What is an unpopular or uncommon strategy viewpoint that you have? (1 Viewer)

JMC9389

Royal Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
This should prompt some interesting discussion.

I'll start by saying that, for the most part, a starting hand of ace/king offsuit, unless in late position, is very overvalued by lots of rec players and pros alike, and is played like a hand that has a lot more in equity than it actually has by lots of players regardless of experience. Flame away!

I’ll raise preflop with A4 (drunken aces) from any position. Often times, I’ll play any suited ace this way too. I “feel” that I can get away from it on the flop, even with an ace out. But I “feel” that it helps mix up my game and make me less predictable when I’m usually TAG.

I know it’s not sound strategy. But it seems net neutral.

You can have a balanced range betting 5% pot and 10% pot in NLHE. Many consider this bet sizing noobish.

I love playing sick hands that have pot odds and statistical draws where in "poker physic's" I can convince myself I am ahead with draws and play styles.

one scheme is this when hosting new players I give out tournament stacks light on the far right......Why? lots of low value chips can lead to a lot more limping or low level bets etc... with new players. This effect does not work as well with more experienced players. A host can at least set up starting stacks to gain a perceived edge sometimes.

1s8sBF6.jpg

One of my favorites is the "don't tap on the tank" line you always hear when someone tries to tell a fish how they *should* have played a hand, or what they did "wrong".

While it's certainly annoying to sit there and listen to someone "coaching" a fish at the table, I think it's pretty funny that people are actually worried that the fish is going to start heeding that advice and suddenly start playing better as a result. There's no shortage of poker content out there if someone actually wants to put in the effort to improve their game. The reason they're a fish to begin with is because they don't seek out that content and they think they already know best. I've never once seen a shitty player turn his game around, or any aspect of his game for that matter, because they were criticized by a stronger player.

Note - I view this as different from a group of friends playing together who enjoy talking strategy for fun after a hand, or wondering how they could/should have played it differently in hindsight. Some people don't like these discussions either, but to me they're not the same as the above.

One of my favorites is the "don't tap on the tank" line you always hear when someone tries to tell a fish how they *should* have played a hand, or what they did "wrong".

While it's certainly annoying to sit there and listen to someone "coaching" a fish at the table, I think it's pretty funny that people are actually worried that the fish is going to start heeding that advice and suddenly start playing better as a result. There's no shortage of poker content out there if someone actually wants to put in the effort to improve their game. The reason they're a fish to begin with is because they don't seek out that content and they think they already know best. I've never once seen a shitty player turn his game around, or any aspect of his game for that matter, because they were criticized by a stronger player.

Note - I view this as different from a group of friends playing together who enjoy talking strategy for fun after a hand, or wondering how they could/should have played it differently in hindsight. Some people don't like these discussions either, but to me they're not the same as the above.
Holy SH$T Travis! Did I just agree with two of your posts in a row? :unsure: :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: What in the Hell is the world coming to?:ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
No problem showing hands and I love when players “tap on the glass.”

Holy SH$T Travis! Did I just agree with two of your posts in a row? :unsure: :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: What in the Hell is the world coming to?:ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
No problem showing hands and I love when players “tap on the glass.”
No problem with that either from a strategic point of view but it can be some pretty cringe worthy stuff since the ”better player” critizing/giving advice is usually not a whole lot better at poker than the fish.

This should prompt some interesting discussion.

I'll start by saying that, for the most part, a starting hand of ace/king offsuit, unless in late position, is very overvalued by lots of rec players and pros alike, and is played like a hand that has a lot more in equity than it actually has by lots of players regardless of experience. Flame away!
Agree with this 100%.

My uncommon viewpoint is that gut instinct and 'feel' are more important and effective than GTO.

In home games with six or fewer players, I play any pocket pairs like aces. Betting heavy, early and often. Unless I see a tight player hanging tough, then I’ll slow down with smaller pairs that don’t improve.

I’ll split two face cards if the dealer is showing a 6. You want to get as much money on the table when you have the known advantage I figure.
Related to this a little, but not because of just this, I also count the fives instead of the aces or 10’s during the game. The fives make the difference when the dealers card is 2-6. When the dealers card is anything else regular strategy is known.

I’ll say though, I’ve seen more than once a brand new fishy player with deep pockets comes into an established home game and gets berated by a regular for an idiotic call. The whale usually doesn’t come back. You should want that guy to think he’s Phil freaking Ivey so you can take his money in the long run. That’s not even to mention just the dogma of not being a dickhead

Agreed but you forgot to put the word “spread” in front of limit. ;)
"spread" introduces interpretation that the average poker player does not need. Check or bet, sir. No extra thinking needed!
(Unless you want to do the $1 bet 1$ raise, $1 reraise, $10 to cap it) That's next level fish stuff right there!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom