What did Teddy have when it bet it all? (1 Viewer)

WedgeRock

Royal Flush
Reaction score
Terrance discussed it on the last Pokercast podcast... He said he knew what it was because he had ultra slow-mo'ed the hand when he was younger. Watching it again, when Teddy stands up, he throws his card at Mike and they flutter. I suppose its possible to identify them. I never paid that close of attention.

I did notice that the first burn card was (I think) the :2c:. For a guy that runs a card club, he certainly is a sloppy dealer.

So what do you think he had?

Should Mike's forward motion when he laid down his monster have been binding?

When Mike calls the flop, Teddy assumes Mike is on a draw. What draw could Mike be on with a rainbow board? 9J? 58?

When Mike calls the pot-sized turn bet, why on earth would Teddy not consider 89? Why would he lead out for all his chips on the river? He thought Mike was playing AK? A-paint? A-worse? But he smiles when Mike admits the ace didn't help him (before Mike reveals the nuts). He should have shit his pants when that happened.

I think you are correct that the general consensus is Teddy held TT (and that's what Terrance said his slow-mo revealed), but Teddy's betting pattern is horrible, IMO.

tough to say.
Those don’t look like tens to me.
Actually looks like a 98 - same hand?
D1D9C27F-6A77-42E7-8FFC-A7EE784C0B72.jpeg

Damn. Good catch.

The vid I linked too was only 480p. I have a DVD copy at home (two actually), but I don't have the movie on BR.

Need the date code off the A of spades river too, please. Just to satisfy my curiousity.

Maybe a bluray would tell us for sure, but it definitely looks like a 98 to me

tough to say.
Those don’t look like tens to me.
Actually looks like a 98 - same hand?
View attachment 134684

From the movie..it doesnt look like he's throwing his hole cards at him...it looks like he's throwing the remaining deck he was holding while dealing. I"m pretty sure his hole cards are still on the table face down.

From the movie..it doesnt look like he's throwing his hole cards at him...it looks like he's throwing the remaining deck he was holding while dealing. I"m pretty sure his hole cards are still on the table face down.
This. His cards are never flying through the air, he slams down the stub.

4D271280-0488-49F8-9F70-75245D3CDF5C.jpeg

This. His cards are never flying through the air, he slams down the stub.

This would be good, except that the scene is cut multiple times.

Watch Teddy's cards before he blows up. They move on their own, sometimes aligned, sometimes at an angle. Check their position. In some shots, there is a seam in the rail right behind the cards (to the left from Mike's/the camera's perspective) but at least once, there is no seam. The second deck to Mike's right changes too.

Just before he flips out (or as he is flipping out), Teddy clearly has the stub in his right hand. Pretty sure he has just the stub in his hand as he raises it to throw it down. But then the majority of the stub goes to Teddy's right, a bunch splash the table in front of Mike and then two cards float off to Mike's right? There clearly are cards where Teddy was sitting, but its impossible to tell if they are still his hole cards.

Too many cuts in that scene to be definitive.

Too many cuts in that scene to be definitive.
Plenty enough for me to be convinced those aren’t his cards. Teddy obviously slams the stub with his right hand and the two cards fly from the spot where the stub hits. From Teddy’s body position it’s not possible for him to have grabbed his cards with his left hand and pitched them from the angle they fly from.

Stub slam
7BD94716-2DA1-45D3-879C-9DE00D1FBFA8.png

Cards flying
89BA3409-5808-4B04-A2FB-C26AD6E239EB.png

115AB049-CA48-4F23-BA5F-636D58AE48BE.png

Besides that you can clearly see the 10s face up on the table while the chips are being collected. That’s enough for me to buy someone turned his cards face up and at least one of them was the 10s
4572DFC6-4E83-4ABA-AF71-41B017A89B83.png

Besides that you can clearly see the 10s face up on the table while the chips are being collected. That’s enough for me to buy someone turned his cards face up and at least one of them was the 10s
4572dfc6-4e83-4aba-af71-41b017a89b83-png.134715

You think that :ts: is half of Teddy's pocket turned face up?

I disagree.

dsfgnoperb8349thkibefb935.png

Like I said... The general consensus is he had pocket tens. With the number of cuts in the scene, its impossible to know, but I do agree its unlikely that the 98 that flies in front of Mr. Flannel is Teddy's pocket holdings.

Last edited:
I never understood the popularity of this movie. String betting aside, the loose playing, half inebriated, recreational donkey's at the card game I play in wouldn't set fire to their stack the way Eddie does in this scene, but that is Hollywood for you.

I don’t know what your spoiler is supposed to mean.

In the screen cap I posted, look to the left side of the table and you can see the :ts: on top of a bunch of other cards. If you watch the clip, those cards weren't there when Teddy exploded, the inference being that the guy collecting the chips moved the cards there and then started stacking and racking. I don't think the :ts: shown in your still is half of Teddy's pocket holdings. That's not to say he didn't have pocket tens, which I think is still the most logical holding (although he played it like a total donk).

those cards weren't there when Teddy exploded
Of course they weren't... except for the board, burns and each players holdings the cards were all in Teddy's hand when he exploded.
the inference being that the guy collecting the chips moved the cards there and then started stacking and racking.
That's no different than what I said except in my theory he'd also peeked at Teddy's cards and threw them on the pile.
I don't think the :ts: shown in your still is half of Teddy's pocket holdings.
Occam's Razor. If he had his most logical and widely accepted hand of pocket 10's that would mean there is only one 10 remaining in the deck and two of them face down on the table. Is it more likely the fourth 10 randomly happened to end up face up on top of the pile of cards we see or is it more likely he (or someone else) threw Teddy's cards face up on top of the pile? :D

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom