What is your favorite Monopoly™ game piece? (1 Viewer)

Monopoly story…played a couple years back with my wife’s sisters family. While trades were legal, no one traded. Not with me, not with each other, none. We just went round and round the board.

A couple hours, the tilt started to set in and I was proposing more and more lopsided trades (in favor of the other person). To the point like give me a 3rd railroad, I’ll complete your Fuschia monopoly. Nope. I quit.

A couple hours later they called it a draw
Same here I don’t play anymore at all

Me: I’ll give you Park place and boardwalk with hotels on them for Baltic avenue. And I’ll throw in $200 cash

Opponents: nah, your up to something, I’m going to take the $60 teds offering.

Normally futures and derivatives are banned, but allowing those seems like a very interesting home game if the group is savvy. @DrStrange is it worth playing?

We played monopoly for cash in business school. $150 buy in for $1,500 in monopoly money, winner takes all. It was an extra credit project for a class.

There are a lot of things possible in monopoly with some creative rule interpretation. We were allowed to make DEALs - things like I'll sell you my railroad, the price is $50 plus a quarter of all rents in the future plus free rides when I land on my previous property. But there aren't courts, the deals are gentlemen's arrangements. Plus going broke can derail a deal.

One of the things we learned is trust can be hard to obtain and easy to lose. There was one guy that was really slimy, but effective at winning. I wouldn't lend him a nickel or even agree to split the check at What-a-Burger. But he did go on to make hundreds of millions of dollars. ( and I still think he would screw you out of a dollar if given the chance )

Those were pretty interesting games.

As for favorite pieces, the car was my choice. But I had a silver nickel that I would use if allowed to.

DrStrange

I forwarded this to my son to see if he would be interested in adapting this the next time we have a family game.

I thought the game was interesting. The classes participating were an advanced real estate, deal structuring in finance and second year entrepreneurship. Out of the 30ish people in the classes maybe ten played in at least one game. I played three times. < keeping in mind this was 40 years ago and old people's memories are not always good >

One of the key point was an understanding how much "wild west" there is in the business community. Illegal is merely a matter of opinion. Ethics are for suckers as we learned from how the games played out. Cheating carried little penalty. It was up to the players to look out for their own interests. Majority generally ruled.

A smart player takes good notes. Not only of his/her deals but other players deals. You could stir up trouble by inciting the other players. In today's era of disinformation I expect some really outlandish things could happen.

Expect hard feelings if played for serious money. $150 risked to win $600 in 1980 is something like $500 risked to win $2,000 today.

We also had to write a paper applying the experiences in the monopoly game to practical things in the class we were taking. The paper / monopoly game could be used to replace one other graded test / paper in the class except for the final exam.

It definitely made you think outside the box -=- DrStrange

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom