What is the origin story/inspiration for your poker room/club/league name? (1 Viewer)

I’m new here but have been browsing the forums for more than a healthy amount of time. Some of my favourite posts are those that show custom tables/chips and people having a great time. In fact, these types of threads are pushing me towards getting a custom set of chips (I haven’t decided yet!).

In order to get a proper custom set, I need to come up with the perfect name, which brings my question: how did you come up with the name for your poker group/club/league/etc? If there’s a story, even better!
Best advice is don't force it and don't pick something you might not like in 5 years (like an inside joke with your current players - even sports teams move cities, change colors, etc.) It's a big commitment with all the chips/felts/signs/etc.

Mine was based my kids learning to play poker and doing some family history stuff, wanted to set a theme that would rep the family and continue for future generations- hence "Heritage Club" with chips themed with the country flags of where various parts of our families trace their roots.

In order to get a proper custom set, I need to come up with the perfect name, which brings my question: how did you come up with the name for your poker group/club/league/etc? If there’s a story, even better!

Here's a great thread with multiple pages from December 2020 on the same subject.

Some good stuff, including chips and table pr0n, in there.

Reactions: khp
Best advice is don't force it and don't pick something you might not like in 5 years (like an inside joke with your current players - even sports teams move cities, change colors, etc.) It's a big commitment with all the chips/felts/signs/etc.

Mine was based my kids learning to play poker and doing some family history stuff, wanted to set a theme that would rep the family and continue for future generations- hence "Heritage Club" with chips themed with the country flags of where various parts of our families trace their roots.
yea, totally agree! At the moment, my custom chips don’t have a name, just a theme/idea and a denomination
Here's a great thread with multiple pages from December 2020 on the same subject.

Some good stuff, including chips and table pr0n, in there.
GREAT thread. Thanks for posting it

I am not a fan of Vanilla Ice (other than his DIY/HGTV show) so what better theme to have than the Ice Ice Arcade and Poker Room to celebrate a recording artist whose music you don't like :)

Chips I did not theme and kept them original (Vegas house mold cash set and a WPS tourney set). I couldn't bring myself to make Vanilla Ice custom labels

Yes, the bathroom is fully themed. The soap smells like vanilla too. The walls are glacier ice blue. Trophies given out for tournaments are a shard of ice with Vanilla Ice on the logo (changes based on the season and event).

ice1.jpgice2.jpgVice4.jpgVice5.jpgiceice1trophy.jpegcovid_tourney.jpg

I named it after the college apartment I started hosting in with a bunch of friends. We've all moved out because graduation, jobs, covid. But really fond memories of playing on folding table with a bedsheet over it, dice chips, and paper bicycle cards.

Link to my table :)

We used to play most of our games at my friend's house since my place was too small. We were playing often enough that I bought a set of cheap diamond chips and a piece of scrap billiard cloth so we didn't need to play with quarters on the hard table top. Later we upgraded to dice chips.

When it came time that I wanted a nice set I was trying to think of a fun name for them. My friend had an infinity tattoo so I thought about incorporating it, plus I like math. :) So at some point I came up with the idea of hollowing out two of the clover leaves on the Club symbol to make an infinity symbol. I've stuck with it ever since.

I wanted to start a group that would work to improve each other’s game and hopefully help when playing outside our regular meet up. Work is referred to as the grindstone, grindstone is used to sharpen tools and someone that plays for a living is a grinder so I thought it all kinda tied in nicely.

I designed the original logo with the symbolism of playing and making decisions without emotion hence why there is no heart. Although I’m working on a new logo that has a little more of a classy feel to it and incorporating a donkey because it’s become a bit of a running (unoriginal)joke about our play

Attachments

• F6750C9E-852E-442D-8C19-77A25EF31746.png
    F6750C9E-852E-442D-8C19-77A25EF31746.png
    98.5 KB · Views: 42

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom