What causes chip warping? (1 Viewer)

Honestly I was just here for information on causes of warping and if that condition is acceptable to sell as new...the rest is how the chips fall

Not to defend anyone here, but it's possible that chips stored in a box (or especially a rack, where tightly stacked) may not appear to be warped until unboxed/unracked and stacked free-form. In other words, the vendor may be unaware of the condition.

All discussion here (beyond possible causes of warping) is pointless until the vendor is contacted.

I’ve come across new chips that have some slight warping as well, nothing as extreme as the above examples, but still not rock solid. I’m thinking they came from the factory like that, or like @BGinGA said it’s how they were stored. In my opinion, storing perfectly mint chips in Paulson/24010 racks could be part of the problem, as they fit so tight and all the pressure is on half the barrel. That’s been my thought process, and the wobbling barrels tilt me a little as well.

Out of respect for the vendor who has contacted me to make everything good I will nemove my content... not here to start fights or ruin anyone's reputation just upset with a transaction and apologize for a mistake and calling that person things that I shouldn't have. Ben

Last edited:
I think anyone here would be pissed to get chips in the condition that you’re describing @Ben8257. Especially, when you’re expecting the exact opposite as apparently advertised. Could be some kinda oversight? idk. Seems like it’d be incredibly short sided of the vendor especially since ur a longtime customer. Hope all gets worked out to your satisfaction.

I had paulson rhc chips I bought that were new/mint and had been stored for a long time in boxes. When I received them they were perfect and in a few weeks after transferring them to racks lightly oiling them and storing them in an air conditioned closet they warped slightly. Not bad and they haven’t gotten any worse since.

I have a theory , regarding brand new star chips, got in perfect condition, fresh from factory. I notice very slight warping , very slight, after a few years. They were stored in the boxes in my bedroom. Sure there is temperature changes, and humidity, but not so extreme . What I am thinking, with regard to factory fresh chips, is that the clay hasn't cured completely. So when they sit in boxes, they are on their edges. I was thinking if they were stored on their face, the extra weight would keep them perfect, as they cure. Just an idea in my head

I've never seen a warped chip. Can you show some pics please?
20191101_161342.jpg

Just captured this beautiful image for ya buddy!! I think you can see that one... straight out of the box from the mail man!!

Also a great inlay theme.

Warped Cardroom -- embrace the variance!
Definitely a major part of my life now being a hot stamp frac collector!! Had to bake about 80 this evening alone... first round a few like seen in the picture take a few rounds to get them back to close!! Cool concept though I agree sir!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom