What do you think of this chip denomination breakdown? Is it realistic? cash games. (1 Viewer)

TrainerRed

High Hand
Reaction score
I bought a poker chip carousel and wanted to fit it with only the necessary chips to play cash games for 5-6 players.
I found that it's possible with just 240 chips. Do you think this chip distribution is comfortable? 41 chips per full stack of $50

1639371875896.png

If you're playing 25¢/25¢ or 25¢/50¢, your workhorse chip will be $1s. We play 25¢/50¢, and you don't need nearly as many quarters as you think. Yes, there'll be change making, but raises will be made with mostly $1s and some $5s of course.

You could do 80/120/40 quarters, bucks, fives, respectively, and do 20/20/5 for 4 players, 16/21/5 for 5 players, 12/17/6 for 6 players.

I'd be concerned that my bank only covers 6 buy-ins. I obviously don't know how your group plays, but 6 buy-ins would last less than an hour at my game - even 4 handed.
Yeah I was looking at how to expand the bank. 40 of $5s seems not enough.

OP, is 240 the capacity of that carousel?

80/100/60 in quarters, bucks, fives, respectively might be better, and keep 20/20/5 for 4 players, do 16/16/6 for 5 players instead, and 12/12/7 instead for 6 players (or 12/17/6 if you can sneak in 2 more $1 chips).

Yeah I was looking at how to expand the bank. 40 of $5s seems not enough.

OP, is 240 the capacity of that carousel?

80/100/60 in quarters, bucks, fives, respectively might be better, and keep 20/20/5 for 4 players, do 16/16/6 for 5 players instead, and 12/12/7 instead for 6 players (or 12/17/6 if you can sneak in 2 more $1 chips).
The capacity is 300. I just found that picture example online as is and didn't edit it.

The capacity is 300. I just found that picture example online as is and didn't edit it.
If you have the room in the carousel, then 80/140/80 would be a bank of $560, or ~11 buy-ins, or 80/120/100 would give you almost 13.

If you don't mind adding a fourth denom, then as @Colquhoun suggested, a barrel of $25s (say, 80/120/80/20) will give you almost 21 buy-ins.

Just curious, what is "low limit" for your game(s)/friends and how big do the pots get?

Are you A. trying to figure out quantities for the breakdown of a set of chips you're planning on buying or B. do you already have the chips and just want to trim down to the minimum from the larger set?

If A, I would buy a set 300-400 with a few more of everything and add a quantity of $25 (and maybe even a few $50 or $100) - you'll have some spares in case of loss, damage, growth of game or increase of buy ins (# or $) or limits, etc. If B, I would divvy up with your initial quantities and just play - see how things work out for your game(s)...

Just curious, what is "low limit" for your game(s)/friends and how big do the pots get?

Are you A. trying to figure out quantities for the breakdown of a set of chips you're planning on buying or B. do you already have the chips and just want to trim down to the minimum from the larger set?

If A, I would buy a set 300-400 with a few more of everything and add a quantity of $25 (and maybe even a couple of $50 or $100) - you'll have some spares in case of loss, damage, growth of game or increase of buy in (# or $), etc. If B, I would divvy up with your initial quantities and just play - see how things work out for your game(s)...
Only the blinds are "low-limit". The reality is that up to 8xbb - 10xbb preflop raises are the norm.

Ideally you will want a bank to cover at least 3 buyin per person and up to 5 buyin per person for lower stake that play more loose and with more aggression

So that is at least 18 buyin required for 6 person which is a bank of $900 is ideal

25c/$1/$5/$25 60/100/60/20 will give you a bank of $915

Last edited:
You can make a game work with anywhere from 100 to 5,000 chips. The question is what trade-offs are you making when using more or fewer chips?

You need enough high-denomination chips to make a bank big enough to cover, as @allforcharity says, "all the money on the table on your biggest night". How much that is depends on your stakes, your buy-in and rebuy limits, the games you play, and how aggressive and spendy your players are. A typical amount might be three buy-ins per player with 100bb buy-ins but in practice your game might need only a fraction of that or might need several multiples of that.

If you don't have enough big-denom chips to cover your bank, then you can still make do by letting cash play. If you only have quarters, ones, and fives, but are expecting multiple hundred-dollar buy-ins, what do you do? Let people put $20 bills on their stack. Problem solved.

You need enough low-denomination chips to let people place their bets conveniently using chips already in their stack rather than needing to get change from other players or from the pot. There's no magic number for this, though, because once again it depends on the betting habits of your players. Fewer chips means more change-making, but change-making is hardly the end of the world, so if your players use fewer chips when they bet and don't have any difficulty or annoyance making change then you can get away with having fewer chips on the table.

Then there's the question of giving out low-denoms or high-denoms when handing out add-ons and rebuys. If someone busts out and rebuys, you could hand them a few high-denom chips and let them make change from the other players at the table. But there's something aesthetically pleasing about letting players who took someone else's stack keep all the chips they just won. If you have enough low denoms, you can give the rebuying player a new stack that already has all the low-denom chips he'll need for making bets, which means no change-making, which means the low-denom chips he just lost get to stay in the stacks of the players who won them. This also means that over time the stacks at the table get physically larger, which is cool. The alternative is that the stacks accumulate a few high-value chips (or bills if cash plays), which is also appealing but is a different aesthetic from having larger piles of chips.

With fewer low-denom chips in play, there will be more change-making and stacks will be less able to grow physically large over time. But again, the point is that there's no magic number which is the right amount. It's a continuum.

Vintage poker chip sets like the carousel you found typically came with room for 200 chips, with a pre-determined breakdown of 100 whites, 50 reds, and 50 blues. Here's how you could use that breakdown to support a modern game of 25c/50c NLHE:

First off: make blues 25c, whites $1, and reds $5. In olden days the blue chip would be the highest-value chip, but NLHE games today need more of the second denom and fewer of the first denom, and the old breakdowns aren't designed for that. So swap them around to make it work better.

Assume buy-ins are $50, which is 100bb.

The first four players each get:
12 blue (12x 25c = $3)
17 white ($17)
6 red (6x $5 = $30)

The fifth player gets:
20 white
6 red

The sixth and seventh player get 10 red each. That puts all the chips in play except two blue and twelve white.

Subsequent players plus any rebuys or add-ons put twenties in cash on the table.

This will work pretty well for four or five players without a lot of change-making. With six you start to make change more often, and it gets even more frequent with seven, eight, or nine players. At ten players the low-denoms are spread super-thin so change-making is simply a constant activity. It might get on your players' nerves, but it's still playable.

The carousel you bought has a 300 chip capacity, and you're not constrained to using just three denoms. That means you have a great deal of flexibility in how to stock it with chips. Depending on your stakes, your buy-in and rebuy limits, the games you play, and how your players like to bet, you may want to have more or fewer low-denoms for betting with and more or fewer high-denoms to make a large bank. Nearly any breakdown will work, but what works best is something you'll have to find out for yourself.

Buy a new carousel.

Without knowing much about your group its..........actually, no it isn't. Still easy to answer. The breakdown is unnecessary small. Players will be making change all of the time. If your group plays like nits and don't rebuy at all, then just play tourney's? Otherwise get at least another one to two hundred chips.

240 chips is only enough for a heads up cash set...

edit: even so, i'd still prefer 300 chips for a heads up set

I'd be concerned that my bank only covers 6 buy-ins. I obviously don't know how your group plays, but 6 buy-ins would last less than an hour at my game - even 4 handed.
Shoot, you’re capable of burning through 6 buy-ins in an hour on your own!

Buy a new carousel.

Without knowing much about your group its..........actually, no it isn't. Still easy to answer. The breakdown is unnecessary small. Players will be making change all of the time. If your group plays like nits and don't rebuy at all, then just play tourney's? Otherwise get at least another one to two hundred chips.
300 chips for five players is equivalent to 600 chips for a full table of ten players, and that's the most common recommendation for cash sets here on PCF:

100 quarters
200 ones
200 fives
80 twenty-fives
20 hundreds

Just cutting those numbers in half should do okay for a five-player, 300-chip carousel.

300 chips for five players is equivalent to 600 chips for a full table of ten players, and that's the most common recommendation for cash sets here on PCF:

100 quarters
200 ones
200 fives
80 twenty-fives
20 hundreds

Just cutting those numbers in half should do okay for a five-player, 300-chip carousel.

nope

Have those numbers been discussed extensively? The app found on resources also shows that breakdown.

100 quarters
200 ones
200 fives
80 twenty-fives
20 hundreds

1639424089295.png

50 chips per player for 6 max is the problem.

It can be "playable" but its just :vomit:
How do you feel about 60 chips per player? Is there really that much difference between them? ... because, again, 60 chips per player (including value chips for a large bank) is a very common recommendation around here.

How do you feel about 60 chips per player? Is there really that much difference between them? ... because, again, 60 chips per player (including value chips for a large bank) is a very common recommendation around here.

I commented on this recently. 60 per player is still terrible.

At least 80 per player is the bare minimum for me. Even so, a 600 chip cash game set is a 6 max set to me, not full ring

Depends on the blinds. In a $.25/$.50 game with a $200 entry, I'm giving $180 in $5s, $15 in $1s, and $5 in pink.

For a $1/$1 game I'm giving $180 in red and $20 in white, or I'm making the buy in $220 to give three full barrels.

Edit to say these are starting stacks. I've got to figure at least two rebuys per player. And I'm not switching to value chips for the first rebuy. I'm getting at least three racks of $5 in play before the $20/$25 hit the table.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom