What do YOU think happens when you die? (2 Viewers)

I always thought of myself as an agnostic even before I knew of the term. Atheist is definitely too strong of a term imho, and something people should really consider more closely before making a declaration about.

we shed our physical bodies and exist only within our souls
Practically, all our wants, needs, desires, beliefs, etc. are based on or around the physical. To suddenly be completed void of all the physical, I'd be a completely different person (or mind, or entity, or immaterial being, or whatever). There is no way I could 100% know that I'd have any of the same feelings or emotions (after all, emotions are just chemical/hormonal reactions in my physical body which I don't possess anymore after death). Would I still "love" my love ones? I honestly don't know. How can one love without the physical? Is it possible? I'm not god after all, who is (allegedly) omnibenevolent (i.e. all-loving).
Well said.

By the way, there is a religion who promises piles of rice and 72 virgins to be deflowered, in the afterlife, for every martyr who dies killing infidels.:ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
You can't argue with that kind of people; or probably you can tell them that your paradise consists of french fries and sluts.:)

Well said.

By the way, there is a religion who promises piles of rice and 72 virgins to be deflowered, in the afterlife, for every martyr who dies killing infidels.:ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
You can't argue with that kind of people; or probably you can tell them that your paradise consists of french fries and sluts.:)

What kinda fries we talking?

It's my understanding that all consciousness is dependent on the combination of the matter of the brain and the energy that operates it. Without energy to fuel the brain, or a brain to process the energy, I don't see any reason to believe the consciousness can continue to exist Your bodily functions convert fuel to energy that powers your body. Your body constantly expels that energy, primarily through heat loss. Once your body can no longer convert fuel to energy, the remaining energy will dissipate, mostly thermally, until your body temperature matches the ambient temperature of your surroundings. The remaining matter will be consumed by other life-forms and then converted to energy they need to sustain themselves, and the cycle continues. We are essentially recycled back into the Earth, but what we consider to be our 'self' no longer exists.

Now the next question is, does the 'self' actually exist.

Not here to argue but I do believe in God. I do believe in heaven and hell. I do believe that Jesus walked the Earth 2000+ years ago and was crucified and rose from the dead to conquer sin. I had a near death experience a little over 2 years ago and believe God spoke to me during my critical time saying that I was His and He was there for me. That’s my belief. If I’m wrong so what? But I’m 99.9% sure I am not.

It's my understanding that all consciousness is dependent on the combination of the matter of the brain and the energy that operates it. Without energy to fuel the brain, or a brain to process the energy, I don't see any reason to believe the consciousness can continue to exist Your bodily functions convert fuel to energy that powers your body. Your body constantly expels that energy, primarily through heat loss. Once your body can no longer convert fuel to energy, the remaining energy will dissipate, mostly thermally, until your body temperature matches the ambient temperature of your surroundings. The remaining matter will be consumed by other life-forms and then converted to energy they need to sustain themselves, and the cycle continues. We are essentially recycled back into the Earth, but what we consider to be our 'self' no longer exists.

Now the next question is, does the 'self' actually exist.
Its a phenomenon of the conscious mind ...

I was raised Roman Catholic, and despite going through the motions as a child, I always had a ton of questions and never fully believed in god. I was the little kid sitting in Sunday school asking questions that would eventually have them kindly request to my parents to not send me back anymore.

I always thought of myself as an agnostic even before I knew of the term. Atheist is definitely too strong of a term imho, and something people should really consider more closely before making a declaration about. As I've come to understand it, the difference between an atheist and an agnostic is that even if the actual god appeared in front of an atheist, spoke to them, and performed a miracle for them to witness, they still wouldn't believe in god's existence because they already absolutely KNOW god is not real. I really can't see myself just absolutely knowing that fact beyond all doubt (without using some faith ironically).

Majoring in philosophy in university introduced me to a ton of various theories about religion, and I the one that seemed to stick with me the most was from The Ethics by Baruch Spinoza. He so clearly argued that everything (god, universe, substance, nature) is just one whole singular substance that we are all just a part of, and that death is just a transition into a different part of the whole. I always kind of liked that idea of interconnectedness with everything around us.

As far as afterlife is concerned, I think a lot of people don't really consider what a "heaven" or afterlife would really be like. First of all, most people who believe in an afterlife are under the impression that we shed our physical bodies and exist only within our souls (maybe "within" is the wrong word, but you catch my drift). If that is the case, then we as humans truly cannot know what we'd think and feel at that point. Practically, all our wants, needs, desires, beliefs, etc. are based on or around the physical. To suddenly be completed void of all the physical, I'd be a completely different person (or mind, or entity, or immaterial being, or whatever). There is no way I could 100% know that I'd have any of the same feelings or emotions (after all, emotions are just chemical/hormonal reactions in my physical body which I don't possess anymore after death). Would I still "love" my love ones? I honestly don't know. How can one love without the physical? Is it possible? I'm not god after all, who is (allegedly) omnibenevolent (i.e. all-loving).

I'd like to think there's more to the universe than just this existence, but minus any proof I don't think I will be completely altering the way I live banking on an afterlife. I'm just not that type of person, no offense to god, but if god is real, it would know that about me anyway.

Personally, just cremate my remains and get rid of them however you see fit. Or maybe do the "green" burial where they bury my remains but add whatever chemicals to it so it biodegrades and turns into compost quickly, but I'm only cool with that as long as where ever I'm buried that land is actually being used and not just a waste of space cemetery full of headstones that no one has visited for decades - just make it a nice green space/park please.
+1

I think (could be wrong) it’s not that an atheist could never believe there’s a god, say if they appear before them and do some good ole fashioned miracles, just that they currently do not. Same as being a theist does not mean that they could never believe there’s not a god, it’s just that they (currently) do.

Definitions:
Atheism - disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods.

Agnosticism - stance that human reason is incapable of providing sufficient rational grounds to justify either the belief that God exists or the belief that God does not exist.

Not here to argue but I do believe in God. I do believe in heaven and hell. I do believe that Jesus walked the Earth 2000+ years ago and was crucified and rose from the dead to conquer sin. I had a near death experience a little over 2 years ago and believe God spoke to me during my critical time saying that I was His and He was there for me. That’s my belief. If I’m wrong so what? But I’m 99.9% sure I am not.
The good news is that we're all wrong :)
We are each 100% entitled to our beliefs and there should be no debate about right/wrong IMHO.
Sounds like a very meaningful experience - thank you for sharing.

It’s a Monte Carlo simulation, every choice, decision, and circumstance is being tested to eventually prove something. That’s why it’s taking so long.

I believe that when I die I’ll likely piss myself unless I severely dehydrated myself right before time of death.

I don't know what I think myself. Mainly I don't believe in God or what is written in the bible, ... but on the other hand there are things we cannot explain hence keeping some doubt about what happens "after". Rationally, I used to think it's like sleeping when no dreaming but we had a weird experience in my family.

My grand mother and her twin sister were both affected very hard by Alzheimer and her twin sister in the latest stage - did not react anymore, could not speak anymore, always in bed.

My grand mother passed away during the night (1:50 AM) at her home. The day after the nurse from the nursing house of her twin called us to tell that around 2 am she woke up, starting to talk normally and react (we was not talking anymore and almost not even reacting anymore for weeks / months). After one day she was again in the state she was in the past weeks/months.

This story happened almost 20 years ago but I think about it quite often. It can also be just a coincidence but this experience still makes me reflect a lot.

Also, the reality we currently experience is actually a digital simulation.

So they have already taken over... I knew it!

1615821853105.png

The thing I don't understand though is why does god choose to speak to you and not others. If god would just show up every now and again, I think there would be more believers. Isn't that what he wants ultimately? If blind faith is required, then why show up and speak to some people at all?

I had a neighbor who had a stroke and his heart stopped for minutes but they were able to resuscitate him. Afterwards, he told me that while he was being operated on, he had a "dream" where is saw a bright light and followed it. It cleared and he saw an angel on the left and two grim reapers on the right. Then he said he felt sucked away and doesn't remember anything else until waking up in the hospital hours later. I also had a "friend" (using the term loosely) who had an experience of Jesus in his room at night and Jesus directed him in his life (telling him to move to South Korea from Australia to teach English).

Hey god, if you're up there, I'm ready for my life lesson now please. Honestly, I'm not joking. Doesn't seem fair really for the rest of us.

Although I’ve wrestled and struggled with it seemingly daily for the last 28 years I remain a man of faith, and I believe I’ll go to heaven when I die.
Coincidentally I spoke to your God recently...
They informed me that if you give all of your chips that say Armory or Empress on them to me, you're good to go..

You stop breathing, you shat yourself, and you begin decomposing.

Other than that I do like the theory that your soul doesn't die, it is however reborn into a new body, hence why folks sometimes have super weird flash backs of memories that are not their own.

You stop breathing, you shat yourself, and you begin decomposing.

Other than that I do like the theory that your soul doesn't die, it is however reborn into a new body, hence why folks sometimes have super weird flash backs of memories that are not their own.
A couple things I never understood about reincarnation. First of all, in about 1000 years, we went from 500,000ish to 7 billion+ people in the world. Where did all those new souls come from?

Second (and this relates to the first question), according to many who believe in reincarnation, if you are a bad person in this life, you get reincarnated as a "lower" animal instead of a human. Then you have to live a good life in order to be "promoted" back to a human in the next life. However, how the heck do you "live a good life" as say, a dog? I never bite my owner's hand? Never piss on the rug? What if I'm a cockroach? Never gross out a human? I just don't get how nonmoral animal souls get graded and promoted back to humans. Seems pretty arbitrary to me.

A couple things I never understood about reincarnation. First of all, in about 1000 years, we went from 500,000ish to 7 billion+ people in the world. Where did all those new souls come from?

Second (and this relates to the first question), according to many who believe in reincarnation, if you are a bad person in this life, you get reincarnated as a "lower" animal instead of a human. Then you have to live a good life in order to be "promoted" back to a human in the next life. However, how the heck do you "live a good life" as say, a dog? I never bite my owner's hand? Never piss on the rug? What if I'm a cockroach? Never gross out a human? I just don't get how nonmoral animal souls get graded and promoted back to humans. Seems pretty arbitrary to me.
These days you could get downgraded to German Shepherd for as little an infraction as leaving toothpaste traces on the lavatory:)
If you then act irresponsibly like "Major" Biden, your chances of being re-upgraded to human are blown up:D

I think a lot of these ideas like "reincarnation", "sin", "hell" are religious authority's way of keeping us all from degenerating into murderous thugs.
The opposite of how these suicide bombers are tricked into blowing themselves up for "virgins in paradise."
A lot of these ideas were designed and implemented for behavioral control
I dont think its a bad thing. If more people thought this was a one way trip devoid of meaning and no repercussions in the "afterlife" it could get ugly out there.

The Ethics by Baruch Spinoza. He so clearly argued that everything (god, universe, substance, nature) is just one whole singular substance that we are all just a part of, and that death is just a transition into a different part of the whole. I always kind of liked that idea of interconnectedness with everything around us.
^^^ the big problem is that things like gasses that make up the air that surrounds us are not visible - there really is pretty much no empty space, everything is literally physically connected and we are all a part of the whole. The illusion of separateness comes from the illusion that we are separated by open space IMHO.

Second (and this relates to the first question), according to many who believe in reincarnation, if you are a bad person in this life, you get reincarnated as a "lower" animal instead of a human.
You kind of answered your own question there. The 7 billion "human" souls today could've been "lesser" souls historically. As these souls come closer to enlightenment, they've been "promoted" to humans.
Then you have to live a good life in order to be "promoted" back to a human in the next life. However, how the heck do you "live a good life" as say, a dog? I never bite my owner's hand? Never piss on the rug? What if I'm a cockroach? Never gross out a human? I just don't get how nonmoral animal souls get graded and promoted back to humans. Seems pretty arbitrary to me.
Perhaps at that level it's not necessarily about living a "moral" life, but about your soul learning a lesson. My wife is super impatient, and I always tell her she is coming back in the next life as a sloth.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom