What could this be? (1 Viewer)

3 down 5 to go.
KkhZ2k.jpg

n6J694.jpg

25ZfV9.jpg

Very cool!

Pardon my ignorance, buy why do the trays have to be printed at an angle like that? It seems wasteful of time and material. ???

Thanks.

Very cool!

Pardon my ignorance, buy why do the trays have to be printed at an angle like that? It seems wasteful of time and material. ???

Thanks.
I was wondering the same thing. My guess was it was the only way to achieve a bottom with a recess.

What is the material cost per unit?

Very cool!

Thanks.

I thought is was going to be a display rack to show edge spots. Still very cool!!

Very, very cool. Also interested how much, although don't feel obliged to discuss.

Wow. Amazing stuff. Would love to know how long the actual process takes, cost, and details on it. I know nothing about 3D printing, except it's very cool. Awesome stuff.

Very cool!

Thanks.

You can print them in many orientations. All create a useable, functional tray.

(short answer)

The 45-degree tilt is a compromise that I think puts out the most aesthetically pleasing tray. Some material is wasted and in the case of 3d printing even wasted material takes time to produce. The wasted material is put into the recycling bin as it is recyclable plastic. Most manufacturing processes have waste material of some sort.

(warning: over-explanation coming)

You can print them in many orientations. All create a useable, functional tray.

(short answer)

The 45-degree tilt is a compromise that I think puts out the most aesthetically pleasing tray. Some material is wasted and in the case of 3d printing even wasted material takes time to produce. The wasted material is put into the recycling bin as it is recyclable plastic. Most manufacturing processes have waste material of some sort.

(warning: over-explanation coming)

(over-explanation below)

Here are the three orientation options I tried.

A. Horizontally flat, like they sit when holding chips

The problem with printing this way is there is a hole on the underside so they can stack. You will need to print support in there to keep that from collapsing. All of that support material would need to be removed which can leave marks.

That isn't a huge problem, however.

3d printers print layer by layer (0.2mm per layer) from the bottom (or top in some cases) so that the bottom of that chip tunnel prints just one tiny line (0.4mm) at the bottom on one layer. On the next layer is skips where that tiny line is and prints a tiny line on each side of it. Continue this all the way to the top of the curve. This process creates a useable curve but it is a little rough. This is mostly because of the 0.4mm horizontal step vs the 0.2mm vertical step. Each layer is squished into the previous layer to make it bond together. The nozzle extrudes a round 0.4mm line of melted plastic.

The "solution" to this is B.

B. Vertical, tray on the side

If you imagine the tray on the side so that the chip stacks are straight up you get a really nice curve where the chips sit.

You also get an unsupported area on side that is now on top. So you need to print support material for the entire height of the tray, front (where the chips sit) and back (where it stacks on the tray below). This support material uses plastic and needs to be removed possibly leaving marks. Also, having support material that tall all by itself until the top has a larger risk of failing and often leaves the bottom part of that top wall (where it touches the chips) less smooth than would be desired. Support material often makes the underside of whatever it is supporting less smooth.

The side that is now flat against the printing bed is REALLY flat (and a bit shiny) as it was squished directly into the printing bed when the first layer was put down. The side that is up in the air is less flat and shiny so it doesn't match the bottom side.

The compromise is C.

C. 45-degree angle

The 3d printer can print outwards up to maybe 50 degrees overhang without support.

If I print the tray at a 45 degree angle the chip tunnel (where the chips sit) gets a full curve line printed each layer. This is better in quality than horizontal (A) and almost as good as vertical (B).

The now top and bottom sides are being printed at 45 degree angles, are not touching the printing bed, so they match.

No support is needed where the chips sit or for the inside of that top wall.

It does need support but it re-inforces itself as it goes up by printing in a triangular shape against the tray as it goes up. This is very stable.

Also, the support only touches the tray on the bottom edges where the finish isn't very important AND minimizes how much support touches the part.

Overall, they all use some plastic that is just thrown away (in the recycling bin).

I was wondering the same thing. My guess was it was the only way to achieve a bottom with a recess.

What is the material cost per unit?

A 1kg roll of filament costs from $22 to $30 (USD) as prices fluctuate quite a bit. Trays vary by size, obviously, but it takes about 230g of filament per tray of this size which is 39mm x 5 rows x 20 chips. So you get about four trays per roll IF you have no failures.

I am getting better but still have some failures. I do test runs to make sure the customization and sizing is ok. You can't use the entire roll as it is very difficult to change rolls in the middle of a print (possible, but not practical).

I estimate about $7 to $8 per tray which gives me some wiggle room. I have been charging $14 per tray plus actual shipping and paying my son to run the printer when he gets home from school.

I am going to raise my rate to cover the inevitable replacement parts I will need for my 3d printer as belts, motors, hot ends and heated build plates all have a finite life span.

As an product offering this is pretty unique. I will build customization (relatively simple) into the tray, make it the exact size for your chips and print it in any of about 20 available colors. It isn't the cheapest way to store your precious chips, but, it is, in my opinion, kinda neat.

(over-explanation below)

Here are the three orientation options I tried.

A. Horizontally flat, like they sit when holding chips

The problem with printing this way is there is a hole on the underside so they can stack. You will need to print support in there to keep that from collapsing. All of that support material would need to be removed which can leave marks.

That isn't a huge problem, however.

3d printers print layer by layer (0.2mm per layer) from the bottom (or top in some cases) so that the bottom of that chip tunnel prints just one tiny line (0.4mm) at the bottom on one layer. On the next layer is skips where that tiny line is and prints a tiny line on each side of it. Continue this all the way to the top of the curve. This process creates a useable curve but it is a little rough. This is mostly because of the 0.4mm horizontal step vs the 0.2mm vertical step. Each layer is squished into the previous layer to make it bond together. The nozzle extrudes a round 0.4mm line of melted plastic.

The "solution" to this is B.

B. Vertical, tray on the side

If you imagine the tray on the side so that the chip stacks are straight up you get a really nice curve where the chips sit.

You also get an unsupported area on side that is now on top. So you need to print support material for the entire height of the tray, front (where the chips sit) and back (where it stacks on the tray below). This support material uses plastic and needs to be removed possibly leaving marks. Also, having support material that tall all by itself until the top has a larger risk of failing and often leaves the bottom part of that top wall (where it touches the chips) less smooth than would be desired. Support material often makes the underside of whatever it is supporting less smooth.

The side that is now flat against the printing bed is REALLY flat (and a bit shiny) as it was squished directly into the printing bed when the first layer was put down. The side that is up in the air is less flat and shiny so it doesn't match the bottom side.

The compromise is C.

C. 45-degree angle

The 3d printer can print outwards up to maybe 50 degrees overhang without support.

If I print the tray at a 45 degree angle the chip tunnel (where the chips sit) gets a full curve line printed each layer. This is better in quality than horizontal (A) and almost as good as vertical (B).

The now top and bottom sides are being printed at 45 degree angles, are not touching the printing bed, so they match.

No support is needed where the chips sit or for the inside of that top wall.

It does need support but it re-inforces itself as it goes up by printing in a triangular shape against the tray as it goes up. This is very stable.

Also, the support only touches the tray on the bottom edges where the finish isn't very important AND minimizes how much support touches the part.

Overall, they all use some plastic that is just thrown away (in the recycling bin).
Fascinating stuff, Ken! Thanks for the detailed explanation. (y) :thumbsup:

Reactions: Ken

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom