What exhausts you more - long hours, or stiff competition? (1 Viewer)

upNdown

Royal Flush
Reaction score
I would guess most people would say a shorter session against good players is more difficult than a longer session against recs, but I'm not sure - that's why I'm asking.

My experience is mostly tournaments, mostly single day tournaments, mostly in the NH cardrooms, where the competition isn't particularly good, with less play at places like Encore Boston, Foxwoods, and Mohegan sun, where the competition is a little stronger. I can play a MTT in NH, and not even start to feel fatigue until maybe the 8th hour? Similarly, a weekday, low-buyin tournament at foxwoods - the competition is definitely a little stronger, but still, it isn't exhausting. And of course, I've played home games for quarters that go until the sun rises - like 9-10 hours, but that "up all night" tired isn't what I'm talking about.
I'll never forget a two-day, multi-flight tournament I played at Mohegan sun - the competition was by far the best I'd ever faced. There was never a limped pot, and the majority of pots were 3-bet preflop - you know, poker how it's supposed to be played? It was nothing I couldn't handle; I've certainly watched enough professional play to know what was going on, and what I was doing, but it was definitely far more intense than what I was used to. One of those "if you can't spot the fish in the first 30 minutes" situations - there weren't many fish.
Anyway, the flight only lasted about 6 hours I think. Maybe 7. And I did manage to bag. But by the time we bagged, I could barely talk. It wasn't late - maybe midnight or one, and we'd had ample breaks. But that intense competition - can't take a hand off, every street is important, every single action matters - like I said, it was more than I was used to, and it wore me out hard.
Is that how most people feel - that intense competition is more draining than long hours?
It certainly gives me more appreciation for guys like Negreanu and Deeb, who chase player of the year at the WSOP, so they're playing both long hours AND strong competition, for weeks and weeks.

1 hour of tournament feels like legit 6-8 hours of cash. If I go deep in a tourney and it’s more than 4 hours it just feels like work, hardly enjoyable at all, really.

I don’t really get exhausted due to tough players or long hours. It’s more of a problem if I’m uncomfortable for some reason (don’t like the players at my table, physically not relaxed, etc).

Games matter too. Circus games fly by, NLE I can get into a grind, something like PLO or LHE and every hour feels like 2-3 hrs.

Funny how in the right circumstances a 12 hour cash session feels like 4 hours.

Uncle Doyle wrote, years ago, that if you are over 50, your brain can't take much punishment, either in the form of intensity or duration.
I am over 50 now. It's utterly unbelievable this has happened to me.

Long hours is worse than stiff competition. Stiff competition increases the enjoyment factor for me and motivates me to keep fighting. Long hours and I get bored and start thinking of other things I could be doing.

Long hours is worse than stiff competition. Stiff competition increases the enjoyment factor for me and motivates me to keep fighting. Long hours and I get bored and start thinking of other things I could be doing.
Sure. But this is manageable if playing online.
You sit off for 5-7 minutes to get a BJ by the wife or GF.
If none of these are available or willing, you can still masturbate.
Then, you return to the table, rejuvenated.:):)

Sure. But this is manageable if playing online.
You sit off for 5-7 minutes to get a BJ by the wife or GF.
If none of these are available or willing, you can still masturbate.
Then, you return to the table, rejuvenated.:):)
Man, I was going to try to work in a "long" and "stiff" line (fodder for the out-of-context thread) but you just counterfeited me.

NO BEGGING!:)
If she doesn't like it, why offer it to her and be with her anyway????:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Happy marriages occur only in cultures where men are adored by women and vice-versa (surely NOT in current modern Greece).:confused

NO BEGGING!:)
If she doesn't like it, why offer it to her and be with her anyway????:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Happy marriages occur only in cultures where men are adored by women and vice-versa (surely NOT in current modern Greece).:confused
Just a little joke. Wasn’t meant as a personal attack. Sorry if it came across that way.

Tough players is definitely a much bigger drain on energy for me. With any hobby I enjoy, I have no problem spending tons of time doing it (if comfortable enough) - poker is no different there. But if I feel like I'm fighting for my life and really taxing myself with a tough table, I can definitely burn out earlier than intended.

Age = long sessions by far, never so much the competition. Stamina was never as much of a problem when I was younger but now sitting for hours at a session everything just hurts, both physically & mentally. Ass hurts, knees & legs stiffen, shoulder ache, vision gets blurry. Around the 4-5 hour range and concentration/focus fades. Same reason I can't drive more than 3 hours at a time without needing a chance to stop, stretch & refresh.

Same reason I can't drive more than 3 hours at a time without needing a chance to stop, stretch & refresh.
You’ve got that right. Age has a way of creeping up on you. Over the summer, I drove from Boston to Philadelphia and back, in a single day. I was only in Philly for about an hour, but as I recall, with traffic, the whole trip took me about 14 hours? And I was in pain when it was over.

The multi day Open Events that I used to play at Borgata were some of the most tiring poker I ever played in. Always very competitive with a solid mix of well known and local pros.

After 4 days or so in AC, it felt many times like I needed a weeks vacation to recover from those trips.

going to go against the grain here and say that strong players are less mentally taxing to play against. You’ll perform far worse against them but you should be in a lot of tough spots against weak players too just in different ways.

Ie: When you’re faced with a bet from a nitty player, often it would be an easy call against someone that’s bluffing correctly, but a hard decision against the nit. Or when you get checked to by the same player there are a lot of hands that would be clear check backs against a player who is calling optimally but that you should give serious consideration to bluffing with. It just shifts what part of your range is a close decision.

Im always watching to see what hands get shown down of course but im not watching as intently for mannerisms or tendencies when someone has shown themselves to be stone faced and playing more or less optimally. The reads just don’t have nearly as much value.

In contrast a newb is often going to be a tell box. Some people are always weak when they check back the flop, for instance. You don’t necessarily need to see showdowns to get info from this but you do need to be making a conscious effort to catalogue their behaviour, and how they perceive you. And the reads need to be constantly adjusted. It’s way more work than just defaulting to some quasi gto appeoach.

t’s way more work than just defaulting to some quasi gto appeoach.
I’m sure you’re right. But my style is more exploitative than anything else. And we’re talking low level exploitation here. I don’t have GTO to fall back on - my fallback is more like ABC. So yeah, for me, it’s a lot more exhausting when nobody stinks.

Long hours for me. I'm always up for a challenge with tougher players, can help me grow as a player, even if it costs me a few chips.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom