What is the name of this game? (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I played a few rounds of a poker game tonight with an older lady at the bar. She didn’t remember the name but she taught me well.

We each got five cards faced up, they were essentially piles of cards that we’d use to make our best five hands.

We draw a card in turns, and all the piles had to equal the same amount of cards before you could stack on the same pile again.

I’m not the best at explaining and Google couldn’t help. I know someone on here can decipher what I’m saying and help out lol

Were there any wild cards? That might help narrow it down.

I knew some guys who used to play something much like that before a tournament, to kill time, for like $1 per hand. (So max $5 per deal.) But I never heard them give it a name.

0D534EAC-DD6A-4031-8E95-87EED4DCB595.jpeg
68943181-D25E-49B5-BC9F-8C3B30C5DA49.jpeg
9A4CE2AA-265E-4AB8-AEAE-7A12D3014B6B.jpeg

Is there any betting?

If there's betting, meaning someone can bet and the other person must raise, call, or fold, then it's somewhat similar to (but not the same as) Ten Card Regrets.

If there's wagering instead of betting, meaning whoever wins the hand wins a fixed amount with no opportunity to raise the stakes and no opportunity to fold, then it's somewhat similar to (but not the same as) Open Face Chinese Poker.

I haven't run across this specific game, though.

Note that without betting (specifically - raising the stakes and folding, which is also called vying) then it's not truly a form of poker. Likewise, if all the cards are exposed and none are kept secret while betting, then it's not truly a form of poker.

I've always called this Fives. Except I played it that each player was dealt 5 cards to start. Then on your turn you draw a card and play a card from your hand to one of 4 piles. In the end you have five 5 card poker hands, 4 on board and one in hand. After one draw, instead of playing a card, you may discard one. But this is only done once each game.

Bro that actually sounds really good! Pretty similar to how it was played too just no draws and no face down cards
There is also a 3 card version played with jokers. You have 9 spots to play to and are making 3 card poker hands. 5 out of 9, or 3 adjacent winning hands wins. I don't remember how the rankings went in that version though.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom