What is the worst/most offensive word? (1 Viewer)

What is the worst/most offensive word?

• "C*nt"

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Not "c*nt" - respond in thread, but use asterisks because we are children

Votes: 13 68.4%

• Total voters

jbutler

Royal Flush
Reaction score
Spoiler alert: in case you're dumb as a bag of dicks and couldn't tell from the subject, this thread might have naughty words in it. If you are opposed to this, PM me and I will send you a form you can submit to be compensated the precise value of your hurt feelings.

So at this past game at Bergman's, we engaged in quite a bit of name-calling because we are mature adults who understand how to effectively communicate our feelings. A discussion arose as to which of all the naughty words is the most offensive. This discussion may or may not have begun after I called someone a c*nt.

There was also a sub-discussion concerning the words we could safely say in the presence of our wives without being shunned, but that can be left for another time. Here, let's concern ourselves with determining whether "c*nt" is the most offensive word and, if not, what the most offensive word might be.

So obviously a poll is in order. I'll go ahead and stake out my position that the worst/most offensive word is the n-word (not "nit"). I could probably be convinced that it is on equal footing with other racial/ethnic/religious slurs, but the n-word itself has a certain visceral quality that takes it over the top for me.

In case you need a jumping off point, I do know one guy who spent a significant amount of time thinking about this question:

The c-bomb is one of my favorites to use, but I'm a fan of Deadwood so that kinda fits. My wife was very against this word, but has warmed up to it over the years (exposure takes the bite off I suppose)

I'm not one who is easily offended, so I don't think I'm the right person to answer this question. I guess my argument would be that it's highly subjective and contextual.

cztucxu.gif

I think the fact that you say n-word instead of the actual word, but say c*nt and not c-word, is evidence enough that it is the most offensive.

I think the fact that you say n-word instead of the actual word, but say c*nt and not c-word, is evidence enough that it is the most offensive.

i definitely agree, but that's sort of my bias. there were people at berg's game who said "c-word" when debating the issue, so i know that there are plenty out there who won't even say the word in the context of the discussion.

I think racial slurs are the worst followed closely by sexual orientation slurs. The seven words you can't say on TV are way below those... I say those in the workplace.

For me, I find racial humor hilarious, however, it's all contextual. If racial slurs are used in a manner that is meant with hatred behind it, obviously I find that highly offensive. But if it's Chris Rock or a comedian or show/movie using race in a manner that is not meant in a way that is filled with hatred, I don't mind it.

Interesting question to discuss, I don't think there's an absolute answer - it's context dependent.

C*nt is pretty uniformly offensive. N*gg*r is more deeply offensive when said by most people, but is socially acceptable within particular groups.

For me, in a particular situation, the most offensive word can be, "CL*SED."

For general offensiveness, though, it's hard to beat *ncl* f*ck*r.

For me, I find racial humor hilarious, however, it's all contextual. If racial slurs are used in a manner that is meant with hatred behind it, obviously I find that highly offensive. But if it's Chris Rock or a comedian or show/movie using race in a manner that is not meant in a way that is filled with hatred, I don't mind it.

I completely agree. Chris Rock is one of my favorite comedians. I loved the Chappelle show... I too hate the use of racial terms when backed by hatred.

Last edited:
The n-word is a racist term whereas c*nt is used universally without discrimination toward race, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

Therefore c*nt gets my vote.

The n-word is a racist term whereas c*nt is used universally without discrimination toward race, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

Therefore c*nt gets my vote.

I'm sure there are women who would disagree on the use of the c-bomb. And I'm sure there are white kids who've been called the n-word by black people

I don't think any word is offensive, i have probably said, or been called everything at some point.

It is offensive to me when someone doesn't shower for days and doesn't wear deodorant and sits next to me at the poker table. Or when men beat women or children

I never understood how f*ck came to be a bad word... I enjoy it. If someone calls me a f*cking d*ck, I'm like: I wish it was right now, but I'm at work and it somehow seems inappropriate. Someone says "Fuck me" I'm grateful for the offer, though I might not take them up on it.

Interestingly in Dutch we use diseases as curse words a lot (in addition to gender specific body parts, self gratification, and invoking the wrath of the Lord). Cancer, cholera, typhoid and plague are common forms of expression in Holland when something doesn't turn out exactly how you had hoped.

Personally I detest racial slurs, though if it's okay when used within the racial group, you really shouldn't get angry if someone outside the group uses it. Provided of course that no malice was intended.

And language evolves. F*ck was once considered a euphemism, but became vulgar over time. Who knows what words will become vulgar in the future. Negroes became Blacks, Blacks became African Americans, and I have no idea when it will sink in that describing a group to differentiate them outside of biological racial classification is inherently wrong. No matter what words you use.

I'm trying real hard to think of a single word that is singularly offensive on its own to me. I use c*nt every so often and it used to make my wife leave the room now she just chews my ass for it and moves on (I have never called her one FWIW). I don't find n*gg*r to be any more offensive than any other racial/sexual slur, or calling a police officer a pig, my biggest question is why should it be singled out from the rest. One could argue that it is used with reckless abandon amongst/within the race that it is supposed to degrade more so than any other race/racial slur combination, therefore it could argued be more acceptable than any other.

I would've said jizz juggling knob gobbler, but that's four words, not one.

I'm trying real hard to think of a single word that is singularly offensive on its own to me. I use c*nt every so often and it used to make my wife leave the room now she just chews my ass for it and moves on (I have never called her one FWIW). I don't find n*gg*r to be any more offensive than any other racial/sexual slur, or calling a police officer a pig, my biggest question is why should it be singled out from the rest. One could argue that it is used with reckless abandon amongst/within the race that it is supposed to degrade more so than any other race/racial slur combination, therefore it could argued be more acceptable than any other.

the reason racial/ethnic/religious/orientation slurs are perceived as worse that something like "pig", for instance, is that they attempt to denigrate an individual or class of individuals on the basis of an immutable characteristic, a characteristic intrinsic to an individual over which the he/she has no control*. use of the term implies that the individual in question is inferior on the basis of a characteristic which he/she cannot change.

the reason the n-word itself is sometimes perceived as the most offensive of these types of slurs - at least in the US - is due to the awareness of the reprehensible history of the treatment of blacks in the US. speaking for myself, for someone to know the history and to still use the term is indicative of extreme callousness. the callousness exhibited rather than the word itself is what is offensive.

as for whether it is "more acceptable" based on the use of the term by black people themselves, i suppose that can be your judgment. many people will find that to be an ignorant position and will think less of you for it. i heard this dyanmic addressed recently in the context of the word "tranny". someone took offense at being told he couldn't say "tranny" anymore. another responded that he could say it all he wanted, but odds are he's going to end up hanging around exclusively with people who think it's acceptable to say "tranny". seems to me to be a pretty way to think about it.

*debatable as to religion, but in that context it is used the vast, vast majority of the time with relation to the religion in which one is born, not the one chosen by the individual

I think South Park addressed this sort of thing well in the episode where they tackled the word "fag" and Harley riders

To me it's all about context, rather than the actual word itself.

The c-word will get a lot of negative reactions so I never use it.

For some reason the ladies don't like when I use "bookaki".

For some reason the ladies don't like when I use "bookaki".

when you use it in words or in practice?

must be in practice because evidently you've never had to google it to enjoy it.

Could be anything... depends on who/what you perceive yourself to be and what offends you. "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can never hurt me". At my cash game, very creative terms are hurled as insults. I find them funny even though, as a "civilized" person, I shouldn't :oops:.

"c*nt" is used quite commonly in the UK, where it doesn't carry nearly the stigma attached to it in the US.

It's all so personal. I once knew a woman who'd absolutely fly off the handle at being called a bitch.

C*nt is used as a term of endearment in Oz.

"Hey c*nt how was your day?"

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom