What constitutes clay chips? (1 Viewer)

It’s flakier/fluffier looking than I expected.

Not sure why the face/rolling edge is so much darker than the interior.
Obv, Paulsons are made out of 3 Musketeers bars.
1710186704588.png

Here are some additional photos of the interior of the damaged Aurora Star $2 chip, showing the spot color inside:

IMG_2882.jpeg
IMG_2881.jpeg
IMG_2880.jpeg

1) Pardon my torn up, calloused, jaundiced-looking fingers. I normally don’t notice how much my outdoor work roughs them up.

2) It looks like the interiors of the spot colors are pretty consistent with the exteriors. So the light, flaky, Three Musketeers-looking interior of the brown base color seems to be unique to that hue. Maybe the heat/compression applied to the outside darkens it?

IMG_2878.jpeg

Last edited:
As promised here is a busted up BCC.

IMG_5069.jpeg

IMG_5071.jpeg

IMG_5073.jpeg

IMG_5074.jpeg

The edge spot is a little odd, but it is tri moon, so maybe that interacts with the clay somewhat differently. It seems like the base color pushes pretty deeply in to the spot.

As far as the base color itself, it seems consistent all the way through. Anything that looks like dark spots is just shadows I tried to get two angles on it.

Half a C.W. Rice L-Mold (would guess these are from the 50s)
1000022551.jpg

A look into what is most likely a pre-CPC/pre-ASM CSQ chip...
1000022552.jpg

And while no leaded chip ever broke on its way to me or even on my watch, my girlfriend still found a way to take a look into leaded THC when she helped me with milling...

1000022553.jpg

It seems like the base color pushes pretty deeply in to the spot.
My experience is that different colors have different thermal properties.

Colors that soften at lower temperatures will 'give way' to those colors that soften at a higher temp when pressue is applied -- regardless of the relative position (base or spot).

Getting multiple colors with varying materials and characteristics to all play nice together in a single heat/pressure/time operation is just one of the aspects of chip-making that crosses from manufacturing into the artistic realm.

that crosses from manufacturing into the artistic realm.
I was looking for a quote I had from years ago but can't seem to find it. I can't remember who said it (I think it was Jim Blanchard but am not sure) but it was along the line of "Paul Endy really knew how to make/do an insert (i.e. edge spot)". The gist of it being he could make even, good looking spots by feel as much as equipment.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom