What do you think of this chip denomination breakdown? Is it realistic? cash games. (1 Viewer)

I bought a poker chip carousel and wanted to fit it with only the necessary chips to play cash games for 5-6 players.
I found that it's possible with just 240 chips. Do you think this chip distribution is comfortable? 41 chips per full stack of $50

View attachment 827658
A few things that I think, I think
  • I had a similar question for a hybrid cash/tourney travel set
  • Would you consider a single-blind 50c game? You could make the game -/50c with a minimum open to $1, reducing your need for fracs and allowing those chips to be re-allocated elsewhere.
  • I would think shorthanded games tend to make it easier to make change (fewer players = more room, and it's been my experience that shorthanded games are usually a little more accomodating overall)
  • If ^ is true, I'd get the minimum # of fracs for the set ... 8 per player for starting stacks (in 25c/50c) with rebuys or add ons getting only workhorse chips.
  • If limited to 3 denominations, I would let $20 and $100 cash bills play from the start once all chips are out. Use chips for fracs and workhorse chips, with cash being live for bigger bets, and all-ins.
  • If more denoms are possible, I'd be around 50/160/65/25 (25c-1-5-25). That's ~$1,100 or more than 3 full buy-ins per player 6-handed.

What's wrong with half a set for half a table? The OP was specifically asking about a 5-6 player game.

Yes, I want to carry my carousel with 300 chip capacity when I only know 4 to 6 players might play. Note, not all of them will buy full-stack since they're playing with scared money. I now have a 500 chip case, but not everyone at my friends house plays at all, and I don't want to be "that guy" , that simply shows up with the whole army of his equipment to others house to tell them how to run a gathering (not poker oriented) , lol.
So I was guessing that's the point of having small carousels with limited space (to be used to bring to places where it's uncertain if people play, and if there is people that play, they're not regulars and probably are short stackers trying poker just because there's nothing better to do)

It still should be efficient
How is 300 chips for five players less efficient than 600 chips for ten players? They have the same number and type of chips per player...

I'm not trying to be argumentative; I'm genuinely curious about what I'm missing.

I don't want to be "that guy" , that simply shows up with the whole army of his equipment to others house
That makes a lot of sense!

Instead of the carousel, you might consider a case that's smaller and nicer-looking than the typical aluminum ones. They'd make it easier to just tuck them out of the way if nobody wants to play right now without anyone thinking "Oh, look, it's That Poker Guy with his Big Case of All The Poker Stuff".

Here's a few I found that are leather/vinyl and small:

Holds 400 chips plus cards, leather - also includes chips but just throw them away

Holds 300 chips plus cards, vinyl

Holds 300 chips without cards, vinyl

Holds 300 chips without cards, vinyl

I have several of the 300-chip-without-cards cases and they're rather attractive. They're also quite small and unobtrusive. You'd need to have something else that you carried a deck of cards and maybe a dealer button in, maybe a backpack or something? Or a pocket? But I wouldn't have any problem carrying that with me to a party and then just leaving it next to a chair or whatever until someone said "Hey, didn't you bring some poker chips? Let's play!"

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom