What Causes Chips to Look Like This (1 Viewer)

RussB42

Flush
Reaction score
I have been ask what causes this on Paulson's ?

Attachments

• 100_5175.JPG
    100_5175.JPG
    167.8 KB · Views: 349
Contact with acid maybe?
Low concentration, over a longer time period, probably on an uneven/organic surface where not the whole chip is in surface contact?

Is that the same condition that you see on BCC's when they are extremely dry?

Have not Oiled them yet.

I now remember some of my BCC Chips were this way many years ago in Mint Condition.

Oiling them did I think, solve the condition.

I have these listed on eBay, and thhis question was ask..

It seems older dark color Paulson and BCC chips both show this marbled look. I have no idea the cause but it is or was common, especially in solid color chips it seems. I suspect has to do with manufacturing process and is not a mistake or anything, especially since BCC solids show it and those guys used to make Paulson chips before they split off.

I recently got a few racks of Paulsons that had likely been sitting in their original boxes in storage for 10 or 20 years or more, and many chips, especially the green chips, had similar striations. Just my guess at what causes this is that the clay material is not completely uniform, and some areas of the chip 'dry out' or evaporate any retained moisture or oils faster than others. (again, just my guess)

Here's a Pic with Mineral Oil applied.
When I applied mineral oil, it made the striations completely disappear. I was amazed at the transformation. I see you already figured this out. (Although I haven't gone back to check the look after a few months).

That's the result of regular wear and tear, but without a source of oil. If the chips are being played, they'll naturally pick up some oil and/or keep their own.

If you rattle them in boxes, they'll get wear with no oil... or else some of their own oils will evaporate.

When I applied mineral oil, it made the striations completely disappear. I was amazed at the transformation. I see you already figured this out. (Although I haven't gone back to check the look after a few months).

Exactly.

FYI, mineral oil will evaporate, but very, very slowly. Months. An oiling will last longer if they're sealed up in storage than if they're out.

Other oils - ironically called "drying oils" - will polymerize in hours or days, and form a hard finish that won't evaporate (think oiled furniture or oil-based paint; it doesn't actually "dry," it polymerizes and turns hard.) Most chippers prefer mineral oil.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom