play with a deck that looks like UNO.

No good - poker players dont like them. The light faded wecondary colors are more irritating than helpful and ive seen guys try to get them going in multiple games - one or two guys will think they are super cool and everyone else will hate them.

I can respect the creativity, but they’re not for me.

I don't mind a 4 color deck and sometimes use them in my home games. I only have 1 person in my monthly game that mentions something about the deck every time he plays but I think he's just trolling. Have a few sets of 4 and 2 color and could easily alternate.

I find them helpful. Flush is easy to identify. Only got Copag 4 color but i have ordered Faded Spade.

Huge fan of them, but I keep 2-color decks around for home games just to keep my options flexible. I wish more card companies made 4-color decks; I would die for some 4-color KEM cards.

My group has been using the Desijn 4-color decks for a good while now. We all love them. The 4 colors with the jumbo index almost eliminates misreading. I don't understand how people say they can't see a JUMBO size index from more than arms reach. There is also plenty of contrast with the blue/diamonds and green/clubs. Put your damn glasses on, grandpa.

That being said, Desijn makes the best cards in any variation. We will not use anything else.

Too many colors. I'll leave the colors for the chips. Red and black are aesthetically better for me. 4 colors doing too much. I never get confused of suits so the colors really don't help me. Red and black are nice and bold with high contrast against the white background.

Last edited:
My group has been using the Desijn 4-color decks for a good while now. We all love them. The 4 colors with the jumbo index almost eliminates misreading. I don't understand how people say they can't see a JUMBO size index from more than arms reach. There is also plenty of contrast with the blue/diamonds and green/clubs. Put your damn glasses on, grandpa.

That being said, Desijn makes the best cards in any variation. We will not use anything else.

Spell check. Desjgn

I do not mind 4 colors, it's the palette that bothers me...
I would prefer yellow instead of green...

You should try a Desjgn setup!
Thanks for the suggestion. Due to the high overall cost of shipping plus import taxes applied from the U.S. to Europe, i was forced to make a choice between specific Desjgn and Faded Spade setups to order. I went for 2 Regular Index Desjgn sets, and i was very pleased with them. I will give the 4 colour cersion a try in the future.

I tried to introduce a 4 color deck to a game a few months ago and got roasted. People hated them.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom