What else do you collect? (2 Viewers)

I collect Steinbach Nutcrackers. This is about 1/3rd of my collection. I have two little ones running around so they have to placed out of reach and this is the only area that fits the bill right now. Fortunately the largest and most colorful nutcracker in the house is a cheap China made, so it is the one that gets all the kids attention.

I used to get one every Christmas when I was growing up. I stopped collecting them about 15 years ago, but my parents got me another one this year, so who knows? I may pick that up again. They get put away every year with the Christmas stuff so it's like opening up a bunch of presents again every year. It's funny, because I forget from year to year which I have so it's fun unpacking them just to see what I have.

20B1A4CF-114F-45D4-BE2C-FB099BBB6F49_zpsfjncjxmx.jpg

Wow! That is a lot of light. Are they all hanging in your man cave? I'm wanting to get one neon custom sign done in the next year or two. Where is your neon bender located? Zion...Are you in Southern Utah?

They put out some light for sure. I used to have about 20 of them in my old laundry room that was converted to my game room. It was 16' x 14'. I would have to turn some of them off or guys would complain and some would bring sun glasses :cool:. The signs are now hanging in my new room that is a shed I built from the remains of one wing of a large barn that burned down about 40 years ago. It is 50' x 16'. I will have to post some pictures when I get everything powered up.
My neon guy is in Salt Lake City. He is truly talented. I will ask him if he has ever shipped neon.
I actually live in central Utah. A small town of about 3,300.

They put out some light for sure. I used to have about 20 of them in my old laundry room that was converted to my game room. It was 16' x 14'. I would have to turn some of them off or guys would complain and some would bring sun glasses :cool:. The signs are now hanging in my new room that is a shed I built from the remains of one wing of a large barn that burned down about 40 years ago. It is 50' x 16'. I will have to post some pictures when I get everything powered up.
My neon guy is in Salt Lake City. He is truly talented. I will ask him if he has ever shipped neon.
I actually live in central Utah. A small town of about 3,300.

I asked because I'm coming to SLC for one day in July and could pick up a light if he had it done. It would not need to ship.

Everything under the sun. Here is some categories that I have a collection:

Toys
Coins
Cards
Liquor
Cigars
Guns
Comics
Newspaper
Books
Stamps
Watches
Pens
Sports Memorabilia
etc

After the toys have literally crowded me out of my office and after 45k chips, I think I may need to thin down some categories and focus on a few only. :eek:

Took a bit to think about this but nothing really. Only chips. hmmm

edit: I seem to be great at collecting a steady line of ex-gf's :)

Reminds me of one of the best lines in Casablanca: "How extravagant you are, throwing away women like that. Someday they may be scarce."

For me, it's high-end pens. I have two A.T. Cross Select-tip pens -- not White House pens, but the same ones the current and past president used there. Another is a 1940s Parker fountain pen. My favorite is a trusty Waterman ballpoint.

After that lottery win, which I am convinced is coming, it will be luxury watches and sports cars.

I've been more or less out of the arcade collecting hobby for the last 6 years, even though I've bought 5 in the last year :cool:. This video (a local news story about my collection) was almost 10 years ago before our addition, which included a basement extension that added 30 B&W games from the 1970's. I spent about 8 hours a day in this hobby from 1998 to 2008. It was both a time and money soak, far beyond chipping. Similar to restoring old cars, the first one is exciting but then it ended up feeling like a job so I bowed out of the insanity.

On Amazon Prime (and probably some others now) there is a documentary called The Space Invaders. I'm the guy in the orange shirt. The producer flew to my house in NH from CA and spent 3 days out here. We did my interview at 2am after I picked him up from the airport. I had a 102 fever and was out of my mind but I think it pulled together okay. This was a great hobby to be in, everyone was (is) friendly by nature due to the games being friendly by nature. The only tough era was around 2001-2002 when games and game parts were being sold at phenomenally high prices which attracted some of the scumbags looking to make a quick buck only.

I've been more or less out of the arcade collecting hobby for the last 6 years, even though I've bought 5 in the last year :cool:. This video (a local news story about my collection) was almost 10 years ago before our addition, which included a basement extension that added 30 B&W games from the 1970's. I spent about 8 hours a day in this hobby from 1998 to 2008. It was both a time and money soak, far beyond chipping. Similar to restoring old cars, the first one is exciting but then it ended up feeling like a job so I bowed out of the insanity.

Man, I wish I could find an arcade that had a Star Castle game in it. I loved that one...Missile Command...and I need me some Elvira Pinball. I think there are a couple made.

When your collection makes multiple news stories, you know you've done something. Guinness wins the thread.

On Amazon Prime (and probably some others now) there is a documentary called The Space Invaders. I'm the guy in the orange shirt. The producer flew to my house in NH from CA and spent 3 days out here. We did my interview at 2am after I picked him up from the airport. I had a 102 fever and was out of my mind but I think it pulled together okay. This was a great hobby to be in, everyone was (is) friendly by nature due to the games being friendly by nature. The only tough era was around 2001-2002 when games and game parts were being sold at phenomenally high prices which attracted some of the scumbags looking to make a quick buck only.

[emoji106] One of my best friends is getting pretty deep down the rabbit hole in this hobby! He's got about six or seven refurbished machines in his basement and also a couple of pinballs.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420232785.568624.jpg

Guiness, when I asked my friend for a photo of his stuff he asked if you are active on KLOV?

In a weird minority here...I actually am not really a collector of anything. If I buy something it is because I intend to use it. I have a handful of commemorative chips on my desk at work that I shuffle and that's about it besides my sets.

I don't collect anything either. I'm sort of minimalist in nature and would rather discard than hoard. It's bothering me that when I get my boulevard cash set I'll have two cash sets and one will be redundant. I think a lot of this has to do with the fact that I've moved 13 times in the last 14 years and every possession that I own equals calories to me.

Do you have one from St. Andrews yet?

Only other thing I "collect" are ball markers from courses I've played (or given to me as a gift). I've only started this recently so it's a pretty small collection at the moment.

- - - - - - - - - Updated - - - - - - - - -

I collect lapel pins of the different IBEW local unions. I have around 50.

Have been collecting Japanese Godzilla figures (with my son) for quite a while. Collection is much bigger now, these are older pics of what we had then.

Vintage hifi & audio, high end DJ gear.....and vinyl records.

So please, if your trashing/selling some of this stuff (records, ...) , please contact me first !

@ guinness: i'm looking for an arcade game, space theme...you see a little spaceship flying to the first planet (level 1) and then the game begins.
Gameplay is like mario bros (running left to right), weapons progress like space invaders (always more/bigger).

Last edited:
I used to collect movies (stopped at about 500) and now I just occasionally buy one or two. I do collect shot glasses now but I've only got about 20 of them.

For a long time I was buying everything I could that was Terrible's related:IMG_20150104_121416640.jpgIMG_20150104_121446023.jpgIMG_20150104_121453354.jpgIMG_20140102_195217_674.jpg

Guiness, when I asked my friend for a photo of his stuff he asked if you are active on KLOV?

Member? Yes. Active? No.

- - - - - - - - - Updated - - - - - - - - -

@ guinness: i'm looking for an arcade game, space theme...you see a little spaceship flying to the first planet (level 1) and then the game begins.
Gameplay is like mario bros (running left to right), weapons progress like space invaders (always more/bigger).

Can you describe more? Are you a ship or a guy when the game starts? The only ship landing game I can recall at the moment is Solar Warrior. Is it more early 80's or late 80's early 90's?

Can you describe more? Are you a ship or a guy when the game starts? The only ship landing game I can recall at the moment is Solar Warrior. Is it more early 80's or late 80's early 90's?

You nailed it, love this game
Other games I liked: wonderboy trilogy, space invaders, robocop, outrun, operation wolf, streetfighter series, NBA Jam, ...

Thanks a bunch !

Vintage hifi & audio, high end DJ gear.....and vinyl records.

So please, if your trashing/selling some of this stuff (records, ...) , please contact me first !

What type of records do you collect? I use to have a large hip hop collection but sold most of it. Did by these recently just because they were limited presses.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 166
I used to collect Chess sets (nothing horribly expensive). Just different styles. Have since gotten out of it. Used to play all the time. With my son busy with college/work and not having any friends outside of poker I don't really play much.

You can guess by my avatar, but I do have a Star Wars room in our house....... :)

Here's an older pic, not nearly finished and only about half of the room....similar to "200 Motels" mostly POTF (1995+), but I have my childhood stuff as well, and yes, I have a VERY LOVING WIFE......... ;)

JT4GOnM.jpg

nitzilla

Holy cow nitzilla! That's an impressive collection!

I remember back in the day I collected a bunch of the Star Wars action figures and the X-Wings and Darth Vader's Tie Fighter.

I asked because I'm coming to SLC for one day in July and could pick up a light if he had it done. It would not need to ship.

Hey Mike,

Here are two videos about the shop:

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=33037828

Kind of funny. As I watch the first video I see two of my signs that were in for repair and a clock that we are going to get done once I decide what I want.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom