What is the total number of Big Blinds in play at your home games? (1 Viewer)

What is the total number of Big Blinds in play at your home game?

• Less than 1,000 BB

Votes: 8 13.3%
  • 1,001 to 1,500 BB

Votes: 3 5.0%
  • 1,501 to 2,000 BB

Votes: 13 21.7%
  • 2,001 to 2,500 BB

Votes: 11 18.3%
  • 2,501 to 3,000 BB

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • 3,001 to 4,000 BB

Votes: 12 20.0%
  • 4,001 to 5,000 BB

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • More than 5,000 BB

Votes: 7 11.7%

• Total voters

ChaosRock

4 of a Kind
Supporter
Reaction score
A few weeks back I wrote a large-ish post on cash set sizes for NL or PL games. I forgot where. I basically laid out factors that, imo, impact number of chips, denoms, etc.

One important factor is the maximum number of big blinds per table the host has in play during the night, assuming the most frequently hosted stakes.

I'm sure that varies somewhat amongst us so I'm curious what the population distribution is.

In my case, I think that number is around 3,500 big blinds give or take. Buy-ins of 200BB with a little more than that in re-buys. With half-stack matching, the number goes up a bit. I don't particularly care for more than 8 players per table so that's what I'm using for the calculation. I'm sure some don't mind 10 players per table.

So which do you guys think is your ballpark number?

Last edited:
I would say my game borders on 3000 bbs (a little dependent on who is in attendance lol)

I would say my game borders on 3000 bbs (a little dependent on who is in attendance lol)

25¢/50¢ game with $100 buyin means every starts with 200 BBs. That's 1400-1600 at the start of the night. Do you really only get 7-8 rebuys (including top offs)? I was thinking it would be a bit higher, @detroitdad, but you run the bank, so you would know better than I...

25¢/50¢ game with $100 buyin means every starts with 200 BBs. That's 1400-1600 at the start of the night. Do you really only get 7-8 rebuys (including top offs)? I was thinking it would be a bit higher, @detroitdad, but you run the bank, so you would know better than I...

Don’t want to answer for Bill but I think so. The stack matching helps that as well.

You’re usually good for at least 3 re-buys yourself! LOL!! j/k

Last edited:
Yeah, this is a tough question because attendance varies widely, at least pre covids. But I figure at least 1500BB most nights. That's 6 players in for an average of 250BB's or a little more than 2 buy ins each in my usual game.

14,000 BBs feels normal

(edit: in a .25/.50 game)

2nd edit: Not my game, just lucky enough to have a seat at the table, Now im thinking of it, is this the poker version of "Bring a shmuck to dinner" ? oh fuck me. it is.

Last edited:
Usual buy in is 100BB's. About half the players generally rebuy and/or add on throughout the night. Usually ends up a little over 1000 BB on the night for a 5 or 6 handed cash game.

Is there a way to make votes not publicly visible? I’m sure many wouldn’t want the general public to know how big their games play for safety reasons.

Deep stack poker is FUN!!

Absolutely the best feeling is late night short handed 4 or 5 players all deep stack.

Thats when the poker magic is real !

Absolutely the best feeling is late night short handed 4 or 5 players all deep stack.

Thats when the poker magic is real !
That’s when you pray to the Lord of Degen ...

Is there a way to make votes not publicly visible? I’m sure many wouldn’t want the general public to know how big their games play for safety reasons.

Changed.

Although number of BB does not necessarily give away the size of the game.

Last edited:
Wait, you know how it goes in the movies ... I see your 2016 Chevy Malibu and raise you a 2018 Ford F-150!
@Josh Kifer - Im all in with a 1981 BMW 320i.....

@Hornet - I call.... 400 bucks... I have a pair of threes.

@Josh Kifer - Shit!

tu8y616lzkj51.jpg

We play $1/1 and have $8k or so on average. Occasionally we will $10k or more, but not often. So we are always above 5k BB, but we use a smaller BB so it is a little skewed.

Changed.

Although number of BB does not necessarily give away the size of the game.

awwww, I liked it visible.

The "average" is 7 to 8 re buys a night. 10 re buys isn't uncommon. I think the most re buys in one game was 15. That was when John was playing and would routinely buy in 5 times.

If I recall correctly, last year when I hosted in April, we averaged about 400bb per player (two full buy ins). I can't recall how many players we had, 8-10 I believe. So 3200-4000bb (we had $2k on the table).

Since then I usually build my cash sets to accommodate a minimum of three full buy ins. Which seems pretty safe in our group for the most part.

Here's mine

Two tables - full ring holdem and 7max circus

Initial - 200bb each for NLHE and 400bb each for Circus - total 4800bb

Probably 8-12 rebuys - ~3000 bb

So I'd guess anywhere from 7500 to 10k bb in play

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom