What is it called when you do this with your chips? (1 Viewer)

Carnth

Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
I just got another rack of Jack Cincy 2s and started to arrange them in the rack.
It was kind of cathartic while I was just sitting there putting them patterns. Making order out of chaos.

But what is it called when you do this with your chips? It's got to have a name?
Chip arranging? Chip ordering? Chip Patterning? Chip grooming?

20211116_155423.jpg

You mean to say, you've never done this? Not even while in a game?
While in a game yes. I actually did do it one time in a rack and it has been helpful as I’ve been murdering the chips so I know which chips I haven’t murdered.

You mean to say, you've never done this? Not even while in a game?
Oh of course - who hasn’t? But to the OP’s extreme…? You gotta be bored / have free time.

I’m not judging. It’s awesome, and I’ve done it. When bored.

This has been a very insightful and interesting thread.

I originally just wanted to know if there was an official name for arranging chips in a pattern.
But then something else happened.

The forum divided into two groups of people.
Those that found the arrangement I made like some kind of work of art. "Beautiful."
And some people found it "a waste of time."

And that's what I think is interesting.
If someone arranged paint on a canvas in a similar fashion, would it still be called "a waste of time" by those same people? Or would they call it "someone enjoying a hobby."

I don't know, maybe. But I think it's an interesting thought.

We all enjoy and do stuff that is a waste of time. We all need the catharsis gained by downtime.
I just happened to take a pic and show you what I did in my downtime.
I mean, it's not like anyone on this forum wastes time tracking down the exact chip(s) they want so their friends could give two sh#ts about it.
We don't constantly check the classifieds, and auction sections. And we sure don't have a "watch" on Jim to see if he's posting anything new. ;)

Anyway.... I guess no one knows what this chip pattern thing is called. I've seen it done by others on this forum and decided to give it a shot.

I'm glad a few people found it interesting.
Should I have posted this in another topic on this forum?
I saw the threads were you can post pics of you sets, unboxing, and other places to show if your chip-babies. But since I didn't know what this chip arranging was called, I didn't know where to post it.

It's actually quite beautiful, and fun to do. I'm certain any negativity (including my own!) was meant in jest and in a spirit of camaraderie. We are all chipping brothers (and sisters) here!

I do like it. From now on alignment of chips shall thus be know as Chip Carnth.

Is that better?:)

I'm certain any negativity (including my own!) was meant in jest and in a spirit of camaraderie.
I'm a newer member here. I don't completely understand the overall vibe on this forum. My post on the introductions topic was well received and the established members there were so welcoming!
And I originally thought the same thing too! "They're just joking." After the first one, I was like "haha, yeah... Ocd. Funny" you can even see my "haha" reaction to that post.

Then the second ribbing came in. And my smile got smaller.
Then the third, and fourth dig came. And I was wondering to myself "hmm, maybe it was a mistake to post."
Then the fifth, sixth, seventh digs ... and I believed it.

Yeah, I took it personally, but the other half of the people who genuinely appreciated my little 15 minute creation made it worth it. So "thank you" kind sirs/ma'ams.

I do like it. From now on alignment of chips shall thus be know as Chip Carnth.

Is that better?:)

giphy.webp

Don’t be such a baby.

Maybe when you’re around a little longer you’ll realize that you have to have a sense of humor with this addiction or you’ll go crazy. 98% of the chippers have done that with their chips. There are some awesome pics of extravagant towers that took much longer than those couple of racks. It’s likely nothing personal.

I'm a newer member here. I don't completely understand the overall vibe on this forum. My post on the introductions topic was well received and the established members there were so welcoming!
And I originally thought the same thing too! "They're just joking." After the first one, I was like "haha, yeah... Ocd. Funny" you can even see my "haha" reaction to that post.

Everyone on this forum is engaged in a completely absurd hobby. We spend ridiculous amounts of money on things no normal person cares about. We're driven to collect these meaningless objects in quantities far exceeding our practical needs, and we recognize this obsession even as we contemplate when we might abandon it while simultaneously continuing it. Accordingly, we engage in self-deprecating humor as a way of bonding and affirming our shared group identity as people who truly do appreciate and enjoy this odd hobby of ours.

So by ribbing you over an expression of your enthusiasm for poker chips, for playing with them and arranging them aesthetically, what's really happening is that the forum is a) ribbing themselves over that same enthusiasm, b) affirming their shared identity, and c) welcoming you into their ranks.

It's hard for a newbie to see that, of course, so it's understandable and regrettable that you didn't appreciate it in the spirit in which it was intended.

Making patterns like that is cool, is fun, is appreciated by the folks here, and as far as I know doesn't have a name.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom